• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lee signs extension

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some team picked a punter in the 3rd round this year, which was very rare or a record. So the poster was saying that we don't have to do that to find our Franchise Punter.

It would be considered rare, but not even close to a record. There have been 7 "pure punters" (as opposed to Punter/QB's and Punter/Place Kickers) taken prior to the 70th pick in the draft since 1973. The highest drafted pure punter in NFL history is Ray Guy.

In 1973 Guy was selected in the 1st round with the 23rd overall pick by none other than Al Davis. Even the 49ers got into the act when in 1980 we drafted Jim Miller with a 3rd round/65th overall pick.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hes one of the best as his pos

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be considered rare, but not even close to a record. There have been 7 "pure punters" (as opposed to Punter/QB's and Punter/Place Kickers) taken prior to the 70th pick in the draft since 1973. The highest drafted pure punter in NFL history is Ray Guy.

In 1973 Guy was selected in the 1st round with the 23rd overall pick by none other than Al Davis. Even the 49ers got into the act when in 1980 we drafted Jim Miller with a 3rd round/65th overall pick.

I guess I underestimated punter's perceived worth. Lee's obviously very important to us, and in retrospect would be worth a high pick, but in the grand scheme, punter doesn't seem like a pick you would select high (despite the field position battle importance).

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Some team picked a punter in the 3rd round this year, which was very rare or a record. So the poster was saying that we don't have to do that to find our Franchise Punter.

ok, mahalo.

this brings up the question.........would Baalke draft a punter in the 3rd? my guess this board would hate it.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I underestimated punter's perceived worth. Lee's obviously very important to us, and in retrospect would be worth a high pick, but in the grand scheme, a punter doesn't seem like a pick you would select high (despite the field position battle importance).

And in the grand scheme you're right - but if this kid Anger can do for the Jags what Lee does for us, then he will be worth every bit of his 70th overall pick.

Considering he will begin the 2012 season as the starting punter for the Jags he'll get an immediate opportunity to reward the Jags for the risk of taking him at 70.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
say you KNEW on draft day a punter would be an "annual Pro Bowler", would you spend a 3rd rounder on him? say you knew this next punter will do what Lee is doing now, is he worth a 3rd?

high 3rd? mid 3rd? late 3rd?

[i'm STILL mulling it over]

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
say you KNEW on draft day a punter would be an "annual Pro Bowler", would you spend a 3rd rounder on him?

Yes. Yes I would. I'd spend a mid 2nd rounder on him if he's an annual pro bowler (unless a player I absolutely loved was on the board).

Punters can play for like 20 years.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ahhhhh. I had some contract numbers on a few other punters typed out and then my computer went crazy so I ended up losing my post.

To summarize what I was going to say, I am surprised that a number of the top punters in the NFL have not signed deals/extensions all that recently so it's hard to compare Lee's deal to too many other punters. Lechler's deal, which averages $4M annually, is the best comparison.

The other thing that was interesting to me that I didn't know nearly as much as I do now is just how often teams switch punters and just the incosistency that goes with that position. I was looking at lists from different years of the top punters in the league and I was surprised to see how a guy can be at the top of so many lists for a season or two and then all of a sudden he falls off a bit and ends up moving on to a new team.

I have been in awe of Lee so many times the last couple of years but it makes me appreciate Lee and Lechler even more than I did even before I started looking into that position further. Lee and Lechler now make 2-4 times as much as other punters but their consistency over the years is awesome. It's more rare to see a punter earn a 2nd and 3rd contract/extension than I thought.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
say you KNEW on draft day a punter would be an "annual Pro Bowler", would you spend a 3rd rounder on him? say you knew this next punter will do what Lee is doing now, is he worth a 3rd?

high 3rd? mid 3rd? late 3rd?

Oh hell yes! Just to put some perspective to it - for OUR team last year I would have spent a 1st round pick for Andy Lee.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Oh hell yes! Just to put some perspective to it - for OUR team last year I would have spent a 1st round pick for Andy Lee.

Yeah, I think that's a key part of the equation. Obviously a pick like that would be something of a waste for say the Pats or the Packers. But we were sure glad for Lee on more than one occasion.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

no doubt a pro bowl punter is huge for a team with only a strong D. so if we just look at the 49ers last year, he'd easily be worth a 3rd rounder, maybe even a 2nd? but i'll stop here and not go into the 1st.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
we also had good coverages last year, don't think we gave up any long return? whether kick off or punt, coverages were solid.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I think that's a key part of the equation. Obviously a pick like that would be something of a waste for say the Pats or the Packers. But we were sure glad for Lee on more than one occasion.

You understood my post perfectly! And, your Pats/Pack comment is 100% correct IMO.

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Wasn't Miller the Barefoot kicker or the guy that wore only the upper half of the sock?!!:bowl:

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't Miller the Barefoot kicker or the guy that wore only the upper half of the sock?!!:bowl:

I don't recall the sock but I think you're right about him punting barefoot. That hurts just thinking about it!

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
???

you're just being sarcastic and i can't catch it? :-(

Yep, as I think MHS pointed out. I love Lee, buit for the record...I doubt I would ever spend anything higher than a 5th. Maybe a fourth, depending on everything else. My goal would be for the team to be so good, that a punter should be near irrelevant.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, as I think MHS pointed out. I love Lee, buit for the record...I doubt I would ever spend anything higher than a 5th. Maybe a fourth, depending on everything else. My goal would be for the team to be so good, that a punter should be near irrelevant.

Ahhh, eliminate the impact of the punter by converting 3rd downs, going for it on 4th downs and/or scoring on every drive!!

I see what you did there - AND I LIKE IT!

Well played Mem!

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Breaking down Andy Lee's contract

The embedded video has a panel discussion about Smith's comments he made earlier this week about 300-yard passing games and Cam Newton. Interesting factoid at the end of the video about the past 10-year W/L percentage for 300-yard passing games as well.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahhh, eliminate the impact of the punter by converting 3rd downs, going for it on 4th downs and/or scoring on every drive!!

I see what you did there - AND I LIKE IT!

Well played Mem!

I remember a game we played against the bills in the 90's. Between both teams, I think there was one punt the whole game. I'm not saying it's possible to do that regularly, but I'd rather have a team that punts as few times as possible than even an awesome punter like Lee.