• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Let's take 4 from the hated A's!

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does a persons heart good to see Colby do well. 9-4 against Oakland in his career.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was a great catch by Beltre on the foul pop down the 3rd base line. Then follows it up by starting a DP.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was a great catch by Beltre on the foul pop down the 3rd base line. Then follows it up by starting a DP.
What can you say about the guy except "greatness"?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Few of my observations from last night.

1. Beltre's timing isn't quite there yet, but we know he's a slow starter.

2. Colby is still a stud. He may well end up being our second best pitcher this year, and if he can really elevate his game it could be huge for this team.

3. Choo will be fine. Timing isn't quite there yet, but he'll be there soon enough. He's still got the Murphy zone in his head a bit from last season. Hopefully that doesn't continue into this season. I don't understand what it is about left handed hitters that come to Texas suddenly start getting screwed on outside pitches, but that crap needs to stop.

4. Getting someone on in front of Fielder is very important. It either eliminates the shift, or forces the defense to drastically minimize it. I still think Fielder may win comeback player of the year.

5. It was nice to win, but we should've done more on offense with as many times as we had the leadoff man on base. We never really punished Hahn for doing that consistently.

6. 2 errors in 2 games already. Get your shit together Elvis. My patience is wearing thin.

7. Rua looked real bad at the plate last night, and Mitch is having good at bats. He's putting good swings on the ball and taking the ball to straight away center and left field. That is when he gets dangerous. He's got the strength to play oppo ball all day.

8. Feliz, and Tolleson looked great. Fliz was hitting 94 regularly, and I loved that he kept dropping offspeed pitches in there for strikes. Kela learned a big lesson yesterday. That was a very positive experience for him, and I like him a lot. Once Scheppers gets back, the back end of that bullpen could be really good with Flex, Tolleson, Scheppers, and Kela. Not to mention Mendez has a lot of potential as well.

Feel free to add your own observations, or tell me mine are stupid. :D

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Few of my observations from last night.

1. Beltre's timing isn't quite there yet, but we know he's a slow starter.

2. Colby is still a stud. He may well end up being our second best pitcher this year, and if he can really elevate his game it could be huge for this team.

3. Choo will be fine. Timing isn't quite there yet, but he'll be there soon enough. He's still got the Murphy zone in his head a bit from last season. Hopefully that doesn't continue into this season. I don't understand what it is about left handed hitters that come to Texas suddenly start getting screwed on outside pitches, but that crap needs to stop.

4. Getting someone on in front of Fielder is very important. It either eliminates the shift, or forces the defense to drastically minimize it. I still think Fielder may win comeback player of the year.

5. It was nice to win, but we should've done more on offense with as many times as we had the leadoff man on base. We never really punished Hahn for doing that consistently.

6. 2 errors in 2 games already. Get your shit together Elvis. My patience is wearing thin.

7. Rua looked real bad at the plate last night, and Mitch is having good at bats. He's putting good swings on the ball and taking the ball to straight away center and left field. That is when he gets dangerous. He's got the strength to play oppo ball all day.

8. Feliz, and Tolleson looked great. Fliz was hitting 94 regularly, and I loved that he kept dropping offspeed pitches in there for strikes. Kela learned a big lesson yesterday. That was a very positive experience for him, and I like him a lot. Once Scheppers gets back, the back end of that bullpen could be really good with Flex, Tolleson, Scheppers, and Kela. Not to mention Mendez has a lot of potential as well.

Feel free to add your own observations, or tell me mine are stupid. :D

I have thought all along that our bullpen was going to be just fine. The local media seems to not think so. The inexperience doesn't both me as I have seen inexperienced guys do very well in our bullpen over the past few years.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have thought all along that our bullpen was going to be just fine. The local media seems to not think so. The inexperience doesn't both me as I have seen inexperienced guys do very well in our bullpen over the past few years.

JD always builds a solid bullpen. I'm never worried about that.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the potential problem I see with our BP; the starters.

I'm just not comfortable with how many innings we're gonna get outta that five-some. Although I feel good - baring any major health problems - about Holland & Gallardo, after that it concerns me.

Colby, and not even taking into account of his injury concerns, will be 36 late in the season. And with Yu gone, there went 190-210 innings - quality innings at that - and I'm wondering if we'll get 10% more than this outta the combination of Detwiler/Martinez.

That's a lot of lost starter innings.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen at least 3 at-bats so far where he just got under the ball. A tiny adjustment and those are crushed.

He has put some good wood on the ball but my biggest concern with Mitch and always has been is what he does with men in scoring position in a close game. He seems to get RBIs when the game is out of reach. With a man on 3rd and 1 out last night he strikes out. Hopefully that changes.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the potential problem I see with our BP; the starters.

I'm just not comfortable with how many innings we're gonna get outta that five-some. Although I feel good - baring any major health problems - about Holland & Gallardo, after that it concerns me.

Colby, and not even taking into account of his injury concerns, will be 36 late in the season. And with Yu gone, there went 190-210 innings - quality innings at that - and I'm wondering if we'll get 10% more than this outta the combination of Detwiler/Martinez.

That's a lot of lost starter innings.

Detweiler is really the only one I am concerned about whether we'll get enough innings out of. I could see that going either way.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has put some good wood on the ball but my biggest concern with Mitch and always has been is what he does with men in scoring position in a close game. He seems to get RBIs when the game is out of reach. With a man on 3rd and 1 out last night he strikes out. Hopefully that changes.

I think this is more confirmation bias imo. If Mitch stays healthy, I really think he'll have a good year.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detweiler is really the only one I am concerned about whether we'll get enough innings out of. I could see that going either way.
I think Detwiler is on a short leash and could be replaced in the rotation after a few bad starts if any of our minor league pitchers appear to be worthy of a call up.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Detwiler is on a short leash and could be replaced in the rotation after a few bad starts if any of our minor league pitchers appear to be worthy of a call up.

I really hope he comes thru as a starter for us but if he does get shelled you are right and he may end up being the lefty we need in the BP.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't see that happening until a couple months down the road, if before the AS break. Unless he gets shelled every start for a month, which I doubt, I think he is in the rotation until they bring Chi Chi up post AS break. I don't really want to see Tep and unless they keep Ohlendorf stretched out when he gets back, I don't think anyone else has earned a shot yet.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colby Lewis earns Rangers' first win of season

Starting pitcher Colby Lewis earned the Rangersfirst win of the year in a 3-1 win at the Athletics on Tuesday.

Lewis pitched six innings and allowed one run on three hits. He walked two and struck out four. Lewis threw 93 pitches, 54 for strikes.

"He just had a really good cutter-slider going," A's manager Bob Melvin said, per MLB.com. "We talked about it before, that he's not going to give in. The counts he gets behind, he's not going to throw you fastballs."

Lewis won his first start of the season for the first time since 2012. His next start will be at home, Sunday, against the Astros and Dallas Keuchel.

Next start will be a good test at home vs. Kuechel who pitched well in his first start for Houston.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers to play Carlos Corporan over Robinson Chirinos

The Rangers announced their lineup for Tuesday's game, reports the Dallas Morning News. The team will play Carlos Corporan over Robinson Chirinos at catcher. Chirinos has been dealing with concussion issues.

This isn't good, wondered why Cheerio didnt start last night