• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Let the Off Season Begin

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doggies have lost Seager and Scherzer so far. We have lost Posey and Gausman.

Neither team has added any big names yet.

Both teams, to date, are worse than they were at the end of the season.

Giants now down to an expected 103 wins. ;)

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some surprising nontenders from other teams worth considering:

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand the off season has just stopped. At least, to my understanding, minor league deals can still be signed, so we may get some trickles of baseball news here and there.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its three months before pitchers and catchers report. I don't expect anything to happen soon.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its three months before pitchers and catchers report. I don't expect anything to happen soon.
Two years after a disruption to the start of the baseball season we may well see another disruption to the start of the baseball season.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants signed 2 minor leaguers today…

Jon Duplantier…

While teams can sign players to minor league contracts, they cannot offer ST invites at this time. However, it is expected that Duplantier will receive an invite.

Gray Fenter…

He seems to be a true minor leaguer.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants signed 2 minor leaguers today…

Jon Duplantier…

While teams can sign players to minor league contracts, they cannot offer ST invites at this time. However, it is expected that Duplantier will receive an invite.

Gray Fenter…

He seems to be a true minor leaguer.
Duplantier hasn't looked good at the AAA or MLB levels. I expect him to be a reliever at Sacramento to start 2022.

I have no idea why Fenter was even signed. He hasn't shown anything above the low A level and would have been the worst starter at Richmond. He'll probably start the season in the rotation (maybe bullpen) at Sacramento.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duplantier hasn't looked good at the AAA or MLB levels. I expect him to be a reliever at Sacramento to start 2022.

I have no idea why Fenter was even signed. He hasn't shown anything above the low A level and would have been the worst starter at Richmond. He'll probably start the season in the rotation (maybe bullpen) at Sacramento.
You always need depth.

Duplantier has pedigree, and FZ loves him his rough gems he can polish up all nice like.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another one of those "they must see something they can work with" signings.

Hope it works out, but no risk if it doesn't.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t understand how they can give a ST invite. When they signed Duplantier, the news story said that teams could not extend invites while the lockout is in effect.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t understand how they can give a ST invite. When they signed Duplantier, the news story said that teams could not extend invites while the lockout is in effect.
Good question. Either MLBTR was guessing on that one or the press release made an oops.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you look at the remaining crop of FAs, I don’t argue against the strategy. But when you look at the stance as a whole, it is a bit worrisome.

But I think FZ is right and my ‘worrisome” gut is wrong. By not locking in on a Gausman or a Bryant, the Giants will be better positioned to make a Will Wilson-type trade instead (even though the result of that trade is still pending), or to take some IFA flyers (Suzuki, anyone?).

All that said, the Giants are NOT a small market organization. And coming off a 107-win season, where pitching ended up being a real issue, doesn’t it make sense to try to keep Gas or go after a guy like Stroman (assuming the Giants didn’t legit try to sign him)? The argument can be made that the Giants can afford an additional 60-70m in ‘22. That is a lot of scratch. The Giants currently sit on a 2022 salary # of approx 107m. That is good for 14th in the MLB (and approx 7m below average).

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you look at the remaining crop of FAs, I don’t argue against the strategy. But when you look at the stance as a whole, it is a bit worrisome.

But I think FZ is right and my ‘worrisome” gut is wrong. By not locking in on a Gausman or a Bryant, the Giants will be better positioned to make a Will Wilson-type trade instead (even though the result of that trade is still pending), or to take some IFA flyers (Suzuki, anyone?).

All that said, the Giants are NOT a small market organization. And coming off a 107-win season, where pitching ended up being a real issue, doesn’t it make sense to try to keep Gas or go after a guy like Stroman (assuming the Giants didn’t legit try to sign him)? The argument can be made that the Giants can afford an additional 60-70m in ‘22. That is a lot of scratch. The Giants currently sit on a 2022 salary # of approx 107m. That is good for 14th in the MLB (and approx 7m below average).
I would mostly agree. Don't spend money just to spend it. Only splurge if the value is there. Maybe they saw red flags on committing money to someone like Gausman or Stroman (or, more likely, the years associated with the cost). Or maybe this is just a stance that came as a result of all the top shelf pitchers flying off the shelf. Who knows. And we don't know how serious they were in looking at some of those guys.
As for Will Wilson, 2021 wasn't a good year for him. Granted, he spent half the minor league season in the former known as Eastern League, where bats go to die (after he had a good 50 game look at Eugene). But he still looked worse than 19 other batters on that Richmond team, and the lack of production of 3 of them earned them a release from the organization. I assume he returns to Richmond to start 2022 and hope he does much better this time around.