• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Let the Off Season Begin

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would mostly agree. Don't spend money just to spend it. Only splurge if the value is there. Maybe they saw red flags on committing money to someone like Gausman or Stroman (or, more likely, the years associated with the cost). Or maybe this is just a stance that came as a result of all the top shelf pitchers flying off the shelf. Who knows. And we don't know how serious they were in looking at some of those guys.
As for Will Wilson, 2021 wasn't a good year for him. Granted, he spent half the minor league season in the former known as Eastern League, where bats go to die (after he had a good 50 game look at Eugene). But he still looked worse than 19 other batters on that Richmond team, and the lack of production of 3 of them earned them a release from the organization. I assume he returns to Richmond to start 2022 and hope he does much better this time around.
I dont want to get too caught up on the results of the Wilson trade. I was more referring to the strategy that leads to those kinds of trades. I am very much in favor of executing those kinds of trades moving forward. The potential payoff of those can be HUGE.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont want to get too caught up on the results of the Wilson trade. I was more referring to the strategy that leads to those kinds of trades. I am very much in favor of executing those kinds of trades moving forward. The potential payoff of those can be HUGE.
Its been almost 2 years since that trade. Do you think another is coming soon? If so, who do you think the Giants would take on for prospects? I can think of a couple players on the Padres' team but I wonder if the Padres would be willing to give up prospects to a division rival that just outperformed them last season?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have less than zero idea who the Giants would target in such trades. Again, I don’t really want to get caught up in the specifics of the trade (or potential future trades).

I am talking about general navigation rather than specific directions.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMHO ... the next season will be tough for us fans. Last year was magical but I'm not sure how repeatable it really is. For me at was like drawing to an inside straight on the last card. Makes you feel damn good but don't count on it happening again and again and again. Most of us would have been thrilled with an 81 win season. 107 wins is way over anyones expectations. I still feel that our pitching was a direct result of having Posey behind the plate. This year, without Buster will be telling. The 107 wins really moved the bar WAY up for this season... I personally think that 90 wins may be a push.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMHO ... the next season will be tough for us fans. Last year was magical but I'm not sure how repeatable it really is. For me at was like drawing to an inside straight on the last card. Makes you feel damn good but don't count on it happening again and again and again. Most of us would have been thrilled with an 81 win season. 107 wins is way over anyones expectations. I still feel that our pitching was a direct result of having Posey behind the plate. This year, without Buster will be telling. The 107 wins really moved the bar WAY up for this season... I personally think that 90 wins may be a push.
It is hard for me to get excited about something I completely don’t understand.

It is akin to knowing that the local Lacrosse team won the championship. That’s great, but I don’t understand the game, so I can’t really do anything but yell “woot woot” and wave my hands in the air (like I just don’t care).

I love the Giants. But I just don’t understand the current philosophy. And I have no idea if last year’s success is repeatable in any way, shape or form.

:cheer2::cheer2:

:scratch::noidea:

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like we'll be seriously let down.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is hard for me to get excited about something I completely don’t understand.

It is akin to knowing that the local Lacrosse team won the championship. That’s great, but I don’t understand the game, so I can’t really do anything but yell “woot woot” and wave my hands in the air (like I just don’t care).

I love the Giants. But I just don’t understand the current philosophy. And I have no idea if last year’s success is repeatable in any way, shape or form.

:scratch::noidea:

That's the life of a fan ... just don't really see everything ...

But ... again IMHO ... I think if you have enough resources and money you can build a team that will compete very well over a 162 game schedule. The Doggies have done that for quite some time now. They either get the pieces through FA or they trade for them . They always seem to be there. But, in the end you still need some luck, some breaks and the talent has to perform for a stretch of 18 games. Quite a few teams make the playoff but usually the one left standing is the one that had a little more than just talent. I think this is true in most sports. The one that comes to mind is hockey. I can't even remember a NHL team that won the Presidents cup and then the Stanley cup jn the same year.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't feel like creating a new thread, so I'm going to put this here:

The Giants are going back to the Bahamas to get yet another international shortstop prospect. Is it just me or are we getting really deep with shortstops in the system? We all know Marco Luciano but Tyler Fitzgerald (who also plays 2nd base) had a good year and Aeverson Arteaga looks solid as well.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't feel like creating a new thread, so I'm going to put this here:

The Giants are going back to the Bahamas to get yet another international shortstop prospect. Is it just me or are we getting really deep with shortstops in the system? We all know Marco Luciano but Tyler Fitzgerald (who also plays 2nd base) had a good year and Aeverson Arteaga looks solid as well.
Shortstops tend to be the best players. Most top players play SS at the very low levels (LL, HS, etc).

And SS is a very hard spot to stay at at the MLB level. I kinda get the sense Luciano is more of a 3B than a SS long term, so having more SS behind him is important.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reckley is ranked the #9 overall international prospect in this year’s class. I would guess that would translate to about #5 on the org list…

no particular order, but guys who would probably rank higher than him right now…

Bart
Luciano
Ramos
Harrison
Matos

Probably a few others (Cory, Hjelle, Bednar, Bailey…)

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reckley is ranked the #9 overall international prospect in this year’s class. I would guess that would translate to about #5 on the org list…

no particular order, but guys who would probably rank higher than him right now…

Bart
Luciano
Ramos
Harrison
Matos

I've got a strong gut feeling that they end up dealing Harrison for a SP...somebody like Manea.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bart
Luciano
Ramos
Harrison
Matos

I get the feeling that Corry and Hjelle has dropped a bit on the top prospect list. We wasn't protected prior to the Rule 5 deadline and had an awful 2021 season. Bailey also had a rough showing last season. I wouldn't be surprised if Bednar ranks above Reckley, and maybe Hjelle, but that may be about it (besides the guys you've named).

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've got a strong gut feeling that they end up dealing Harrison for a SP...somebody like Manea.
If Manaea gives us 5 good years of pitching, that would be worth it but I'd hate to see every good pitching prospect get flipped and not have any home grown guys in the rotation. Of course, I also recognize that few pitching prospects make it. Guess I'll have to trust FZ and Co's professional knowledge if that happens.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the feeling that Corry and Hjelle has dropped a bit on the top prospect list. We wasn't protected prior to the Rule 5 deadline and had an awful 2021 season. Bailey also had a rough showing last season. I wouldn't be surprised if Bednar ranks above Reckley, and maybe Hjelle, but that may be about it (besides the guys you've named).
No doubt. But I wasn’t trying to be absolute as much as just throwing in some guys off the top of my head who would be in the discussion. After all, I never heard of Reckley before yesterday and still have not seen any video or read any reports. I am going 100% off the fact that he was ranked the #9 overall international amateur for this class.

Another name who should be mentioned, though, is Doval. He is still a rookie, so technically still a prospect.

Reactions: LHG

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt. But I wasn’t trying to be absolute as much as just throwing in some guys off the top of my head who would be in the discussion. After all, I never heard of Reckley before yesterday and still have not seen any video or read any reports. I am going 100% off the fact that he was ranked the #9 overall international amateur for this class.

Another name who should be mentioned, though, is Doval. He is still a rookie, so technically still a prospect.
Good point on Doval. He definitely raised his stock too.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point on Doval. He definitely raised his stock too.
I personally like to factor proximity into my prospect listing, so the fact that he has essentially already graduated certainly raises his stock in my mind. But relievers have a hard time ranking in these lists. They are just too volatile.