• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Last Saturday Oregon Beats Bama

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
damn, missed it by one

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vanilla as in how? They played VT the same way in 2009. Schematically it is in Bama's favor for try to line up against VT and punch them in the mouth in TE heavy power formations. It is NOT in their best interest to spread things out, utilize long developing misdirections/counters, and generally get "cute" against a Bud Foster defense. VT's bread and butter is outsmarting you and being more athletic than you on defense. VT's weakness is having less than typical size particularly in the front 7. Alabama tried to do exactly what they did last time and exactly the way they do a lot of teams they out size. They tried to run it down VT's throat and then catch you cheating up to throw it square in your weak spot. The problem with Bama's offense in that game was they couldn't run it down VT's throat and that lead to Bama's QBs going 10/24 for 110yds and an interception. Simple as that. Bud Foster said before this game even took place that he felt good in this game if he could stop Bama's run game and that he was going to be in a world of hurt if he couldn't. He succeeded.

How elitist really is it to sit back and say that your offense sucked in this game because your team wanted it to suck? Seriously? Do some of you even realize how this stuff is perceived after it's been said?

I guess by this standard putting the 2nd string in for the 4th quarter was also elitist?

I didn't go back and watch for audibles and what not. I do know that I was bitching the entire game for exactly the things he mentioned - obvious play calling with no adjustments for VT stacking the box. If that makes me elitist, then whatever.

But it's no slight against VT really. Many teams couldn't have stopped it. VT did.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to the OP. You didn't see this last year when TAMU BEAT Alabama?

rolltide14_0

~V--I--P~
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,833.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vanilla as in how? They played VT the same way in 2009. Schematically it is in Bama's favor for try to line up against VT and punch them in the mouth in TE heavy power formations. It is NOT in their best interest to spread things out, utilize long developing misdirections/counters, and generally get "cute" against a Bud Foster defense. VT's bread and butter is outsmarting you and being more athletic than you on defense. VT's weakness is having less than typical size particularly in the front 7. Alabama tried to do exactly what they did last time and exactly the way they do a lot of teams they out size. They tried to run it down VT's throat and then catch you cheating up to throw it square in your weak spot. The problem with Bama's offense in that game was they couldn't run it down VT's throat and that lead to Bama's QBs going 10/24 for 110yds and an interception. Simple as that. Bud Foster said before this game even took place that he felt good in this game if he could stop Bama's run game and that he was going to be in a world of hurt if he couldn't. He succeeded.

How elitist really is it to sit back and say that your offense sucked in this game because your team wanted it to suck? Seriously? Do some of you even realize how this stuff is perceived after it's been said?

:L No one is saying the offense didn't have problems. We had new TE's, new running backs, and new offensive lineman getting broke in, making your typical first game mistakes. The part we're talking about is Alabama repeatedly running into a stacked box, when the smart thing to do would be to go 4 wide to get those guys out of the box.

The point of this game, with a comfortable lead, was to give the offensive line/TE's as much work as possible. That's coming from the mouth of Aaron Suttles, not me. If the special teams and defense had not been as successful, then you can bet we put up more points on offense.

I'm done arguing this shit, neither of our minds are changing, might as well drop it. We won, you lost, and it wasn't even close...end of story. Damn Bama fans piss me off with their complaining about a 25 point win over a pretty good team.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my opinion, A&M has the better offense, Oregon has a better defense.

2. As for their offense, no doubt they are at worst top 2, right behind A&M in my opinion, but I wouldn't argue if you said they're #1. However, I think Bama's defense might have an easier time with Oregon, it really seems like they are more of run team than A&M is, I think our defense has the players to limit their run game and force Mariota to beat us with the pass......

Mariota 450 yards passing Saturday with 4 tds in less than 3 quarters

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets just say for sake of argument aTm and Oregon offenses are equal( which they aren't) Ducks are far more explosive and balanced. Have several more weapons etc.

The Ducks also don't turn the ball over nearly as much as aTm. Oregon zero turnovers so far. aTm 4 turnovers so far.

But lets just say they are equals.

The defenses however are not close in Oregon's favor. The d-line has 3 future NFL players that take snaps. The secondary is probably the best in the country as well.

Currently the defense is 4th Nationally and will finish top 10. aTm defense is in the 100s.

Oregon leads the nation in INTs last season and most likely this season. They also are pacing and most likely will have the highest turnover margin in the country at years end.

Last edited by a moderator:

rolltide14_0

~V--I--P~
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,833.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariota 450 yards passing Saturday with 4 tds in less than 3 quarters

I know you guys can pass too, but you were playing Tennessee, and you guys have an offense built to be a damn stat hog vs bad to average teams. Ya'll run so many plays and can do so many different things, people are scared of the running backs on those sweeps and read options, I'd hope those stats were there.

I'm saying I think we have the athletes to limit the running game, which in turn would limit Mariota....imo.

Not saying any of this is fact, ya'll could totally run wild on us, just my opinions.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
vs Tennessee.

Lets see what others do vs Tennessee. They wont put up as many points or yards than what Oregon did in 40 mins.

Not close. Probably a lil over half of what Oregon did in 40 min of production.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets see what others do vs Tennessee. They wont put up as many points or yards than what Oregon did in 40 mins.

