• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Le'Veon Bell

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both are correct. I'm not sure if I understand it completely but here's my understanding of it:

Bell needs to report before their week 10 game THIS THURSDAY in order to sign & collect the remainder of the franchise tag for this season which is roughly $6.8mil. If he doesn't, then the tag is void and the Steelers have the option to place the tag on him AGAIN for the exact same price. Or not but the Steelers still hold the cards in that situation. Reporting now gives him more power in the offseason. I think the people saying he shouldn't report are saying that because the remainder of the contract is less in comparison to what he has already voided from holding out (~$8mil). And his FA contract in the offseason will exceed those amounts anyways with higher guarantees.

so, everyone saying he shouldn't report are just assuming the Steelers aren't going to tag him again?

What are the chances that the Steelers would tag him again? I don't see any reason they would, unless they just want to screw him?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so, everyone saying he shouldn't report are just assuming the Steelers aren't going to tag him again?

What are the chances that the Steelers would tag him again? I don't see any reason they would, unless they just want to screw him?
I guess so.

I don't see it happening. Steelers misplayed their hand as well with holding onto his rights and not being more aggressive with a trade. But then again Bell was playing right into their hand by rolling over nearly $8mil into their cap next year (if he reports this week). Their wasn't any pressure to move him. But given the circumstances of how everything played out, I don't think the Steelers will want to keep his name in any discussion next year. Time to wash their hands clean of him and move the hell on. He's an unnecessary distraction. At this point Colbert just wants to get some sort of value from letting him walk, which is the comp pick. Not sure how they can get that at this point. Might have to rescind the tag? A lot of it is unclear to me at this point.

@Superbelt or @ATL96Steeler seem to know more about it than I do.

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess so.

I don't see it happening. Steelers misplayed their hand as well with holding onto his rights and not being more aggressive with a trade. But then again Bell was playing right into their hand by rolling over nearly $8mil into their cap next year. Their wasn't any pressure to move him. But given the circumstances of how everything played out, I don't think the Steelers will want to keep his name in any discussion next year. Time to wash their hands clean of him and move the hell on. He's an unnecessary distraction. At this point Colbert just wants to get some sort of value from letting him walk, which is the comp pick for his departure. Not sure how they can get that at this point. Might have to rescind the tag? A lot of it is unclear to me at this point.

@Superbelt seems to know more about it than I do.

it's just weird that all along, everyone was saying he was going to HAVE to report by a certain date and now everyone is like, "it would be dumb for him to report at all". I still don't know what changed in the whole scenario that has made everyone do a complete 180.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's just weird that all along, everyone was saying he was going to HAVE to report by a certain date and now everyone is like, "it would be dumb for him to report at all". I still don't know what changed in the whole scenario that has made everyone do a complete 180.
I think both were always an option, just the latter was less discussed because everyone was expecting him to fold his cards before this point in time.

Seeing the amassed money he left on the table made everyone realize it more & more.

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think both were always an option, just the latter was less discussed because everyone was expecting him to fold his cards before this point in time.

Seeing the amassed money he left on the table made everyone realize it more & more.

ah, ok .... that makes sense

Maximus Rex

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,357.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There were erroneous reports out there earlier that he had to show by week 10 or whatever to get credit for the season for free agency purposes. Those reports were long, because he's already been in the league long enough and doesn't need to "accrue" another season. That's probably what's confusing you.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess so.

I don't see it happening. Steelers misplayed their hand as well with holding onto his rights and not being more aggressive with a trade. But then again Bell was playing right into their hand by rolling over nearly $8mil into their cap next year (if he reports this week). Their wasn't any pressure to move him. But given the circumstances of how everything played out, I don't think the Steelers will want to keep his name in any discussion next year. Time to wash their hands clean of him and move the hell on. He's an unnecessary distraction. At this point Colbert just wants to get some sort of value from letting him walk, which is the comp pick. Not sure how they can get that at this point. Might have to rescind the tag? A lot of it is unclear to me at this point.

In my opinion of what they might do:

They can franchise him again, even if he comes in under the top 5 salaries in the league. They don't have to actually allocate that money until he signs his tender, which he won't do.

So they hold his rights, and immediately shop him around to interested teams. Bell would have input on this, because he would want to choose the team, and would negotiate a salary before he would sign and trade away.

It's in the Steelers best interest, if they think they can get a 3rd or better in next years draft to do this.

If no trade could be had, they can always rescind the tag and let Bell walk. But there isn't much risk of actually paying him any money.

Maximus Rex

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,357.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He HAS to report by mid November for this tag to toll. If he doesn't, his tag doesn't bump a level, and the Steelers can franchise him at about 15 million again, rather than the top 5 salaries in the league of $23 million +

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my opinion of what they might do:

They can franchise him again, even if he comes in under the top 5 salaries in the league. They don't have to actually allocate that money until he signs his tender, which he won't do.

So they hold his rights, and immediately shop him around to interested teams. Bell would have input on this, because he would want to choose the team, and would negotiate a salary before he would sign and trade away.

It's in the Steelers best interest, if they think they can get a 3rd or better in next years draft to do this.

If no trade could be had, they can always rescind the tag and let Bell walk. But there isn't much risk of actually paying him any money.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leave it to Me'Veon to stir up the pot with social media and then do nothing... What an asshole

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At any rate, if he never signs, the Stillers will have a bonus $14.5 million in their cap to help afford another Bell tag at $25 million. No sweat. They aren't players in the first round of free agency, anyway. They have the time.

And then they can trade him away.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the issue though.... I think his value is low across the league. While I can imagine a team (it only takes one) giving him a free agent deal, I can't imagine them wanting to give up a pick for him. There is just too much risk with him right now and the reward seems much lower than originally thought (given Conner's performance).

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both are correct. I'm not sure if I understand it completely but here's my understanding of it:

Bell needs to report before their week 10 game THIS THURSDAY in order to sign & collect the remainder of the franchise tag for this season which is roughly $6.8mil. If he doesn't, then the tag is void and the Steelers have the option to place the tag on him AGAIN for the exact same price. Or not but the Steelers still hold the cards in that situation. Reporting now gives him more power in the offseason. I think the people saying he shouldn't report are saying that because the remainder of the contract is less in comparison to what he has already voided from holding out (~$8mil). And his FA contract in the offseason will exceed those amounts anyways with higher guarantees.

Face my man.....

He has until next Tuesday to show up.
But beings it is a short week there was thought he might show up to cheat his two week roster restriction thing......

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess so.

Every dime he does NOT collect this year makes what they tag him at next year less and less.