• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lincoln Journal Star to start charging for articles

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well this fucking sucks

It will work like this: In any 30-day period, you’ll have access to up to 10 views of locally produced content. Advertisements, contests and national and international news will not count toward those 10 views.

After those 10 views, you’ll be asked to purchase an online subscription. For seven-day subscribers to the Journal Star, the price will be $1.95 per month. For others, it will cost just $9.95 per month. After 30 days, your meter returns to zero stories, and the count starts again.

JournalStar.com building for the future : The Lincoln Journal Star Online

wonder if playing around with the computers system date would help...

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sucks, but I respect it.

Newspapers are becoming a relic. They need to put food on the table and they went as long as they could. I don't think they did it out of greed as much as necessity.

What's funny about OWH is you can still see the article if you scroll down gradually. If they're smart they won't make the page available at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am absolutely not joining another $10 per month scam.......

You have to cum in a jar and prove that it's your sperm just to get your account cancelled at these fuckin' sites.........all they really want is for ye to join and forget to cancel your account and keep getting charged for it.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just watch ESPN to learn I all I need to know about the world of sports...... They tell me who I should think is good.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was a time when I was a member of ESPN Insider, Scout.com, and Rivals.com all at the same time.

What a fuckin' mess that was trying to get those things cancelled.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was a time when I was a member of ESPN Insider, Scout.com, and Rivals.com all at the same time.

What a fuckin' mess that was trying to get those things cancelled.

ESPN was so bad to cancel that I just reported my card lost and then they couldn't charge it anymore.

Blackshirt

Who is Mike Riley?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Newspaper industry is a dying business, whats new?

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was a Paperboy from 11-14 y/o.

I had 3 OWH routes (approx 240 customers) and delivered the paper 7 days a week 365 days a year. I made damn sure my customer's paper was on the porch and if it was raining/snowing I'd either put it inside the storm door or in a place (agreed w/ my customer when I landed their business) where it wouldn't get wet. When I collected I got tips from probably 90% of my customers ($.50 here $1 there), and at Christmas time my tips were generally larger than their monthly bill ($5-$10).
I even lost my virginity to a 20 something chick (going to Dana College) while collecting at an apartment complex one Saturday morning. :dhd: She answered the door in a red silky robe and invited me in ("needed to get her purse"). I stood there in her living room and couldn't take my eyes off her. We started verbal teasing, and one thing led to another. I nailed her twice after that then she moved :(.
I quit the paper routes when I turned 15 and took a cooking job until I graduated high school and went into the military.
When I came back from the military I subscribed and the delivery person (whom I never did meet) would just drive by and wing it out his car window into my driveway. Sometimes it missed and was in the drainage ditch. I ate 2 newspapers w/ my snowblower because I couldn't find it and had to clear my driveway. Took me an hour to get that bastard out of the auger, piece by piece w/ a pair of plyers and a screwdriver. I got the bill in the mail and there was always a place for "carrier tip" on it. I tipped the first couple of months then said fuck this and just paid the basic bill after numerous wet papers.
I quit taking the paper a couple of years later (when I figured out I was only taing it for the crossword puzzle) and haven't been a subscriber for probably 14 years now.
Buffet's been buying up newpapers left and right so there's gotta still be money in it. However, they'll never get it from me.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Des Moines Register is doing the same thing. It actually isn't anything new. There are some state-wide publications that have already stopped their printing and have done everything online. I bet in the next 5 years, newspapers like Des Moines Register, Lincoln Journal Star, and Omaha World Herald will not be printing. Why buy paper that is trash the next day when you can just look at it for free online? What profit does the newspaper make. I don't think it's worth paying for unless you are interested in many sections of the newspaper, but I don't think it's worth those publications to have all free website with the articles.

Big Red Said

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C'mon gents... we still will be able to get the "Bleacher report" for free! :kev:

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C'mon gents... we still will be able to get the "Bleacher report" for free! :kev:

that's cuz nobody would pay a dime for it. That is one rag that COULD print on paper... and sell it on rolls about 4 inches wide with perforations every 4 inches or so...........

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL...

I just met my 10 article limit for the month.........so the message pops up on the screen and asks me to pay $9.95...........but I can still read the article in the background by scrolling down the screen, it's just dark tinted a little :lol:

Still can see all the videos and what not........all the blog entries. Nothing lost as far as I can see.

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just pay the 99 cents for the OWH content you cheap fucks.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not that I'm cheap..........it's just that I'm sick of getting in these pickles. That's all they are.......pickles.

If there's one thing I've realized over the years, it's that I need to create a website where I can trick people into joining for $9.95 a month, and then somewhere hidden deep away in the fine print it will say something about recurring charges each month if you don't cancel your account...........then of course just make it nearly impossible to cancel your account

= millionaire JJM