Not close. Probably a lil over half of what Oregon did in 40 min of production.

Texas A&M doesn't play Tennessee this year unfortunately, it would be interesting. I was just talking about the comparison of A&M and Oregon. Where as A&M played Alabama while Oregon played Tennessee, and it's rather silly IMO for the OP to claim what he did.

But some reference: Alabama scored 44 last year and 300 yards passing, over 200 rushing. I don't know when we shut it down on them.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas A&M doesn't play Tennessee this year unfortunately, it would be interesting. I was just talking about the comparison of A&M and Oregon. Where as A&M played Alabama while Oregon played Tennessee, and it's rather silly IMO for the OP to claim what he did.

But some reference: Alabama scored 44 last year and 300 yards passing, over 200 rushing. I don't know when we shut it down on them.

Yeah and they also played 2 cupcakes. add that to Bama and aTm still shouldn't be ranked in the 100s on defense. But they are.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah and they also played 2 cupcakes. add that to Bama and aTm still shouldn't be ranked in the 100s on defense. But they are.

Yeah, Oregon hasn't played any cupcakes...

:wtf:

Sorry, but I consider 464 passing yards against Alabama as being more impressive than the 450 in 40 minutes against Tennessee. Agree to disagree I guess.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L No one is saying the offense didn't have problems. We had new TE's, new running backs, and new offensive lineman getting broke in, making your typical first game mistakes. The part we're talking about is Alabama repeatedly running into a stacked box, when the smart thing to do would be to go 4 wide to get those guys out of the box.

The point of this game, with a comfortable lead, was to give the offensive line/TE's as much work as possible. That's coming from the mouth of Aaron Suttles, not me. If the special teams and defense had not been as successful, then you can bet we put up more points on offense.

I'm done arguing this shit, neither of our minds are changing, might as well drop it. We won, you lost, and it wasn't even close...end of story. Damn Bama fans piss me off with their complaining about a 25 point win over a pretty good team.

:L you still have no idea the points I am trying to get across.

And for the whole "we just weren't trying because we were winning" deal. In the first half Alabama averaged 16.8 yds per drive on offense. In the 2nd half they averaged a pretty similar 15.5 yds per play. This is when taking both drives at the end of the half into account with drives of -2 and 0 just to be fair. Unless you are going to sit here and tell me that Alabama quit trying before they got off the bus (which I'm sure is the next move in this argument because it always is) then all of these rationalizations do not make sense. Teams don't stop trying 5 minutes into a game from a player and coaching perspective. If that is indeed what you intend to argue, then that team has a lot worse problems than shitting the bed on offense in 1 game.

btw- I do not play football for VT and you do not play for Alabama....you have not beaten me at anything.:L

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Oregon hasn't played any cupcakes...

:wtf:

Sorry, but I consider 464 passing yards against Alabama as being more impressive than the 450 in 40 minutes against Tennessee. Agree to disagree I guess.

I never mentioned Oregon hasn't played cupcakes.

But all is equal I suppose when talking about bad teams.

Point is. Texas A&M has been equally bad on defense vs Bama, Sam Houston, and Rice.

Their defense is ranked in the 100s. Oregon's is 4th. That is my whole point, the Ducks haven't given up tons of yards and points to shitty teams like aTm has.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L you still have no idea the points I am trying to get across.

And for the whole "we just weren't trying because we were winning" deal. In the first half Alabama averaged 16.8 yds per drive on offense. In the 2nd half they averaged a pretty similar 15.5 yds per play. This is when taking both drives at the end of the half into account with drives of -2 and 0 just to be fair. Unless you are going to sit here and tell me that Alabama quit trying before they got off the bus (which I'm sure is the next move in this argument because it always is) then all of these rationalizations do not make sense. Teams don't stop trying 5 minutes into a game from a player and coaching perspective. If that is indeed what you intend to argue, then that team has a lot worse problems than shitting the bed on offense in 1 game.

btw- I do not play football for VT and you do not play for Alabama....you have not beaten me at anything.:L

VT was a warm up game. Nothing more nothing less. Prolly shoulda played it on a Thursday imo.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Point is. Texas A&M has been equally bad on defense vs Bama, Sam Houston, and Rice.

Their defense is ranked in the 100s. Oregon's is 30th....but that is still pretty good. That is my whole point, the Ducks haven't given up tons of yards and points to shitty teams like aTm has.

fify :lol:

You better watch out bro, he is getting frustrated at all the "jelly" and starting to downvote people. :pound:

Last edited by a moderator:

greennyellOw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You cant say that Oregon would beat Bama. Sure we played an SEC team with the supposed size that all SEC teams have. Its been beat in my head that SEC size always beats anyone except for ICO. A big12 team almost beat Bama this last week. They wont be an SEC team for another 3 years IMO. TaM SEC recruiting started last year. Manziels even a 12 recruit. OH and he tranferred schools once he learned Mariota was coming to Oregon. Hmmm...why is that?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Their defense is ranked in the 100s. Oregon's is 4th. That is my whole point, the Ducks haven't given up tons of yards and points to shitty teams like aTm has.

Don't think anyone disagrees that Oregons defense is better.