• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

LeBron announces he will provide full college scholarships to children who complete his program

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited:

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LeBron announces he will provide full college scholarships to children who complete his program

6,000 kids currently in his program. (The program is a promise to go to school, study, and graduate middle school and high school).

Lucky for those kids, LeBron will be in a better position to come through on his promise than Michael Scott was :-)
gotta give LeBron credit where credit is due.

The guy has never been anything but a very solid role model and puts his money where his mouth is in helping out NorthEast Ohio-

There are plenty of things LeBron has done that have irked me - and he can OBVIOUSLy be extremely full of himself at times- but there are just very few guys that have never got in trouble with the law, or done something to diminish themselves in someway or caught with drugs or whatever- Bron almost always has done the right thing and really is a great asset to the NorthEast Ohio area- not only on the court- but - probably more importantly even- OFF the court. That is definitely one of the reasons why it was so easy to take him back.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not much of a Lebron fan, but he deserves all the credit in the world for doing this. He is in a unique position to really make a difference.

What I want to know is if he is fronting all the money or just part & the rest of the money pooled from a group of donors/sponsors to his program? Either way, good job by him.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not much of a Lebron fan, but he deserves all the credit in the world for doing this. He is in a unique position to really make a difference.

What I want to know is if he is fronting all the money or just part & the rest of the money pooled from a group of donors/sponsors to his program? Either way, good job by him.

The University of Akron is a partner with him in the announcement... so I'm sure whatever money comes out of LeBron's pocket will be seriously discounted compared to typical tuition / fees. (I assume the scholarship is only good for that University... but I don't that for sure)

It only makes sense for him to use his influence and marketing power as way to lessen the cost of the scholarships. That he way he can help more kids with the same amount of money.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very cool thing to do. I love seeing when players do this kind of thing.

Blitzville

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Call me a cynic all you want, but what rubs the wrong about this is the fact this it's being publicized! When it comes to LBJ, it always seems like his PR machine is non-stop! If it's not him buying a piece of a soccer team, it's him signing a deal w/ Beats, the new deal w/ the movie studio, his vacation w/ his NBA homies or this scholarship story. Helping poor kids get a college education is a beautiful thing, but I can't help but notice how this stuff seems to always leak to the media when Bron-Bron is involved.

This should be a local story in OH, not nat'l/int'l news...

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Call me a cynic all you want, but what rubs the wrong about this is the fact this it's being publicized! When it comes to LBJ, it always seems like his PR machine is non-stop! If it's not him buying a piece of a soccer team, it's him signing a deal w/ Beats, the new deal w/ the movie studio, his vacation w/ his NBA homies or this scholarship story. Helping poor kids get a college education is a beautiful thing, but I can't help but notice how this stuff seems to always leak to the media when Bron-Bron is involved.

I'm guessing that the University of Akron wouldn't have partnered with him for it without being promised some significant PR.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guessing that the University of Akron wouldn't have partnered with him for it without being promised some significant PR.

That's a great thing LeBron is doing. Someday I sure would like to see Akron U. get rid of that piece of shit JAR though.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What isnt publicized these days? With all the social media, news, etc. nothing can be missed even if you try to hide it, which there is no need in this situation bc it is a lot about the AkronU as well.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It always gets out and publicized to a certain extent because word gets out even if the player tries to keep it quiet. If nothing else, recipients and/or their parents will talk about it. Not saying that Lebron (or any player) is above publicizing these things to help their image, just that it isn't always about that.

I remember hearing about a charity that Kobe had quietly started a few years ago. If memory serves, it had to do with helping homeless people in LA. Within a few weeks, stories started to appear. It's entirely possible that Kobe himself was behind the info getting out. But the fact that it was several weeks later tends to make me think that it came from someone who was helped or someone working with the charity.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It benefits him with good publicity, it benefits potentially X number of kids over the years..so really its a win/win.

That leads me to : The Decision.

It benefited him financially , and it still to this day benefits kids..

I've never to this day understood why people get so upset over that.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gotta give LeBron credit where credit is due.

The guy has never been anything but a very solid role model and puts his money where his mouth is in helping out NorthEast Ohio-

There are plenty of things LeBron has done that have irked me - and he can OBVIOUSLy be extremely full of himself at times- but there are just very few guys that have never got in trouble with the law, or done something to diminish themselves in someway or caught with drugs or whatever- Bron almost always has done the right thing and really is a great asset to the NorthEast Ohio area- not only on the court- but - probably more importantly even- OFF the court. That is definitely one of the reasons why it was so easy to take him back.

Couldn't agree more. Lebron doesn't know how to leave a team, and on the court I hate the guy. But off the court, I can't find a fault here.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, if he's doing for publicity, fuck it. It still benefits a lot of kids that likely wouldn't be able to afford school. I don't know if you've been paying attention to society in general; but continued educated for ~6000 people certainly couldn't hurt. There's plenty of things to bitch about Lebron, this isn't one of them.

Blitzville

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It benefits him with good publicity, it benefits potentially X number of kids over the years..so really its a win/win.

That leads me to : The Decision.

It benefited him financially , and it still to this day benefits kids..

I've never to this day understood why people get so upset over that.

As long as you have Beasley as your avatar I'll have to question your opinions.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its a great thing but it is not like Lebron is paying this from out of his own pockets.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its a great thing but it is not like Lebron is paying this from out of his own pockets.

Article doesn't say and it really shouldn't matter. Whether he is paying out of his own pocket, has gotten his corporate sponsors to cover the cost, worked with the University of Akron to provide the scholarships or some combination of the three. The fact is, some kids are going to get a college education that otherwise might not.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How come anytime James gives something to someone he adds the #EarnedNotGiven? :noidea: