• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

LIONS FIRE SCHWARTZ OFFICIALLY

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem I had with it the most is that the defense now knows exactly what you're doing with no running back in the backfield.

Exactly. What happened to deception? Even if you plan on going empty you should line up with at least one in the backfield followed by an audible and a quick snap.

Valion78

SportsHoopla Noob
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the OL wasn't the problem this year - it was the almost total inability to adjust at halftime and to then react to the other team's adjustments. How many games this year did the Lions dominate in the first half to then get wiped in the last 30 minutes? In this case the team really did get out-coached in nearly every game this year.

The OL is OK, even good, and it should be better next year than it was this year.

Sign Lovie quick before someone else does.

The o line made vast improvements this year. I think that we all would agree. We didn't play to our strength as a team this season. Coaches became comfortable with a lead (even small ones) and the offense went conservative. We started running 4 min offense in the third quarter.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has anyone actually said "best" OLine?

TP said Detroit had arguably THE best OLine, but definitely top 5 or something along those lines.

Valion78

SportsHoopla Noob
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. What happened to deception? Even if you plan on going empty you should line up with at least one in the backfield followed by an audible and a quick snap.

I really believe we win the Ravens game if we use a little play action in those situations instead. Buy a split second with the run threat and throw down the field. I use the last play Philly used on us this year. Run formation and run fake to a wide open receiver. We'll. ever know.:noidea:

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it was the almost total inability to adjust at halftime and to then react to the other team's adjustments.

Linehan always made halftime adjustments. He adjusted away from what worked and straight into what didnt work.

Man would I love to see a defense that produces turnovers the way that Smith's always did.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see, so the offensive skill player's stats are what makes an offensive line good. My bad, I thought offensive line play is where offensive lines were judged...

TP -- what do you believe directly correlates to the stat's of the skill position players on offensive?

Look -- I think Detroit was light years better on the OL than they have been in the past, but to make the comment that you did, calling them arguably the best OL in the NFL is overboard.

Detroit has not one, but two capable backs, yet they were ranked 22nd in the NFL in YPC, while facing 7 in the box the vast majority of the time, because teams game planned to stop Calvin.

If you wanted to say Detroit is in the top 5 for pass protection -- I would say, I can see that argument. But if you've noticed -- we changed 60% of the OL and they excelled in the same part the last OL excelled in (pass protection), which makes me believe, Stafford throwing the ball away or forcing throws has a lot to do with that, instead of taking the sack.

I think that had a lot to do with why Stafford was sacked 5 times the last game, because instead of forcing a throw -- he would take the sack, instead of risking a turnover.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TrustmeImright, is right on this one.

C'mon guys, this Oline is at worst, 15th in the NFL. This Oline really doesn't do what most good Olines do and that's imposing their will on defenders. Lions still struggle to run the ball consistently and they aren't really good at play-action when Stafford is under center. Does this Oline pick up blitzing consistently? From what I saw, when teams did blitz, Stafford was in trouble. As many times as the team ran screens, they shouldve gained tons of yards with it, yet they struggled. Regardless of what anybody says and how bad the coaches may be, I still believe they know what they have and thats why this team quit running at times.

I'd love to hear what the general consensus around the league would say about this Oline. I think they would say they are good but not a strength of the team. Its the QB more than it is the Oline. Its how teams game plan moreso the Oline. They are good, but not great.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that had a lot to do with why Stafford was sacked 5 times the last game, because instead of forcing a throw -- he would take the sack, instead of risking a turnover.
No Calvin definitely cuts back on forcing things. To me, the lack of Pettigrew affects the offense in both the run game and the pass game. He obviously is a receiving option, but without him occupying space and chip blocking, prior to releasing downfield, we saw Stafford face actual pressure. And take a few sacks. Seeing Joe Fauria block scared me. He's absolutely terrible at it.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didnt mean pull Reiff from the LT spot to insert him at FB. Come on man. I meant that package, obviously with someone else in that role.

Regardless, those numbers tell a much different story than many, myself included, were thinking about our third and short run blocking. While the passing numbers arent very good the jump in total % to a top quartile team would indicate we were actually very successful in running the ball in those situations.

Which would then lead to the question of why we didnt actually run it more? Have we actually underestimated just how pathetic Linehan really is?

Any chance we can find out what the % of the total plays in that statistical analysis were runs vs pass? It almost feels like we passed more than we ran. If that is indeed the case then the success rate running the ball would be magnified even more at a higher success rate to move the total success rate up from a lesser amount of the total sample pool.

