• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Life as a Redskins Fan

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a serious note, I can understand this. If you live in a city where a sports team is really succeeding, and people are passionate about it, and they are likeable, how do you not start to get caught up? I live in Houston and the Astros' run was pretty special. I didn't become an Astros fan, but I can understand why some people probably did. They are a great team to root for right now.

Ritzarmy

RIP WLK Loving father, husband, & friend to ALL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TWo things on this

1. I been in Florida for 15 years now. I usually make it a point to get home for two home games minimum and I try to make 1-2 away games a year. IF the Redskins make another Super Bowl and win it in my life time pretty sure my boss wont expect me at work for a couple of days as I drive up for the parade. So leaving this team for me would mean walking away from the NFL all together. I'm dead center of Jags and Bucs territory, and BOTH teams look to have a brighter future than the Redskins currently. But then again IM pushing 50 and switching teams would be sort of like leaving my wife for a college Jr.

2. I have said it before, and you point it out here. I feel for the Redskins fans in your age range. All they have really known is the Snyder way. I include my sons in this group actually. And as a result, even though many of these fans rail against the way things are done in Ashburn, and even when they know deep down moves like this trade are just the latest win off the field, because they have never seen the Redskins really be good, its easy to convince yourself that this time they will get it right.

So yea, if I decide I'm no longer a Redskins fan, I would likely spend my Sundays fishing. And fuck Dan Snyder... he and Bruce are a poor excuse for JKC and Beathard.

Where you live? I’m in North Port, FL for 1 more week before I take my Redskin stuff to Texas.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where you live? I’m in North Port, FL for 1 more week before I take my Redskin stuff to Texas.

Orlando, about 30 minutes east of the house of mouse

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2016 NFL Regular Season Standings - National Football League

As a reminder - all 4 NFC division winners had .500 or worse records last season & were not in the playoffs. Of the last 10 SBs only 1 NFC has been there more than once (SEA). Pt being that things change rapidly in the NFL & in the NFC in particular.

Obviously the Skins have to clean up their act somewhat, but it is not impossible to believe that they can be contenders in time with the rt moves. I am not saying this simply as a Redskins fan but rather someone who sees how just about anything is possible in this league over time. QB is an area where there are unknowns that could go good or bad for this team. Perhaps they draft a relative unknown who thrives over time or perhaps Smith still has something left in the tank - we will see. It will also be interesting to see what happens if they have decent health next season.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a serious note, I can understand this. If you live in a city where a sports team is really succeeding, and people are passionate about it, and they are likeable, how do you not start to get caught up? I live in Houston and the Astros' run was pretty special. I didn't become an Astros fan, but I can understand why some people probably did. They are a great team to root for right now.

I live about 2 hours south of Jacksonville with traffic, the Jags are a pretty likeable bunch at the moment. Bortles is a local kid who played paintball with my boys ( before coaches banned him from playing in the interests of his football career)

I'm not particularly happy with the Redskins front office for a very long time now.

If I walked away from the redskins, much as I did with Basketball and the Wizards... I would walk away from following the sport.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the record, when I lived in Dallas, when they were pretty good a few years ago with Romo, I never thought about becoming a Cowboys fan. Thought never crossed my mind. Would never happen.

Skins2021

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the record, when I lived in Dallas, when they were pretty good a few years ago with Romo, I never thought about becoming a Cowboys fan. Thought never crossed my mind. Would never happen.

I was born and raised outside of NYC. I moved to Philly 6 years ago.

I would have never considered jumping ship to the Giants. Always rooted a little bit for the Jets but a Giants fan? Completely unfathomable to me.

I got to say adding everything up

Philly > NYC

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yep - I get it. The "likeable" part is the key. I live in "Roll Tide" territory & I genuinely feel happy for the true fans who are considerate & passionate about AL. However there are tons of other fans of that team that aren't so likeable & as a result make it very hard to like that team.

Of course the wildcard in this is if you are the fan of the rival - that makes it very hard to root for that team especially if you team is not doing so well (e.g. Redskins fans rooting for Eagles). In any case - congrats on yesterday.

Skins2021

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You really appear to be portraying Smith as being much worse than he played last season. Did you forgot that he was making a serious case at one pt in the season to be MVP? His stats & on field play were very good for most of the season. If you want to state that was just last season then I would ask what the hell did Keenum do outside of last season? The answer - zip & he is a few days short of 30.

I can understand being somewhat upset with the trade (especially giving up Fuller) but time to move on. Again - I would also pt out that no way in hell were the Redskins & Cousins ever going to come to terms on a LTD. I have no real issue with settling on Smith & yes perhaps they gave up too much, but if it works out then it is fine, and we can't undo it. If you want to jump ship - fine - & I don't hold it against you. I will always be a Redskins fan so I have no choice but to root for the best which means rooting for Smith & really not giving a crap about Cousins (unless his team plays the Skins).

I think Alex Smith is a good QB. I think Alex Smith also had better weapons then what we will provide him with. I also think at times Smith held back the Chiefs offense.

Its pretty simple with Alex Smith the chiefs were perennial division contenders but never SB contenders. In fact they have 1 playoff win in like 30 something years.

Smith wasnt going to take them to the next level and they didnt want to accept that. Thats why they drafted Mahomes. This is widely known.

