• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Let The Games Begin.....

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some fodder for conversation:

What do the Mariners do with Daniel Vogelbach? I don't know why but I really want the guy to succeed, but I think it might be time to move on. You have to be an exceptional hitter to justify being a DH who can't really play a position and can't run. In his 220 MLB games he's hitting .199/.328/.403 with 36 HRs. He's currently hitting .109 this year. He's 27 years old and at this point I don't really see any progression and it's hard to justify keeping him on the roster.

hes just a warmbody right now, we are seeing his final weeks as a Mariner

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really fun game so far tonight. The Seagers are going back and forth

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As well as, have we seen enough of JP to make Marte available?

No way should a team like Mariners should deal a 19 year old like Marte. He has the potential to be the next big thing and if he doesn't you have lost nothing. You will never get equal value for him IMO. You may get quicker to the majors talent for him or different position talent for him, but we don't need either of those things. He may just become a future 3B with his size.

With all that said, look for news M's unload him for a Vogelbach Twin.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess they could move Walker, no one else really makes a ton of sense.

My thought as well, but at some point you need to keep some of these arms because while we have high draft picks at the position all are so unproven. None even have AAA success.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way should a team like Mariners should deal a 19 year old like Marte. He has the potential to be the next big thing and if he doesn't you have lost nothing. You will never get equal value for him IMO. You may get quicker to the majors talent for him or different position talent for him, but we don't need either of those things. He may just become a future 3B with his size.

With all that said, look for news M's unload him for a Vogelbach Twin.

I’m not advocating for dealing Marte, but with the premise Jerry was saying I am just wondering if young talent for young talent puts him or JP on the block. Just looking at the roster, the way it would seem is it is going to be guys doing BP and pitching drills in Tacoma for other younger talent. Cause with all due respect to the current Mariners, outside of Lewis, I can’t see any young talent for young talent that improves the organization there. I like what Moore is doing but I can’t imagine a GM is going to give up anything of value for him with his limited sample size of success.

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good to see White coming alive

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m not advocating for dealing Marte, but with the premise Jerry was saying I am just wondering if young talent for young talent puts him or JP on the block

I get your question and from what Jerry said you are spot on with it. It would be stupid to do, but we are talking DIPoto after all.

I don't know what Jerry could be eyeing because we don't have an overload of young talent to deal. If a young guy is doing well then why trade him and if he isn't who would want him? You brought up Fraley and that could be a guy that somebody things they can turnaround but for what value? I doubt there is any value to the so called 'utility' players. Should be interesting as always at the deadline.

Msfann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
mariners_suck_dog_tshirt.jpg

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get your question and from what Jerry said you are spot on with it. It would be stupid to do, but we are talking DIPoto after all.

I don't know what Jerry could be eyeing because we don't have an overload of young talent to deal. If a young guy is doing well then why trade him and if he isn't who would want him? You brought up Fraley and that could be a guy that somebody things they can turnaround but for what value? I doubt there is any value to the so called 'utility' players. Should be interesting as always at the deadline.

The way I took it, it is going to me essentially lateral moves. Like figuratively Fraley for another organizations pitching prospect near or on the same prospect wise. With Lewis seeming likely to have LF locked down for a few years Fraley is expendable. I personally like Bishop’s for his onfield stuff and I think he ultimate ceiling is as a solid number 4 OF, or even a RF place holder in the 2021 season for JRod.

What I would personally like is if somehow they can collect more starting pitching. I know it’s a new regime but that have a decent job of turning starters in bullpen arms and they can hit one 3 or so arms for the bullpen in house it opens up FA to solidify the bullpen and have extra money to throw at a number 1 or 2 starter.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man watching our bullpen come in the game and give up the lead is bullshit there is nothing that gets me more upset when that happens.

I do think that this organization is pretty deep with prospects I mean our OF is pretty set with Lewis at LF, Kelenic at CF and Rodriguez at RF. I wouldn't bet too much on trading anything Walker would have to have an all star 1st half to get anything in return for him I highly doubt any organization will give us a pitching prospect for anything that we are trading away. I wish Mitch Haniger wasn't injured because he would play DH and if he has a great 1st half would be a trading asset.

At this point we need to suck it up and deal with the growing pains both Justin Dunn, Justus Sheffield, Evan White, and Shed Long are the 1st of our young prospects up this year they need to gain experience and figure things out. Next year it will be Logan Gilbert, Cal Raleigh and Kelenic. I would say try not to zero in on wins and losses but see Kyle Lewis develop into an All Star

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was a fun game to watch last night. Not just the whole Seager reunion but watching Lewis and White get off their slumps at the plate. I really think 1-5 in the lineup is set for the rest of the season. I think White needs to be moved up to 6th just so he can keep working on his approach at the plate.

Hopefully Dunn's ribs are fine. He doesn't need any set backs right now and that was a hell of a shot he took off them.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thought as well, but at some point you need to keep some of these arms because while we have high draft picks at the position all are so unproven. None even have AAA success.
Id prefer to hang onto him but was just thinking he would be the guy that fits that bill. rotation is definitely seeming to be what needs to be addressed going forward. Hopefully they get a top 2 pick this year and can draft one.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man watching our bullpen come in the game and give up the lead is bullshit there is nothing that gets me more upset when that happens.
IMO if this team is losing games because of the bullpen thats fine. Dunn wasnt good yesterday but if its the starters struggling and not the bullpen then I have more concerns. Mainly looking for positive things from the offense and starters because those are the pieces that will be here for a few years. The bullpen is the easiest part of the roster to put together when you are trying to contend.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO if this team is losing games because of the bullpen thats fine. Dunn wasnt good yesterday but if its the starters struggling and not the bullpen then I have more concerns. Mainly looking for positive things from the offense and starters because those are the pieces that will be here for a few years. The bullpen is the easiest part of the roster to put together when you are trying to contend.

Regarding Dunn, I went back and read some articles from when he was in the Mets system and they talked about his live fastball with movement that sat between 92-96. All the games I watch him he sits at 91-92. What happened to the live fastball? And his changeup was sitting at 87. You can't pitch at 91 then changeup at 87. That becomes batting practice. I am miffed at a 22, 23 year old losing 4 mph already.

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ooops...another one bites the dust. :doh: Boy, Kyle Seager had a piss poor look on his face as he was leaving the dugout post game. Corey must have gotten to him cuz there wasn't the fun and games like last night. :pound:

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am about to be Evan whites toughest critic he went from having a great game to lame duck games. At this rate he is a glorified Daniel Volgebach who can field the ball and run the bases better.

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am about to be Evan whites toughest critic he went from having a great game to lame duck games. At this rate he is a glorified Daniel Volgebach who can field the ball and run the bases better.
Don't give up on Evan. I too have wondered what had changed but I think he'll come back around. He's young but a hell of an athlete and I'm hoping he stays in the mix and is our long term 1st base guy.:yes:

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's about time Jerry started paying attention to my posts :pound: