• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lance Briggs To sign with 49ers

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Im really starting to 2nd guess Baalke. He has made some "What are you doing" moves this year. I hope he has a plan. I know Baalke has a good track record but the way this offseason has gone this year Im not thrilled.

which moves specifically?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't think Baalke had a plan to deal with the loss of Willis and Borland. Didn't see that coming. There isn't much available. They are looking for some veteran backups at linebacker. Henderson seems the best player of the group, he just has all that baggage.

Can't fault Baalke for not being prepared to lose two pro bowl caliber players at that age. That would devastate most teams; at least we still have one elite starter (pending return from injury) and another solid starter at the position.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
for me, it would be the signing of Pears and Wright

I don't like either move, but I'm not prepared to question Baalke on CB until a guy flops. He's been nails in finding guys at that position. The big problem I have with Pears is the contract and the potential impact on comp picks. Pears doesn't seem like much of an upgrade over Martin, but Martin was really, really bad. Adverse circumstances to even get Martin on the field in the first place, though. Boone, our normal swing tackle in a pinch, held out the spring and wasn't ready to kick outside. Marcus Martin was injured early, and Kilgore was injured late, really hurting our interior OL depth. Really no choice but to go with J. Martin. It should be better this year with Brandon Thomas hopefully coming along.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dont forget bringing back Chris Cook. All 3 of these guys have too much guaranteed money to be cut so all 3 are pretty much locked to make the 53 man roster.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

ok.

we can't assume every FA is going to make the roster? Granted guarantee money just about assures it. We also shouldn't assume we'll be depending on all FA's for significant contribution? To me, Pears and Wright are to improve our depth. If you look at it from that perspective, is it THAT "What Are You Doing"?

there is also the cap impact with all FA's, so signing the ones you do want, also cost more. What we're supposed to look for is value, not just talent or name recognition.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Dont forget bringing back Chris Cook. All 3 of these guys have too much guaranteed money to be cut so all 3 are pretty much locked to make the 53 man roster.

Not really. The team eats dead money pretty much every year. Obviously you don't want to eat a half million dollars, but it's not the end of the world if we do. Again, if there's one position where Baalke deserves some leeway, it's CB. But I certainly agree that none of these signings made me jump for joy.

It's a bit of a mystery how Cook is worth twice as much this year as he was last year, and more guaranteed money than last year's whole contract....

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Also not going after a MLB when both players retired. Oh yeah don't forget about that WR from Min. I do like the Bush move and T. Smith pick ups. Also lets hope we have a plan to replace Iupati. I think that one is really going to hurt. Also throw in that replacing Cox or Cully. I do like not resigning Crabtree.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really. The team eats dead money pretty much every year. Obviously you don't want to eat a half million dollars, but it's not the end of the world if we do. Again, if there's one position where Baalke deserves some leeway, it's CB. But I certainly agree that none of these signings made me jump for joy.

It's a bit of a mystery how Cook is worth twice as much this year as he was last year, and more guaranteed money than last year's whole contract....
Yeah the Cook thing made no sense. Kid gets a raise for not playing.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Also not going after a MLB when both players retired. Oh yeah don't forget about that WR from Min. I do like the Bush move and T. Smith pick ups. Also lets hope we have a plan to replace Iupati. I think that one is really going to hurt. Also throw in that replacing Cox or Cully. I do like not resigning Crabtree.

I think the plan for replacing Iupati would be either Kilgore, Martin, or Brandon Thomas. Camp competition will decide who plays guard and center

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the plan for replacing Iupati would be either Kilgore, Martin, or Brandon Thomas. Camp competition will decide who plays guard and center
Lets have they look good who ever wins the job. I hope Thomas is the real deal. If not our Oline can be in trouble.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

He has been bringing all sorts of ILBs in for visits, and just signed Desmond Bishop a couple days ago. He's been reluctant to take more substantial action for two reasons: 1) there isn't all that much out there, and 2) he doesn't want to jeopardize comp picks. That's the right call, IMO.

Signing Jerome Simpson is a neutral move. He got no guaranteed money, and his contract is at or near the vet minimum. The guy probably doesn't even make the roster. You may not love the move, but there's no reason to dislike it.

As far as Iupati, time will tell. We'll definitely miss his run blocking, but his pass blocking was at best mediocre, and often poor. I'd take a guy who can play both areas of the game pretty well over a guy who elite in one area but a liability in the other. At least for an OL, who is on the field every down.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets have they look good who ever wins the job. I hope Thomas is the real deal. If not our Oline can be in trouble.

We will see. I liked Martin last year. He struggled at times last year but that was not unexpected given the situation he was put in. Hopefully Thomas lives up to the hype

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will see. I liked Martin last year. He struggled at times last year but that was not unexpected given the situation he was put in. Hopefully Thomas lives up to the hype
Yes, feel like we are going all in on Thomas. Us fans don't have much info on him just lets hope Coaches saw enough from him that he will be able to start.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, feel like we are going all in on Thomas. Us fans don't have much info on him just lets hope Coaches saw enough from him that he will be able to start.

Not sure how much the coaches saw in him other than what he did in College. I would think he spent his rookie season rehabbing.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how much the coaches saw in him other than what he did in College. I would think he spent his rookie season rehabbing.
They mention that he looked good at practice later in the year. I hope they are just taking a guess that he can tak over because if so we are in big trouble.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I don't believe he ever practiced last year. Though I could be wrong.

I initially thought that as well, but he was activated for the 21-day practice window. Not sure how much work he got, but at least they would have seen him on the field a bit.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They mention that he looked good at practice later in the year. I hope they are just taking a guess that he can tak over because if so we are in big trouble.

A Kilgore/Martin combo could work. If Pears ends up somehow starting at guard, could be in trouble

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A Kilgore/Martin combo could work. If Pears ends up somehow starting at guard, could be in trouble
I agree Pears cant start. He can be a ok back up if some one went down during the game but we cant depend on him being a starter for a long period of time.