In more basic terms, we were a shit ton better running than passing in that case and Linehan might actually be (is) the worst OC in the league.
I'd hope nobody would want Reif moved. But who else would fill that oversized Hback type spot? His athletic ability and size aren't attributes many players on the roster have. Suh could fill that role I suppose. But after the injury to the T/TE I think the package lost some its viability for this season. I know it tells a different story than most believe. There are plenty of numbers from this past season that don't jive with what people complain about the scheme/coaching over. Reggie Bush fumbling, Stafford getting picked, Calvin dropping TDs(my personal count was 5 dropped TDs counting the Giants game crossing route) killed the season, IMO. Third down playing calling earned the Lions the sixth best third down conversion rate in the league. I don't see that improving because someone else is wearing a headset.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hindsight imo. Quinn had health concerns at the time, that without he prob be a top 5 pick way before Lions ever get a chance to snag him. Plus Schwartz had his bff KVB manning the RE at the time and nobody worth mentioning next to Suh in the middle.

BAAAAHAAA

Mayhew specializes in risky picks. Jahvid Best and Broyles did not have clean bills of health when Mayhew decided they fit. Funny the risk he too sucked and the one he didn't pans out!.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a good thing this is a message board.

Otherwise, this would sound like a hen party.

Mikhel LeShoure thinks everyone should just sit back with him in his SUV and smoke a fat one to chill the fuck out!

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mikhel LeShoure thinks everyone should just sit back with him in his SUV and smoke a fat one to chill the fuck out!

Ha.... That's exactly what Im doing!!! Only it's a bowl and a Corolla and I didn't increase my speed this offseason.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TPAUL was on the right track. The OLine was good…not top 5 IMO but much improved. I was surprised how well they played with 3 new starters. A little continuity and they have even more potential!

I think the poor play calling rest squarely on Linehan's shoulders and the lack of that pure possession type receiver most good teams have. Without Calvin the Lions faced 8 man fronts or exotic blitz packages that made a sustained running game impossible without Calvin.

Fauria was a great pickup but my question is why didn't the Lions utilize him more and earlier? Why just as a red zone threat. The guy is a pure matchup nightmare? And I don't get why the fuck the Lions didn't use the play option pass. Shotgun is great but under center can and does work also.

Bell and Bush combined are a very good tandem and the Lions running game should be better if they find a way to make teams respect the side of the field without CJ on it!

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anyone actually bother to look up the stats?

2013 Lions O -

13th in total scoring/points.

6th in yards per game.

8th in yards per play.

3rd in 3rd downs made - (43%) Pretty good!

14th in 4th down made - (5/14) Not so good.

8th worst in penalties and 9th in yards (not all on O-line, just putting it out there).

TOP - 4th overall. Pretty impressive.

3rd worst in fumbles (28/lost 15)

29th in TO ratio with - 15 (killer)

Those are the O stats

I don't see numbers that tell me this team has a top 5 O-line. I see a lot of room for improvement, and some things they do well. I'm thrilled Reilly Reiff is starting caliber LT like I thought he would be. Love Larry Warford. Maybe Waddle is a keeper I'm not sure. Sims is 30 years old, not super old for an O lineman but getting up there. Not sure how many years you guys expect Ravioli to play.

Can the O-line be addressed this off season. 100% yes. Probably will be. Doesn't mean it's the biggest need, or that there aren't bigger needs, or that an early pick must be spent on it. Just don't see a playoff caliber O-line out there right now. Sorry.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the OL wasn't the problem this year - it was the almost total inability to adjust at halftime and to then react to the other team's adjustments. How many games this year did the Lions dominate in the first half to then get wiped in the last 30 minutes? In this case the team really did get out-coached in nearly every game this year.

The OL is OK, even good, and it should be better next year than it was this year.

Adjusting to the adjustments is something the Lions did not adjust well too.:noidea:

Sounds like something Maxwell Smart would say:doh:

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anyone actually bother to look up the stats?
Yeah, earlier, before lunch.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hindsight imo. Quinn had health concerns at the time, that without he prob be a top 5 pick way before Lions ever get a chance to snag him. Plus Schwartz had his bff KVB manning the RE at the time and nobody worth mentioning next to Suh in the middle.

He was an injury risk, probably to the degree Fairley was a character risk. Hard to say who was better but I clearly remember Quinn being like top ten in almost every mock I saw that off season.