• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Let The Games Begin.....

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Challenge accepted. I'm sure I can hide a bag of peanuts somewhere (not there!) and get em in.

Seriously though, I'm really looking forward to going and seeing a couple games on a sunny afternoon or 2.

Might be a little tougher to fudge my way to much better seats than I paid for this year though. Pro tip, If you print out your own tickets, you can check and see what low sections have lots of open seats, then Photoshop those onto your 300 level outfield ticket, and sit in the 100s. Or that's what people tell me anyway.
All you had to do was wear cargo shorts back in the and sneak whatever you wanted in. As long as you showed your phone and wallet no one cared. The seat thing was a joke they made online. The green jackets finally have an actual reason to be assholes about seats not just being assholes because they feel like they had some kind of power.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The seat thing I mentioned? Definitely not a joke. Done it more than a few times.
Well I know. I am just saying at least they finally have a legit reason to be dicks about it. Pre Covid they just seem like the type of people who get off on establishing their authority.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Challenge accepted. I'm sure I can hide a bag of peanuts somewhere (not there!) and get em in.

Seriously though, I'm really looking forward to going and seeing a couple games on a sunny afternoon or 2.

Might be a little tougher to fudge my way to much better seats than I paid for this year though. Pro tip, If you print out your own tickets, you can check and see what low sections have lots of open seats, then Photoshop those onto your 300 level outfield ticket, and sit in the 100s. Or that's what people tell me anyway.
Wouldn't be surprised if the Mariners haven't already moved to start rejecting paper tickets unless it was printed at will call or the box office itself. Scanning a QR code helps prevent fraud.

Kind of brings up a funny memory of mine. When I was a kid and my mother and I would go to Mariners games, she couldn't afford anything other than the cheap seats so what we would do is settle into those seats then scope out which areas are empty on the 100 level and sneak in there. The staff seldom did anything because who is going to kick out a middle age woman and her son at a ball game? If you have kids, probably not a bad strategy to utilize.

Last 6 or so years ago I've gotten club level tickets from a buddy who works for the Mariners for like $10 or even free sometimes. Don't think he works for them anymore so unfortunately I'm going to have to start paying full price to get good tickets lol.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I know. I am just saying at least they finally have a legit reason to be dicks about it. Pre Covid they just seem like the type of people who get off on establishing their authority.
Surprised you feel that way. I don't think I've ever had an unpleasant experience with them and have fond memories of them giving me baseball cards when I was a kid lol.

Only time I ever had a problem is when I'd get caught smoking on the ramps going up to the upper levels, but in that case they were just doing their jobs. Never been kicked out.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I know we need pitching but I was looking at this list and see some great opportunities for the Mariners in the middle infield. Dylan Moore had a great season last year but it was a small sample size and I'm not yet sold on him. Also I'm pessimistic about J.P. Crawford. I hope I'm wrong but at this point he looks to me like a guy who offers above average defense at SS with a bat that is average at best.

As much as I love good defense, I have to be realistic that the league has transitioned more to the long ball, which means a decrease in ground balls, which diminishes the value of a strong defensive SS. That being said, unless Crawford shows some drastic improvement at the plate I feel as if SS is a position the Mariners should consider upgrading and there are some really great free agent options next offseason with the Mariners having a lot of money to spend.

With Lindor, Seager, Story, Correa, etc. all being free agents I'm wondering how you guys would feel pursuing one of them next offseason. They're all young and would present a substantial upgrade over Crawford - albeit at a substantial cost.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I know we need pitching but I was looking at this list and see some great opportunities for the Mariners in the middle infield. Dylan Moore had a great season last year but it was a small sample size and I'm not yet sold on him. Also I'm pessimistic about J.P. Crawford. I hope I'm wrong but at this point he looks to me like a guy who offers above average defense at SS with a bat that is average at best.