Skins however would be satisfied with being good but not good enough and that doesnt sit well.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I went to college in New York, and never considered becoming a Giants fan. I'm a hardcore Eagles and Sixers fan, for life at this point. I don't think that can change. But I did get into the Houston Texans a little, considered them "my AFC team".

Skins2021

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep - I get it. The "likeable" part is the key. I live in "Roll Tide" territory & I genuinely feel happy for the true fans who are considerate & passionate about AL. However there are tons of other fans of that team that aren't so likeable & as a result make it very hard to like that team.

Of course the wildcard in this is if you are the fan of the rival - that makes it very hard to root for that team especially if you team is not doing so well (e.g. Redskins fans rooting for Eagles). In any case - congrats on yesterday.

This is where you need to have some perspective... the majority of my lifetime the Skins have been terrible. So bad that they are out of serious division contention by late October.

I grew up outside NYC. I hated the giants. I'm a redskins fan I absolutely hated the cowboys. I found myself often pulling for the eagles to win the division over the giants and cowboys.

Pretty much every single season during the McNabb era late season games Giants - Eagles or Cowboys - Eagles and rooting for Eagles to take division.

15 years later Skins still suck Eagles just won their first SB and I live in the middle of it all.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is where you need to have some perspective... the majority of my lifetime the Skins have been terrible. So bad that they are out of serious division contention by late October.

I grew up outside NYC. I hated the giants. I'm a redskins fan I absolutely hated the cowboys. I found myself often pulling for the eagles to win the division over the giants and cowboys.

Pretty much every single season during the McNabb era late season games Giants - Eagles or Cowboys - Eagles and rooting for Eagles to take division.

15 years later Skins still suck Eagles just won their first SB and I live in the middle of it all.

Sounds like you decided dude. Go get a Wentz jersey and enjoy the parade.

Life is too short to hate the team you want pull for AND wish you could be a fan of the local team instead.

For me, I'm getting to the point where I might just buy a new boat to occupy my Sundays.

Skins2021

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Life is too short to hate the team you want pull for AND wish you could be a fan of the local team instead.

For me, I'm getting to the point where I might just buy a new boat to occupy my Sundays.

Snyder did this. I hate big government in all forms but in this instance I almost wish the NFL would take control and be like welllll you are clearly ruining a once proud organization. pipe dream though.

Skins2021

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Corey Clement would be my first Eagles Jersey.

Thats another thing. Who is it on the Skins?

I have the following Skins jerseys in order
1) Champ Bailey - out of commission
2) Chris Cooley - still wear it
3) Laron Landry - out of commission
4) Donovan McNabb - still wear it for laughs
5) Brian Orakpo - out of commission
6) Sean Taylor - probably the one i wear 95% of the time

(I only bought Taylor for myself the others were Christmas gifts. I would have wanted Cooley, Bailey, and probably Landry. I opened up McNabb and Orakpos and gave a ohhhhhh thanks response)

I kid you not last year my debate was for my next jersey. Jamison Crowder or ......Sua Cravens
I would have went with a Cousins if he was locked up long term.

Kerrigan? Trent Williams? Awesome players but names on the back of a jersey?

Among the many other things wrong with the organization the Skins also lack real star power.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That is fair enough & BTW I was not referring to you specifically. I was thinking more in the way that I would handle the situation or how others would react.

Personally I can't stand the Eagles & almost to the same pt as the Cowboys. I was born in Philly & have lots of relatives there. Over time I have been to Eagles-Skins games home & away & didn't find the experience pleasant. I am happy for some of the decent, long suffering Eagles fans but in no way does their SB victory bring me joy.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Corey Clement would be my first Eagles Jersey.

Thats another thing. Who is it on the Skins?

I have the following Skins jerseys in order
1) Champ Bailey - out of commission
2) Chris Cooley - still wear it
3) Laron Landry - out of commission
4) Donovan McNabb - still wear it for laughs
5) Brian Orakpo - out of commission
6) Sean Taylor - probably the one i wear 95% of the time

(I only bought Taylor for myself the others were Christmas gifts. I would have wanted Cooley, Bailey, and probably Landry. I opened up McNabb and Orakpos and gave a ohhhhhh thanks response)

I kid you not last year my debate was for my next jersey. Jamison Crowder or ......Sua Cravens
I would have went with a Cousins if he was locked up long term.

Kerrigan? Trent Williams? Awesome players but names on the back of a jersey?

Among the many other things wrong with the organization the Skins also lack real star power.

Sua Cravens instead of Kerrigan or Williams - seriously?

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Might add years to your life instead of getting stressed over this team. :D

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The problem with the Skins though is that as a team they value star power over continuity. Dan is always looking for the guy who will make you buy jerseys over the guy that will win you games. Now it would be great to have both. But we just don't have that kind of luck apparently.

So yet again we are probably going to go all splash and flash this off season.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sua Cravens instead of Kerrigan or Williams - seriously?

If it makes you feel any better, my Son has Orakpo, had wore 98 in school. When Rak left we got him a Cravens Jersey last off season. :doh:

Skins2021

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So yet again we are probably going to go all splash and flash this off season.

There is not a doubt in my mind that the Skins will be extremely active in free agency.