• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Let the Off Season Begin

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMHO the way we think of pitching is changing even as talk about it. A SP is really a 5 inning guy now. That's followed by a crew of relievers and then a closer. Not sure teams will start laying out 25M for something called a SP. Don't need 7 or 8 innings from a SP anymore. Last year showed us that. The Doggies did an excellent job using that approach last year. Again, IMHO the band of relievers also also a very big part of this equation. They have to hold the line for 3 innings ... to reach the closer ... which I think will be Doval ..
Genrally agree but would add that teams still want at least one SP who goes 7 regularly. This rests the pen, and there will always be a market for that type of pitcher.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Genrally agree but would add that teams still want at least one SP who goes 7 regularly. This rests the pen, and there will always be a market for that type of pitcher.
That type of SP is becoming more and more the unicorn, though, unfortunately. Webb appears to potentially be one of them, and that is huge. But I am not cure there are any others on the market at all this off season. Maybe Scherzer, but dude is 37.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matz to the Cards on a 4/44 deal.

low $$, but it does thin the herd. Makes Gas more appealing.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently, both the Mariners and Angels are in on pursuing Gausman, at least as some level.

Mariners are a good fit, if he's going to get 5+ years.
Apparently, Mets now in on Gausman. Considering the way they've been active since the new GM was brought on, they have to serious contenders.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was not big on retaining him at the start, but we NEED the depth, and we have missed out on everyone else. He would make a fine #2, depending on the $$. However, I get the sense that the Giants will forever be below their own cap #, so $$ shouldn’t really make a difference.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was not big on retaining him at the start, but we NEED the depth, and we have missed out on everyone else. He would make a fine #2, depending on the $$. However, I get the sense that the Giants will forever be below their own cap #, so $$ shouldn’t really make a difference.
I like Gaus; I like him a lot. I don’t like him for 5/125. I don’t know that we missed out on many SPs at all.

Chacin, Haney, Kluber, Matz, Rodriguez, Thor, Verlander, Wacha.

of those, how many were ‘misses?’ By my read: Matz.

Gaus, Scherzer, Ray, Kershaw, Rodon, Cobb, Gray, Stroman, Kikuchi, Wood all still there. I’d imagine Wood and Cobb are close to being signed.

not sure why you think we are in hurry up mode.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Gaus; I like him a lot. I don’t like him for 5/125. I don’t know that we missed out on many SPs at all.

Gaus, Scherzer, Ray, Kershaw, Rodon, Cobb, Gray, Stroman, Kikuchi, Wood all still there. I’d imagine Wood and Cobb are close to being signed.

Not interested in Scherzer, Kershaw, or Cobb (we already talked about him). Stroganoff would be nice as would Gray (though there aren’t even rumors that he has even talked to us). I like the idea of Wood as a 4/swing. He is nails for 4 innings a game, but nothing past that.

It will be interesting to see what FZ does with the offense, though. Suzuki and Bryant are interesting stories for us.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd love to retain Gaus but as Tzill said ... not for 5/125M. I even think 2/60M is a little on the high side. Last year was his best year ever ... the big question I have is ... how much did Buster have to do with that? Will he be the same pitcher without Buster behind the plate? Not sure.

Living in NY I have seem Matz pitch a few times. He has some great stuff but he's also erratic as he'll. But I still think he would have been a good gamble at 4/44M. Stroman is a beast but will come at a high price.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd love to retain Gaus but as Tzill said ... not for 5/125M. I even think 2/60M is a little on the high side. Last year was his best year ever ... the big question I have is ... how much did Buster have to do with that? Will he be the same pitcher without Buster behind the plate? Not sure.

Living in NY I have seem Matz pitch a few times. He has some great stuff but he's also erratic as he'll. But I still think he would have been a good gamble at 4/44M. Stroman is a beast but will come at a high price.
Not only will Buster be gone, but Bart will be the replacement (I assume he will be on about a 60/40 split w/ Babe). That’s going from one of the best on-field pitching coaches to none at all (unless he gets Babe every game).

I am really nervous about our catching situation this year.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure seems longer than 14yrs... hardly remember the GIants b4 Panda
I remember noticing him when he was in SJ. He moved through the system faster than any of thought he would, but it was fun thinking we had both him AND Posey coming up and trying to determine who would stay at catcher. I remember being convinced that Sandoval would NOT be moved to 3rd since he had never played there before. And anyone who thought they would move him to 3rd was simply ignorant.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You can add Gausman to your first list. Rumors is that Scherzer wants to sign somewhere before Tuesday and the frontrunners are the Dodgers and Mets.
I think that cal's concern is that most of these guys want to sign before December 1st so not many of them will be left when the transaction freeze ends in February. The rumors are that both teams and many free agents want to not going into the CBA uncertainty not having locked up deals.
Of the 9 you list still available, I'd rank them the following: Scherzer, Ray, Stroman, Kershaw, Wood, Cobb, Gray, Rodon and Kikuchi. Each has significant concerns but are arguably the best of what's left on the market.