As much as I love good defense, I have to be realistic that the league has transitioned more to the long ball, which means a decrease in ground balls, which diminishes the value of a strong defensive SS. That being said, unless Crawford shows some drastic improvement at the plate I feel as if SS is a position the Mariners should consider upgrading and there are some really great free agent options next offseason with the Mariners having a lot of money to spend.

With Lindor, Seager, Story, Correa, etc. all being free agents I'm wondering how you guys would feel pursuing one of them next offseason. They're all young and would present a substantial upgrade over Crawford - albeit at a substantial cost.
Expect the most, accept the worst. A Mariners tradition.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprised you feel that way. I don't think I've ever had an unpleasant experience with them and have fond memories of them giving me baseball cards when I was a kid lol.

Only time I ever had a problem is when I'd get caught smoking on the ramps going up to the upper levels, but in that case they were just doing their jobs. Never been kicked out.
I’ve only had 2 experiences with them and they weren’t pleasant. Mostly my dislike is from how I hear they have treated other people. I get it if the seats are full or 3/4’s full but when there are huge pockets it is a bad look IMO and security isn’t letting people move down. It’s not different than how dumb King’s Court looked when that section was jammed packed but there were hundreds of open seat with better views. Just personally I’d rather have a good view than a tee shirt.

It should be how pro wrestling makes sure all of the better seats are full regardless if you bought a $10 ticket or $400 ticket.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am actually pretty pro Crawford at this point. He knows how to take a walk and doesnt strike out a ton and I do think he still has power that will come later down the line. Not to mention he's a solid glove, I dont think around 3 WAR is out of the question. We will see how it pans out. Whether you like him or not it shouldnt preclude being interested in one of those guys. Especially since everything on the infield is far from settled.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am actually pretty pro Crawford at this point. He knows how to take a walk and doesnt strike out a ton and I do think he still has power that will come later down the line. Not to mention he's a solid glove, I dont think around 3 WAR is out of the question. We will see how it pans out. Whether you like him or not it shouldnt preclude being interested in one of those guys. Especially since everything on the infield is far from settled.
Crawford to me isn't a replacement priority. I don't think he will be an elite all-around SS, but I also don't think he will keep you from contending either. Much rather upgrade at DH (depending on what you do with Haniger), OF, and 2B on the offensive end. 3B depending if you bring back Seager or not. adding a true ACE is still the #1 priority.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crawford to me isn't a replacement priority. I don't think he will be an elite all-around SS, but I also don't think he will keep you from contending either. Much rather upgrade at DH (depending on what you do with Haniger), OF, and 2B on the offensive end. 3B depending if you bring back Seager or not. adding a true ACE is still the #1 priority.
Right, my main point we shouldnt shy away from Seagar, Correa, Baez, etc. because of Crawford. I think with holes at 2nd and likely 3rd you can likely have whoever you sign move there and still keep Crawford at SS.
Although I cant wrap my head around Kyle leaving and Corey coming in, that would be all kinds of weird.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(depending on what you do with Haniger
Would be an interesting situation if he produced well the in the first half of the year and assuming you probably arent near a playoff spot. I am probably leaning to trade him at that point.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would be an interesting situation if he produced well the in the first half of the year and assuming you probably arent near a playoff spot. I am probably leaning to trade him at that point.
Ya that will be really interesting for sure. On one hand, if he does well he is the kind of guy you want on your team. On the other hand, he is just so unlucky when it comes to injuries. M's probably can't afford to risk keeping him.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Expect the most, accept the worst. A Mariners tradition.
Perhaps I'm being overly optimistic, but we did throw $240m at a 30 year old second baseman.

I know I've gone on and on about why the Mariners haven't spent money, but given the amount of money we'll have free next offseason I think they might open up their wallets if the team shows promise.

