• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Let's play GM

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
lee to old, fragile, and expensive.
hamels to expensive and what has he really done.
was great one year and WS MVP.
never the ace of his team. rarely facing off against the other 1 or 2.

like our pitching prospects and unless we can get some one as a rental, or someone who is really an ace who we can keep for awhile, i am not interested in rolling the dice.

need to figure out catching and 1B for next year as it could really be a year we legitimately can threaten, assuming health is not an issue.more than nicks and bumps.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually Hamlets would be pretty easy if a team took on his entire salary........but that team is not the Pirates.

Read and article this morning about Amaro wanting three top prospects and the whole salary off the books. I don't believe that's the real asking price, but it's just a plain old hard decision to make in the middle of the season, for both sides.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Read and article this morning about Amaro wanting three top prospects and the whole salary off the books. I don't believe that's the real asking price, but it's just a plain old hard decision to make in the middle of the season, for both sides.

I guess it depends on his perception of top prospects. Is he says 3 in BA's top 100 or 3 of a teams top 10? There is a huge difference. Him even suggestion that he should get that and the entire salary off the books just goes to show how incompetent he is. However, he really has no need to trade him because he is a pretty good pitcher and the Phillies have him under control to multiple years.

However if you are talking Kingham, Heredia and Lambo plus other pieces, there would be no reason not to at least have a discussion. Another name to watch out for in trades would be Alen Hanson.......I think the organization is getting fed up with him, he has been benched twice this year. First time was for 6 games with not much of an explanation, second time was for lack of hustle. The play of Mercer since June and the emergence of JaCoby Jones could make him at least a little more expendable.

I must admit though, I am not sure I would be a fan of any trade involving Kingham.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess it depends on his perception of top prospects. Is he says 3 in BA's top 100 or 3 of a teams top 10? There is a huge difference. Him even suggestion that he should get that and the entire salary off the books just goes to show how incompetent he is. However, he really has no need to trade him because he is a pretty good pitcher and the Phillies have him under control to multiple years.

However if you are talking Kingham, Heredia and Lambo plus other pieces, there would be no reason not to at least have a discussion. Another name to watch out for in trades would be Alen Hanson.......I think the organization is getting fed up with him, he has been benched twice this year. First time was for 6 games with not much of an explanation, second time was for lack of hustle. The play of Mercer since June and the emergence of JaCoby Jones could make him at least a little more expendable.

I must admit though, I am not sure I would be a fan of any trade involving Kingham.

Yeah, fair point, depends on what he means by top prospects. Yeah, although they would probably be selling low on Hanson, but I would understand.

I like Jacoby Jones, but being 22 and hitting in WV isn't anything special. Hanson and Jones are the same age, and Hanson hit much better in WV at 19. There have been quite a few guys who flamed out after destroying the Sally League, Allie and Matt Curry come to mind immediately.

I like Kingham too, definitely an innings eater type guy.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah, fair point, depends on what he means by top prospects. Yeah, although they would probably be selling low on Hanson, but I would understand.

I like Jacoby Jones, but being 22 and hitting in WV isn't anything special. Hanson and Jones are the same age, and Hanson hit much better in WV at 19. There have been quite a few guys who flamed out after destroying the Sally League, Allie and Matt Curry come to mind immediately.

I like Kingham too, definitely an innings eater type guy.

In defense of Allie and Curry, they both did what they did for half a season and then received unwise promotions. Curry skipped to AA, Allie only had a half season as a hitter.

You points on Jones however are spot on. He has been getting better as the season has progressed though, and he also basically learning the SS position on the fly.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, forgot Curry skipped A+. But yeah, I guess cautiously optimistic of guys who hit well at WV. And it's not like Jones has no pedigree.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
True, forgot Curry skipped A+. But yeah, I guess cautiously optimistic of guys who hit well at WV. And it's not like Jones has no pedigree.

On the other side of the spectrum, Mel Rojas was pretty anemic in WV and seems to have found himself this year.....even if this turns out to be a career year for him.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
all the contracts for howard, utley, rollins, and hamels are crippling the phils.
just getting rid of the contracts would be moving forward,
if he can get anything in return is even better.
even if we could get hamels without giving any prospects would be hard to do given the $ he ties up. for a #3+ starter, that is a lot of money and would limit other positions.

we have the people to form a real staff if cole pans out to be a #1.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really wish that *every* contender wasn't going after the same dang thing: bullpen arms.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the other side of the spectrum, Mel Rojas was pretty anemic in WV and seems to have found himself this year.....even if this turns out to be a career year for him.

Yeah, been an interesting year. He was ok last year, so I buy he is semi legit. Would be nice to have a switch hitting 4th OF coming off the bench.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all the contracts for howard, utley, rollins, and hamels are crippling the phils.
just getting rid of the contracts would be moving forward,
if he can get anything in return is even better.
even if we could get hamels without giving any prospects would be hard to do given the $ he ties up. for a #3+ starter, that is a lot of money and would limit other positions.

we have the people to form a real staff if cole pans out to be a #1.

They are in a tough spot, but other than Hamels, all their high priced, old players will be off the books by the end of 2016. A good GM would just sell them off one by one, and keep the good player in his prime.

If only Papelbon didn't have a stupid easily attainable vesting option, he could be a realistic target for the Pirates.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are in a tough spot, but other than Hamels, all their high priced, old players will be off the books by the end of 2016. A good GM would just sell them off one by one, and keep the good player in his prime.

If only Papelbon didn't have a stupid easily attainable vesting option, he could be a realistic target for the Pirates.

I don't like the idea of adding a complete asshole to the bullpen either. Although I suppose they survived with Grilli.