• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Let The Games Begin.....

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My rebuttal: They spent $24M per year on one player but were still back of the pack.
2014 Ranked 18th $143M behind Payroll Leader
2015 Ranked 12th $143m behind Payroll Leader
2016 Ranked 13th $118M behind Payroll Leader
2017 Ranked 13th $88M behind Payroll Leader

So my point is there is no difference in spending the 18th most amount on 24 players plus $24M on the 25th player or paying everyone equally across the board. It is just a ticket grab to pay big for one marque name but not increasing total payroll. So it was a huge fail for me and very unimpressive.

They had the money this year to start spending and didn't when adding talent could actually help their team finish and help the youth we are counting on become better players and more prepared players by teaching them what it takes to be a pro. More of those guys you have who can actually produce on the field as well helps the guys you are clouting on in the future. So even if their decision to spend next year changes, now you have to convince talented people why they should sign with a team who has shown the willingness to be lousy for 20 years and most of their franchise history. Tell sell to make for one player but even tougher to sell 4 or 5 stars that they will actually need to contend.

Well I am going to be a shitty fan and hope they take dead last and land that Leiter kid. Mediocrity generally leads to more mediocrity. Plus any assumption of a playoff contending teams just gives them more of an excuse to not trade guys that aren't the future and to not call up the youngster and let them play. That is not what we need out of this year. I truly don't believe that finishing at .500 or finishing at .300 will have any impact on how we may finish in 2022. I just think it changes the approach and we have been burned by that before.
With your rebuttals, I will plea that organizations is still run by non baseball people. And Jerry hasn’t done squat to change that. I will defend the Mariners on thinking they were one player away when they got Cano. But the problem was that they thought they were a player away.

Agree with they needed to spend this offseason and follow the Cubs and Padres model of where they spent pre ready. Snell was out there on a sweetheart deal, Bauer was out there. It was pricey but they got a boat load controllable contracts for the next 4 years. My thing though, which sucks because I am a Mariners fan, is I would rather load up the budget from homegrown or guys you traded for and maybe get 1 or 2 needs on the FA market.

Tanking it this year actually isn’t bad if Paxton pitches well and they toss out the bench for his games. They have 5 trade chips going in. Marco (Jerry won’t trade him) Haniger (I think) Jerry is 90/10 on wanting to keep him and will end up with him because he will want the moon because he is his guy. Got Paxton, Murphy and Seager. Though I think Moore might have more of a return since the August deadline is gone and highly doubtful they pay all of Seagers contract.

But we all got to remember, this is the last year of baseball as we know it. An overlooked thing from Mather’s comments were the MLB was implemented these rules by 2022. As well the CBA is going to look a lot different in terms of younger players and then the age old fight of any form of salary cap. Luxury cap is nice and all, but that is for owners

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With your rebuttals, I will plea that organizations is still run by non baseball people. And Jerry hasn’t done squat to change that. I will defend the Mariners on thinking they were one player away when they got Cano. But the problem was that they thought they were a player away.
Well the result was they were one player away (Cruz obviously in 2014). But were they actually one player away? No, the main reason 2014 went as well as it did was a completely unsustainable pitching performance across the staff, specifically the bullpen. In 2015, those things came crashing down to earth and the holes in the lineup outside of Cano, Cruz and Seagar were still there.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My rebuttal: They spent $24M per year on one player but were still back of the pack.
2014 Ranked 18th $143M behind Payroll Leader
2015 Ranked 12th $143m behind Payroll Leader
2016 Ranked 13th $118M behind Payroll Leader
2017 Ranked 13th $88M behind Payroll Leader

So my point is there is no difference in spending the 18th most amount on 24 players plus $24M on the 25th player or paying everyone equally across the board. It is just a ticket grab to pay big for one marque name but not increasing total payroll. So it was a huge fail for me and very unimpressive.

They had the money this year to start spending and didn't when adding talent could actually help their team finish and help the youth we are counting on become better players and more prepared players by teaching them what it takes to be a pro. More of those guys you have who can actually produce on the field as well helps the guys you are clouting on in the future. So even if their decision to spend next year changes, now you have to convince talented people why they should sign with a team who has shown the willingness to be lousy for 20 years and most of their franchise history. Tell sell to make for one player but even tougher to sell 4 or 5 stars that they will actually need to contend.

