• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lance Briggs To sign with 49ers

bigpb72

OG Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't we loose a deft pick flirting with him ??

The Sacramento Bee also reported the 49ers are interested in Tampa Bay linebacker Mason Foster. The Bears expressed interest in Foster early in free agency, according to a source. But the sides haven’t been able to come to an agreement on a deal.

A 12-year veteran, Briggs missed the last five games of the 2014 season after suffering a groin injury in the second quarter of the team's win against the Buccaneers.

Briggs, 34, wasn’t expecting the Bears to put an offer on the table prior to him hitting free agency. Before sitting out the last five games last season because of the groin injury, Briggs missed three other games due to a rib injury.

A seven-time Pro Bowler, Briggs earned $4.75 million in base salary in 2014, and isn’t expected to be able to command such a salary to return to the Bears in 2015.

Briggs has missed 11 games over the past two seasons. He missed seven outings in 2013 because of a fractured shoulder. Briggs contributed 63 tackles, an interception, and a forced fumble to go with two pass breakups and a quarterback pressure in eight starts in 2014.

Throughout his career, Briggs has produced 1,564 tackles, 95.5 tackles for lost yardage, 16 interceptions, 15 sacks, 19 forced fumbles, and seven fumble recoveries in addition to scoring six defensive touchdowns in 170 starts over 173 contests. Briggs' six defensive touchdowns rank as third most in franchise history. His 170 starts rank as fifth best in franchise history, trailing Walter Payton (184), Olin Kreutz (183), Brian Urlacher (180) and Mike Singletary (172).

Briggs led the Bears in tackles in five seasons (2004, '08, '09, '11, and '12), and posted 100 tackles or more in nine consecutive seasons from 2004 to '12.

bigpb72

OG Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a source who says he will sign if he can get a 2 year with a nice garuenteed amount

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a horrible idea! To bring in an aging OLB who has now become injury prone. We already have enough OLB and an article also came out saying the 49ers havent thought of moving Brooks to an ILB yet. The only way this move makes sense is if we do move Brooks.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I wouldn't guarantee Lance Briggs a penny. The guy was great once, but he's old and injury prone. Two years? It's not 2010.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this is the case I would say no. I like the idea of bringing Briggs in but all depends on what the price tag is.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see him as TC fodder...if he impresses, then he sticks. Otherwise, we ride or die with Moody, Wilhoite, Bowman (hopefully), maybe Skov, and possibly a draft pick. I don't see us reaching in the draft for an ILB in the year of one of the weakest ILB draft classes (allegedly) in the past 10 years. Wilhoite is a starter on any team. Bowman, even if the injury caused him to lose a step, would still be an above average ILB with his instincts and knowledge of angles from which to hit the opponent the hardest. Moody was unspectacular last season at ILB, but his ST skills are legit IMO. Skov is the wild card. He is a poor man's Chris Borland? Everything about how he has carried himself and the respect he has garnered both in HS and in college as a leader. But we have yet to see enough of a sample size from Skov for us to determine as Couch GMs if he has the speed to keep up with the game. If he is anywhere near as good at angles as Borland was, he'll be fine. I have high hopes for him, think he could be a starter should Bow not be ready and hold his own until Bow is back.

If Briggs lights shit up, then you keep him on the roster. He gets injured or he just flat out sucks ass, he gets cut and Skov comes up and gets to fight for a chance to prove himself.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im really starting to 2nd guess Baalke. He has made some "What are you doing" moves this year. I hope he has a plan. I know Baalke has a good track record but the way this offseason has gone this year Im not thrilled.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im really starting to 2nd guess Baalke. He has made some "What are you doing" moves this year. I hope he has a plan. I know Baalke has a good track record but the way this offseason has gone this year Im not thrilled.

I don't think Baalke had a plan to deal with the loss of Willis and Borland. Didn't see that coming. There isn't much available. They are looking for some veteran backups at linebacker. Henderson seems the best player of the group, he just has all that baggage.