• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lakers plan to court Kevin Ollie and John Calipari

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am glade they are taking their time.

Yep, me too. I saw a brief interview with Mitch where he said they want to see where they are in the draft before deciding on a coach.

Makes sense. When drafting as high as the Lakers potentially could, you are (hopefully) drafting a "face of the franchise" type player, so you want to make sure you have the right coach.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mitch also stated in an interview that, although he sometimes chats with Kobe and bounces things off of him, Mitch and the rest of the FO are not going to directly include Kobe in selecting the next coach.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tuesday may give them a better idea of where to go with the coaching search. I would love to get parker.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's Mitch's quote...

"From time to time we ask his advice," Kupchak told ESPN's Andy Katz at the NBA draft combine Thursday in Chicago. "He really won't weigh in on something like this. I'm not even sure that we'll talk to him prior to interviews. But from time to time, he is in our facility, I'll go downstairs and I'll talk to him about a bunch of different things."

Sounds like Kobe's opinions will be discussed, but he won't be making the final decision. That seemed obvious to begin with. I feel the media is trying to create some drama here between Mitch and Kobe that's not there regarding this coaching search.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's Mitch's quote...

"From time to time we ask his advice," Kupchak told ESPN's Andy Katz at the NBA draft combine Thursday in Chicago. "He really won't weigh in on something like this. I'm not even sure that we'll talk to him prior to interviews. But from time to time, he is in our facility, I'll go downstairs and I'll talk to him about a bunch of different things."

Sounds like Kobe's opinions will be discussed, but he won't be making the final decision. That seemed obvious to begin with. I feel the media is trying to create some drama here between Mitch and Kobe that's not there regarding this coaching search.

I agree. First of all, the Lakers have never sought out or included any players in the final decision making when it comes to hiring a coach. They might say "Who do you like out of this list of guys?", but in the end, they go with who the FO thinks is the best candidate, not some individual player.

Besides, Kobe only has 2 years left and while it would be awesome if they could contend for another ring over the next 2 years, they need to be thinking beyond 2 years with this coaching hire.

I'm sure that at some point, the Lakers will go to Kobe and say, "we're thinking one of this list" and Kobe will give his opinion. But in the end, the Lakers will go with who they want, not who Kobe wants.

Last edited by a moderator:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well you know the media. They love to stir the pot and create a story even if one is not there.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well you know the media. They love to stir the pot and create a story even if one is not there.

Yep and since the Clippers just "went Clippers" again, L.A. is already returning to the usual Lakers obsession.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know TJF12, I was thinking the same thing. All the hype all year long about how the Clips were the new sheriff in town and the result in the playoffs is exactly the same. Granted they have improved and Blake is really came on with Deandre Jordon and CP3 but Barnes ain't talking trash anymore and they went quietly away.

I foresee many changes since the Sterling thing was exposed. Sterling has recently mentioned he is going to fight the NBA edict. That can only mean people leaving and the Clips returning to the place they have held in LA for a long time. An after-thought basketball wise and in the forefront scandal-wise.

Perhaps some of those players are just chompin' at the bit to walk across the hall and maybe we will see a Blake or Jordon or even CP3 in a Lakers uni sooner rather than later.Then the Lakers will sign a couple of our roster from last year, add a first round pick, and Kobe may see a championship run before he calls it quits.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sterling has recently mentioned he is going to fight the NBA edict.

Well, he hired an anti-trust lawyer and said he's not paying the fine. He's not going away anytime soon.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know TJF12, I was thinking the same thing. All the hype all year long about how the Clips were the new sheriff in town and the result in the playoffs is exactly the same. Granted they have improved and Blake is really came on with Deandre Jordon and CP3 but Barnes ain't talking trash anymore and they went quietly away.

I foresee many changes since the Sterling thing was exposed. Sterling has recently mentioned he is going to fight the NBA edict. That can only mean people leaving and the Clips returning to the place they have held in LA for a long time. An after-thought basketball wise and in the forefront scandal-wise.

Perhaps some of those players are just chompin' at the bit to walk across the hall and maybe we will see a Blake or Jordon or even CP3 in a Lakers uni sooner rather than later.Then the Lakers will sign a couple of our roster from last year, add a first round pick, and Kobe may see a championship run before he calls it quits.

I've said since the beginning of the season that I don't buy the Clippers hype. Yes, they are improved. Yes, they have some talented players and a very good coach, but they always manage to Clipper things up. Never dreamed it would be because their owner is a racist, but you knew that somehow, some way, they would go Clippers again.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've said since the beginning of the season that I don't buy the Clippers hype. Yes, they are improved. Yes, they have some talented players and a very good coach, but they always manage to Clipper things up. Never dreamed it would be because their owner is a racist, but you knew that somehow, some way, they would go Clippers again.

Yep Lakersrule. Sterling is not going away because he has been sued so many times and won a boatload of suits against him, he is used to that krap.

And TJF12. Precisely. When you have that kind of dysfunction eminating from the owner, you can't hide the tinkle down effect no matter how much money you have. Sooner or later, you just know he was going to eff things up and true to form he did. I think we may have experienced a touch of that with short buss in the last several years and Kobe has mentioned the importance of great ownership and how that effects the team's championship hopes.

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Ollie played UConn to a tee and cashed in on NBA interest in him by working out an extension.:suds:

Well played, Kevin. :suds:

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Ollie played UConn to a tee and cashed in on NBA interest in him by working out an extension.:suds:

Yup. I think he eventually coaches in the NBA.

I'd lean towards B. Scott now I guess.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are selection options are dwindling. Maybe they should start looking on the staffs of Popovich, and Thibodeau. Perhaps they can find a gem there.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

An NBA team could easily pay him more. That's good cash for a college coach but par for the course in the NBA. Most make more. Hell, look what Kerr got. This deal won't stop NBA teams from going after him if that's who they really want