• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Let The Games Begin.....

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

WTF?? OK, don't want to sound like an idiot, but humidors were invented to control temp/humidity for cigars and/or tobacco products. So, will they be used for baseballs or bats or??? Or the cigars in the elite suites for big wig owners? :pound:

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guessing that Dipoto would be forced to let Servais go if he wanted to keep his job. Stanton (ownership) is a long standing Mariner supporter. What I don't understand is why ownership had not previously directed Dipoto to change the manager position and bring in a real manager. I would guess most M's fans see the issues with Servais as the manager and I would surely think ownership AND Dipoto would also see Servais's lack of managing/leadership skills. Management giving Dipoto a contract extension and then in turn Servais has me wondering what is going on behind closed doors. Maybe Dipoto is a super con man and master manipulator by promoting a complete overhaul is the answer. It buys him and his pal Servais a couple extra years. Throw in the Covid 19 issues and that really makes a mess of things. Nothing is ever clear and transparent with the Mariner's organization and their track record over the past 20 some years supports that. I thought when Stanton took the reins that things might change.....was I ever wrong!! :doh:

There are two things that concern me about the manager situation.

(1) If Servais was Dipoto's pick and he has stuck by him this long, we'd likely get a clone of Servais as his replacement.
(2) The expectation going into this season was that we wouldn't be competitive. Given that expectation, Servais may have a longer leash. Upper management/Dipoto/whoever might argue it's better to keep Servais in place to gel with the new players than bringing in a replacement.

Personally I think Servais was a bad hire in the first place. I'm just worried we're going to be stuck with him until the entire organization gets gutted.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This just confirms to me that MLB and the owners want more home runs.

They acted like they didn't know why there was an insane amount of home runs in 2019, but this just tells me that this is what they want.

I get that they want baseball to be more exciting - it is a slow game - but I feel like that's part of the beauty of it.

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are two things that concern me about the manager situation.

(1) If Servais was Dipoto's pick and he has stuck by him this long, we'd likely get a clone of Servais as his replacement.
(2) The expectation going into this season was that we wouldn't be competitive. Given that expectation, Servais may have a longer leash. Upper management/Dipoto/whoever might argue it's better to keep Servais in place to gel with the new players than bringing in a replacement.

Personally I think Servais was a bad hire in the first place. I'm just worried we're going to be stuck with him until the entire organization gets gutted.

Yep, I agree we are stuck with Servais. Dipoto's relationship with the Angel's previous manager (already forgot his name) was a major power struggle that Dipoto lost. He was able to easily control Servais knowing that Servais had no management experience and little if any self confidence. I think Jerry is pretty much a control freak and micro manages Servais. So yes, as long as Jerry is the GM we can expect Servais to continue being the skipper. The only way the dynamic duo is split up is if ownership tells Dipoto either replace Servais or take a walk....and that won't happen because ownership doesn't have the balls to do that and IMO that is why the M's have floundered for so long.

AceKeptic

Free Agent from Elsewhere
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4-0 lead after two...

Completely tanked by the 8th...

MGUselessBigLead.png

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any games this team loses because of the bullpen I am not gonna even waste my time worrying about.
Guys like Erik Swanson and his flat fastball arent gonna be around to see this thing through.

Another solid start for Walker, I wouldnt mind if he could actually be here 2-3 years

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any games this team loses because of the bullpen I am not gonna even waste my time worrying about.
Guys like Erik Swanson and his flat fastball arent gonna be around to see this thing through.

Another solid start for Walker, I wouldnt mind if he could actually be here 2-3 years

Yeah, get your foundation built with starting pitchers and then it's much easier to fill in the bullpen via FA... If some of these young arms pan out in the bull pen, then fine but they're atrocious right now...

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I will preface this next statement that I haven’t really watched just followed on Twitter. But keeping Walker seems like a good deal for them because it doesn’t seem like the guys down in Tacoma will be ready next year.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariners bullpen blows. Doesn't matter because so does this team, but man you'd think they could at least have one reliable guy out there. How is Altavilla still in MLB? lol

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariners bullpen blows. Doesn't matter because so does this team, but man you'd think they could at least have one reliable guy out there. How is Altavilla still in MLB? lol

It is what it is. You build a bullpen with pennies and duct tape, the bad results wont be surprising. Its better then throwing money at guys like Cishek, Rzepcynski and Nicasicio and getting bad results in a season that doesnt matter. If we feel good or ok about 2 of the guys we see in the pen this year, ill chalk that up as enough of a win.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will preface this next statement that I haven’t really watched just followed on Twitter. But keeping Walker seems like a good deal for them because it doesn’t seem like the guys down in Tacoma will be ready next year.

Agreed and he is someone that maybe has a bit of an upside if he can even tap into a little bit of the upside from a few years ago. But yeah starting pitching I am not sure we have all the tools in house to get where we need to eventually. Ideally we are bad enough to get Kumar or Leiter next draft but if not I think we will need outside of the organization help.

Msfann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5 runs and only 1 out for the astros in the 1st inning, this is going to be a LONG game.

Msfann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
7 runs and only 1 out in the 1st before he got pulled. Only the Mariners...

Msfann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whoever our starter was. .3 innings, 8 runs.

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This game is not going to be much fun to watch. Our pen is just giving the stros some expensive batting practice. :L :suds:

Msfann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least its still early in the game. It would be badass if the Mariners won it now.

AceKeptic

Free Agent from Elsewhere
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welp, it's official...

WE HAVE OFFICIALLY QUIT.

Thanks a lot, you cowards.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariners remind me of a modern day liberal... They can suck like shit and still have no accountability because the ones in charge will give them a pass...