Well I am going to be a shitty fan and hope they take dead last and land that Leiter kid. Mediocrity generally leads to more mediocrity. Plus any assumption of a playoff contending teams just gives them more of an excuse to not trade guys that aren't the future and to not call up the youngster and let them play. That is not what we need out of this year. I truly don't believe that finishing at .500 or finishing at .300 will have any impact on how we may finish in 2022. I just think it changes the approach and we have been burned by that before
Sorry for the shitty response format, for some reason I'm too much of a dumbass to respond properly. I blame it on my hangover.

Can't really argue with your initial rebuttal about spending. I will say that I suppose my optimism derives from the fact that as of right now it looks like the Mariners only have $48m committed to the 2022 payroll. If we use the amount the team spent in 2018 ($161m) as the maximum the team will commit to payroll, the organization should be going into this upcoming offseason with ~$120m to spend. Obviously they're not going to spend that much, but there's no reason to think the organization cannot justify going after blue chip free agents.

You're correct that technically the team did have the money to spend, but it sounds like Dipoto was constrained this offseason with spending. I understand your argument about why it would make sense to get in some vets, and I know I'm beating a dead horse going back to the "it's a business" shit, but I have to assume the front office didn't want to authorize Dipoto to spend due to the fact that this team hasn't shown it's really worth investing in. My line of thinking is that the 2021 season could show that this current core is worth investing in when the 2021 offseason rolls around. I'm probably wrong, but at least it gives me hope that this team will be worth watching before I start wearing adult diapers.

I don't think that makes you a shitty fan. Your hope that the 2021 team is awful and lands Leiter (idk who that is but I trust your judgment he must be a stud), is rooted in the fact that you want the team to eventually be successful. I think I said this last year and we'd probably be on the same page on this, but I wouldn't mind the team finishing with an awful record as long as it is accompanied by strong performances by key players going forward. I know this sort of contradicts my comments about the team playing well enough to justify spending in free agency come winter 2021, but who the hell knows what this team needs to do.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree with they needed to spend this offseason and follow the Cubs and Padres model of where they spent pre ready. Snell was out there on a sweetheart deal, Bauer was out there. It was pricey but they got a boat load controllable contracts for the next 4 years. My thing though, which sucks because I am a Mariners fan, is I would rather load up the budget from homegrown or guys you traded for and maybe get 1 or 2 needs on the FA market.

Tanking it this year actually isn’t bad if Paxton pitches well and they toss out the bench for his games. They have 5 trade chips going in. Marco (Jerry won’t trade him) Haniger (I think) Jerry is 90/10 on wanting to keep him and will end up with him because he will want the moon because he is his guy. Got Paxton, Murphy and Seager. Though I think Moore might have more of a return since the August deadline is gone and highly doubtful they pay all of Seagers contract.

But we all got to remember, this is the last year of baseball as we know it. An overlooked thing from Mather’s comments were the MLB was implemented these rules by 2022. As well the CBA is going to look a lot different in terms of younger players and then the age old fight of any form of salary cap. Luxury cap is nice and all, but that is for owners
"I will plea that the organization is still run by non baseball people."

I think that's the biggest problem with this franchise. I really do see the organization's decisions based from a financial perspective. That's the biggest reason they weren't able to spend this offseason. Even if we threw the kitchen sink at free agents this previous offseason, the team probably wouldn't make the playoffs or increase the bottom line in a season where revenue would be down.

Honestly I don't know what I want to see from this season. Part of me wants us to tank and get another high draft pick, the other part of me wants this team to show promise to justify spending in the offseason. But that is premised on the assumption that if the team shows promise, the owners will allow Dipoto to go on a spending spree, which is probably a faulty assumption. I could easily see the front office thinking "well they were able to almost make the playoffs with all these cheap young players, they'll just get better so we don't need to spend more money!"

srf1957

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it time to bring up Kelinic . Trammel and Moore are worthless

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it time to bring up Kelinic . Trammel and Moore are worthless
I would have to check the clock first says Mariners management.