• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Leonard Williams and the Jets Defense

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I don't think Leonard Williams is all that great. If they create a defensive scheme just to get an excuse to put him on the field without taking off one of their other pass rushers, it's all the more reason to believe the Jet's took a player they absolutely didn't need. Then if they let anyone go next season, this pick is simply a replacement pick for one of them.

But none of that proves why I think Williams is a meh player. He's a meh player because half his highlights are against weaker o lines, and some of them show him getting pushed back by one guy, only to come up with a sack after two of his other teammates got hands on the QB.

And no, Williams wasn't double teamed every game. Most of his plays were single teams, and he was constantly hurt during his college career. If I were the Jets, I wouldn't run a defense that depended on him, frankly. I would put him in a rotation with my already solid front 4. But taking out a corner/safety to let this guy play more? That's really risky. I'd probably just trade Williams for a first rounder next year and keep my other guys. They really don't need him at all.

That said, I would absolutely love to see the 4-6 Defense in my lifetime again and they have the defensive personnel to pull it off. Leonard Williams, Wilkerson, Damon Harrison, Sheldon Richardson and Quinton Coples!

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The idea wasn't to get all these players on the field at the same time....it was simply a best player available philosophy that was made possible by the fact that the Jet's have no intentions of signing Richardson to a near Suh type of contract (close to what he will get on the open market).

Jet's tried to move him during the draft and no team was willing to give up enough to offset what the Jet's will get as a compensatory pick so it looks as if they will head down that route with him and just take a late 3rd rounder in 2017 for him walking away. Although a team might still be willing to pony up the 3rd rounder it would likely take before the season starts: the 49ers now with Smith making it official and that GM now essentially with a bull's eye on his chest because of this offseason might still bite and make an offer here in the next month or so.

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm reading more about this defense and it's nothing short of terrifying. Last year that 3 man front was so nasty that it overshadowed the fact that they had one of the worst secondaries in football. You add Revis, Cro, Skrine, Ghilchrist, Leonard Williams and a healthy Milliner to that equation and you have something special. Expect them to blitz more than anyone else in the league. Thats what Bowles did in Arizona last year. Even though they had no premium rushers they had such a great secondary they could blitz almost constantly which allowed them to get a lot of sacks and pressure with very little. Employ that here with a BETTER secondary AND a premium front 7...whoooowee. They still arent a serious contender because of the QB situation but they are close. If they start Fitz they have a chance, if they start Geno theyre screwed anyway!