• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Larry Johnson calls for an "all black league"

Steelboy84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Um, it is his heritage and he doesn't like being called black? :noidea:

The federal government gives people these classifications.

But it's easier for the whiners to bytch about the individual when they should take it up with the federal govt. You know how it works.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Racist statements against a race that was very recently enslaved and mistreated in this country are going to draw much more ire than ones against a race that wasn't.

To say nothing of the difference of being a former employee of the league vs being a current employer.

HuskerCradle2Grave

Big Red in the Big Ten!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The federal government gives people these classifications.

But it's easier for the whiners to bytch about the individual when they should take it up with the federal govt. You know how it works.

Sure. But I defer to a person to choose how they are referred to. I had a friend that flat out said he wasn't African American. He wasn't from Africa and had never even been there. He said he was black. So whenever it came up he was black as far as I was concerned. If someone wants to be called African American, who am I to argue?

Steelboy84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure. But I defer to a person to choose how they are referred to. I had a friend that flat out said he wasn't African American. He wasn't from Africa and had never even been there. He said he was black. So whenever it came up he was black as far as I was concerned. If someone wants to be called African American, who am I to argue?

Pretty much this.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets see if Silver has any reaction or statement on this event as well. Its going to tell us alot about whether this league is just for marketing or is really founded on the principles he just stated.

Ironic timing IMO.

wlk3

Me and the guys
Hoopla Cash
$ 168,223.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wlk, How could you possibly try to twist this into anything that it isn't. it is written right in front of you.

You are spinning this to save face. And I don't get it. Johnson doesn't represent you, other minorities, or all black people. Just as Sterling is rogue also is Johnson. (or should be) So why make this an issue that it doesn't have to be?

Larry Johnson @TheRealLJ2 Follow Black people your Focusing on the wrong thing. We should be focusing on having our own, Own team own League! To For Self!!

“We’ve got a lot of rebellious slaves on this [Knicks] team.”

Larry Johnson. 1999

Not surprised in the least to see wlk3 defending a racist black person.

I know, right? Took me completely by surprise.

Are you guys aware that using "" means that's exactly what somebody said...? Because I hadn't seen those quotes... Also, as somebody posted he seemed to say Black owned and operated, didn't see where he said he didn't want White people brought to his games like Sterling did...:noidea:

In the end, I agree as an executive his comments were inappropriate, you guys can't be serious when you say it's worse than Sterling...

First it's cute to cut off the part where I said I didn't condone the comments by LJ... Second why do I need to save face, I didn't say nor do anything... Third I still don't see where he said he would exclude anybody... He said IMO that Sterling is obviously a racist, and perhaps there are others, but the players make the league and they are predominantly African-American, and so should unite and start their own league... I disagree personally... That's a blanket statement and I don't believe all the owners are racist... That's where my problem is... Also he's asking a lot, players to try and start a league to combat the NBA... I personally don't believe it would work...

But the point was, again IMO, he was saying that in order to be sure there is no racism they should start a league where the people who owned the business reflected their employees... I don't see where he said no OTHER RACES ALLOWED...

Lastly, Robotic has shown his only concern about the Sterling situation was that Sterling was recorded without his knowledge, and that's not legal in California... Way to continue to play your role... :L

wlk3

Me and the guys
Hoopla Cash
$ 168,223.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yoga... I love yoga... Especially the kind with strawberry at the bottom... Oh and peaches...:drool:

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I still stand by my beliefs that Larry Johnson's comments/response is more misguided and stupid than it is racist

I believe that he should absolutely be punished in some way. Whether his intents are racist or not, no one should get a pass for making a comment like that (especially if you are an exec of an NBA team)

Also wanted to clarify my original statement as well. When I said that Larry Johnson's comments are "more" misguided and stupid than racist, I didn't mean that he was absolutely not racist at all. I just felt that it was more of a stupid response if anything than a blatant racist attack. But again, hard to judge intent and whatever his intentions were shouldn't matter...he should be punished for his actions regardless of his intents.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If all these Don Sterling fans don't think that his racism was a big deal, I have no problems with what Larry Johnson said.

LucklessPadresFan

Creedence Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I still stand by my beliefs that Larry Johnson's comments/response is more misguided and stupid than it is racist

I believe that he should absolutely be punished in some way. Whether his intents are racist or not, no one should get a pass for making a comment like that (especially if you are an exec of an NBA team)

Also wanted to clarify my original statement as well. When I said that Larry Johnson's comments are "more" misguided and stupid than racist, I didn't mean that he was absolutely not racist at all. I just felt that it was more of a stupid response if anything than a blatant racist attack. But again, hard to judge intent and whatever his intentions were shouldn't matter...he should be punished for his actions regardless of his intents.

There's the old saying that a giraffe and a turtle can occupy the same space, but have a completely different world view. As a black man, Larry Johnson's response to what Sterling said is going to be far different than a white man's. His remark was not made out of hate or spite, but instead made out of a response to the inherent racism that he, and other blacks, feel is still out there today. I have no problem with what he said.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's the old saying that a giraffe and a turtle can occupy the same space, but have a completely different world view. As a black man, Larry Johnson's response to what Sterling said is going to be far different than a white man's. His remark was not made out of hate or spite, but instead made out of a response to the inherent racism that he, and other blacks, feel is still out there today. I have no problem with what he said.

Lmao, OH really? Gotta love the justification card. Keep em coming, I need a good laugh!

LucklessPadresFan

Creedence Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your inability to attempt to understand another culture's point of view is sad indeed.

hockey878

Hoopla Cash
$ 300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its sad that you think making comments encouraging segregation is ok.

again, if a white executive of a company said we are going to have white ownership, and only hire white employees im pretty sure there would be mass outrage.

what donald sterling said was very wrong and inappropriate. Larry Johnson's comments were equally awful.

LucklessPadresFan

Creedence Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with your reasoning is that historically all white organizations have been created as a way of keeping minorities and women out of the political, economical and social power structures. The organizations created by minorities and women have been created in an effort to offset the racism that was/is so prevelant in most of the white only organizations. Had Sterling not made his comments, I don't think LJ would have said what he did. Why would blacks not want their own league, if in their point of view (and a valid one with Sterling's comments) they work for racist and bigoted owners?

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its sad that you think making comments encouraging segregation is ok.

again, if a white executive of a company said we are going to have white ownership, and only hire white employees im pretty sure there would be mass outrage.

what donald sterling said was very wrong and inappropriate. Larry Johnson's comments were equally awful.

Fine, then let the Knicks handle it. If they have no problem with it will you go after Dolan or is this just an attempt to go after a Black guy?

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your inability to attempt to understand another culture's point of view is sad indeed.

So basically you are saying that it is ok for blacks to respond to racism by whites with racism of their own? Come on, man!

hockey878

Hoopla Cash
$ 300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fine, then let the Knicks handle it. If they have no problem with it will you go after Dolan or is this just an attempt to go after a Black guy?

SOMEONE needs to handle it. I don't care who. Im sure the league has the authority to handle it, but im not sure on the specific laws of the league

hockey878

Hoopla Cash
$ 300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If John Paxson came out and said we need an all-white league, lets get the black people out you know it would be national news and he would be fired. Im just asking that Larry Johnson receive the same punhisment as any white person would get. That is how it should be if we want things to be equal!