For once I'll be optimistic again, I think this team could actually show promise. Not playoff promise but I actually think it could be a competitive team. With so much young talent coming up, we could be in a position where ownership could be convinced that supplementing the current roster with another star could be worth the price tag. I believe that the Mariners could win 85 games this year with a low cost team full of young players, they could be in a position where spending big in the 2021 offseason could actually push the team to being legit playoff contenders in 2022.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair points.

I will just say my biggest concern is that his value mostly comes from his defense. With the way the game is changing, a good defensive SS isn't all that valuable as it used to be. I'm just not all that convinced he'll ever be more than an average bat at best. His 2020 season was his best, but you could argue that from an offensive perspective the Mariners could use an upgrade there.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ve only had 2 experiences with them and they weren’t pleasant. Mostly my dislike is from how I hear they have treated other people. I get it if the seats are full or 3/4’s full but when there are huge pockets it is a bad look IMO and security isn’t letting people move down. It’s not different than how dumb King’s Court looked when that section was jammed packed but there were hundreds of open seat with better views. Just personally I’d rather have a good view than a tee shirt.

It should be how pro wrestling makes sure all of the better seats are full regardless if you bought a $10 ticket or $400 ticket.
I 100% agree with you in principle but when you look at it from a business perspective, if ticket holders know that they can buy a cheaper ticket then just move seats later, it encourages people to buy cheaper tickets. The reason they had the Kings Court where it was is because nobody wants to sit there unless there is some novelty.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I 100% agree with you in principle but when you look at it from a business perspective, if ticket holders know that they can buy a cheaper ticket then just move seats later, it encourages people to buy cheaper tickets. The reason they had the Kings Court where it was is because nobody wants to sit there unless there is some novelty.
I get the business perspective of it if they were ever close to selling out or if it were a group of 10 that wanted to move down seats. From a business perspective isn’t it better though to completely sell out the cheap seats if they know they can upgrade instead of not selling out either section? This is only my perception because like I said I haven’t had the experiences I have heard.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps I'm being overly optimistic, but we did throw $240m at a 30 year old second baseman.
My rebuttal: They spent $24M per year on one player but were still back of the pack.
2014 Ranked 18th $143M behind Payroll Leader
2015 Ranked 12th $143m behind Payroll Leader
2016 Ranked 13th $118M behind Payroll Leader
2017 Ranked 13th $88M behind Payroll Leader

So my point is there is no difference in spending the 18th most amount on 24 players plus $24M on the 25th player or paying everyone equally across the board. It is just a ticket grab to pay big for one marque name but not increasing total payroll. So it was a huge fail for me and very unimpressive.

I know I've gone on and on about why the Mariners haven't spent money, but given the amount of money we'll have free next offseason I think they might open up their wallets if the team shows promise.

They had the money this year to start spending and didn't when adding talent could actually help their team finish and help the youth we are counting on become better players and more prepared players by teaching them what it takes to be a pro. More of those guys you have who can actually produce on the field as well helps the guys you are clouting on in the future. So even if their decision to spend next year changes, now you have to convince talented people why they should sign with a team who has shown the willingness to be lousy for 20 years and most of their franchise history. Tell sell to make for one player but even tougher to sell 4 or 5 stars that they will actually need to contend.

For once I'll be optimistic again, I think this team could actually show promise. Not playoff promise but I actually think it could be a competitive team. With so much young talent coming up, we could be in a position where ownership could be convinced that supplementing the current roster with another star could be worth the price tag. I believe that the Mariners could win 85 games this year with a low cost team full of young players, they could be in a position where spending big in the 2021 offseason could actually push the team to being legit playoff contenders in 2022.

Well I am going to be a shitty fan and hope they take dead last and land that Leiter kid. Mediocrity generally leads to more mediocrity. Plus any assumption of a playoff contending teams just gives them more of an excuse to not trade guys that aren't the future and to not call up the youngster and let them play. That is not what we need out of this year. I truly don't believe that finishing at .500 or finishing at .300 will have any impact on how we may finish in 2022. I just think it changes the approach and we have been burned by that before.