• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Let the Off Season Begin

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants traded Jay Jackson to the Braves for cash considerations and a player to be named later.

Jay Jackson #foreverGiant
Awesome. Get something (even if only org depth) for an asset we didn’t want.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Posey gets his second Comeback Player of the Year award.

Has anyone else ever gotten that one twice?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disco signed
Cobb imminent
Wood imminent -- rumors are 2/22

three down, one to go. Gaus?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What’s the fascination with Cobb? I don’t see it.
Really nice peripherals. At age 33, in his 10th MLB season, he notched a career-best K% and average fastball velocity. He's a ground ball pitcher and is elite in an advanced stat called "barrels" -- basically to ability to keep hitters from good launch angle and exit velocity.

They must think they can work on that and keep him healthy. At $8M, a fairly modest risk.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disco signed
Cobb imminent
Wood imminent -- rumors are 2/22

three down, one to go. Gaus?
I read Wood possibly 2 years, 20 million. And rumors we are in the running for Matz.
FO apparently not too fond of any of the starting pitchers moving into the upper minors next year.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read Wood possibly 2 years, 20 million. And rumors we are in the running for Matz.
FO apparently not too fond of any of the starting pitchers moving into the upper minors next year.
You can’t hand a slot to a non-Uber prospect arm. Hjelle may have a slot by the end of the season, but you have him as a backup plan to start. And we all know what Beede is at this point.

So it looks like…

Webb
Matz (if…)
Disco
Wood
Cobb

That still looks hella crappy. Add Gas to that (moving Cobb or Wood to swing) and it starts looking OK, but still not elite.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can’t hand a slot to a non-Uber prospect arm. Hjelle may have a slot by the end of the season, but you have him as a backup plan to start. And we all know what Beede is at this point.

So it looks like…

Webb
Matz (if…)
Disco
Wood
Cobb

That still looks hella crappy. Add Gas to that (moving Cobb or Wood to swing) and it starts looking OK, but still not elite.
It looks like a bunch of 3rd/4th starters (unless they all post their best seasons in 2022). My comment about the farm arms is more to do with signing these guys to multi year deals. Handing a slot to non uber prospects is one thing. Not even making room for them to compete for spots is another. Of course, if half these guys are injured on a regular basis . . .

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like a bunch of 3rd/4th starters (unless they all post their best seasons in 2022). My comment about the farm arms is more to do with signing these guys to multi year deals. Handing a slot to non uber prospects is one thing. Not even making room for them to compete for spots is another. Of course, if half these guys are injured on a regular basis . . .
They didn’t have a spot for Webb, and he forced his way in. And there was still room for more if anyone else cared to take a spot.

In today’s game, you need at least 7 starters. Arm fatigue / dead arm is a recognized and allowed reason for IL stints by the league. Mid-season breaks are openings that need to be filled.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that's necessarily so, but I also read they're in on Matz. Wood and Cobb probably tomorrow. Matz would be a nice value add at 2/24. Then, they turn to Chris Turner and Suzuki. And a couple of Disco/Sanchez/Wood/Kazmir arms in January. Hjelle will make his debut next year as well.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which every staff experiences almost every year. How many games did JC miss? Wood? Disco? Gaus? You've got to have 8 or so legit SP to get through a season.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, if you think Disco is a #3/#4 guy...well, you're not remembering how good he was this year. He's a legit #2

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They didn’t have a spot for Webb, and he forced his way in. And there was still room for more if anyone else cared to take a spot.

In today’s game, you need at least 7 starters. Arm fatigue / dead arm is a recognized and allowed reason for IL stints by the league. Mid-season breaks are openings that need to be filled.

Which every staff experiences almost every year. How many games did JC miss? Wood? Disco? Gaus? You've got to have 8 or so legit SP to get through a season.
I am slow on switching to how starting rotations work these days. Thanks for reminding me (again).

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMHO the way we think of pitching is changing even as talk about it. A SP is really a 5 inning guy now. That's followed by a crew of relievers and then a closer. Not sure teams will start laying out 25M for something called a SP. Don't need 7 or 8 innings from a SP anymore. Last year showed us that. The Doggies did an excellent job using that approach last year. Again, IMHO the band of relievers also also a very big part of this equation. They have to hold the line for 3 innings ... to reach the closer ... which I think will be Doval ..