• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kobe back from Europe to assist Lakers Carmelo Anthony pitch

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,978.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Los Angeles Lakers superstar guard Kobe Bryant flew in late Wednesday night from a European vacation so he could attend and play a key part in the team's pitch to free-agent forward Carmelo Anthony on Thursday, sources with knowledge of the situation said.

Bryant has a long history and friendship with Anthony and has been courting him for some time but felt it was important to be there when the Lakers made their pitch to him at an undisclosed location in Los Angeles.

The Lakers have made Anthony and fellow superstar free agent LeBron James the main focus of their offseason, going so far as to hold off hiring a coach and signing other free agents until they could make their pitches to the two players.

While they have called Rich Paul, James' agent, and were hoping to meet with him soon, sources maintain James and Paul have yet to grant formal meetings to any teams.

Anthony is far from a consolation prize, however. Sources indicate the Lakers are enamored with his game and believe he would complement Bryant well. The Lakers hope to pair the two wings with center Pau Gasol, whom they met with on the first day of free agency.

ESPN reported Wednesday night that the Oklahoma City Thunder duo of Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook made a strong case to the Spaniard, with the Thunder emerging as a surprising front-runner, despite their financial limitations. The Chicago Bulls are scheduled to meet with Gasol on Thursday in Los Angeles.

Source: ESPN LA

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even though the media has us as the long shots to land Melo - I have kinda felt otherwise. If we land Melo, I think Pau will re-sign.

Melo wants money. We can offer.
Melo wants to play in a big city. Umm LA.
Melo wants to contend. Kobe, Melo, Randle, and Pau. Those 4 alone could sneeze their way into the playoffs even in the West. Add a couple more role pieces and we are contending.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even though the media has us as the long shots to land Melo - I have kinda felt otherwise. If we land Melo, I think Pau will re-sign.

Melo wants to contend. Kobe, Melo, Randle, and Pau. Those 4 alone could sneeze their way into the playoffs even in the West. Add a couple more role pieces and we are contending.

The one thing that makes me think that you could be correct, is Kobe flying back from Greece to be part of the meeting. I don't think he would do that if he didn't feel that it could make a difference in landing 'Melo.

I still put the Lakers chances at less than 50%, but that's higher than I would have it if Kobe didn't fly back. It's also said that Jeanie will be part of the meeting as well, which can only help.

So far, the Lakers seem much more invested in landing 'Melo than they were in retaining Dwight.

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember before season started kobe in some sort of interview said there was some behind the scenes talk going on but couldn't say because of tampering. basically insinuating he knew of a big name that would sign with lakers in summer but couldn't disclose. could that be Carmelo?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember before season started kobe in some sort of interview said there was some behind the scenes talk going on but couldn't say because of tampering. basically insinuating he knew of a big name that would sign with lakers in summer but couldn't disclose. could that be Carmelo?

Forgot about that. At the time, I wrote it off to Kobe being Kobe and basically just messing with the media. But maybe he really did at least have a good idea about something.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see Houston being a viable option. Especially not with Harden and Dwight on the team. Would Melo be content with only 10/15 shots a game, for a smaller contract than the Lakers could offer?

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kobe should send his helicopter to the airport to pick up Melo.

Helicopter > Limo

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pair that with an interview a few years ago, where I remember Kobe saying Melo is "like a brother to me."

So, assuming Dallas and Houston are out (which I think is a good assumption), you have Rose who quit on his team and has recently made statements to the point that he didn't care if Melo joined the Bulls or not. Or you have "your brother from another mother" who has just flown back from Greece to meet with you. And then you have LA or Chicago.

I think its down to New York or us.

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,978.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

before we start writing the Lakers in the finals lets see how they play together. u see what happened to the big 3. they won but they didnt win as often as they thought they would

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
before we start writing the Lakers in the finals lets see how they play together. u see what happened to the big 3. they won but they didnt win as often as they thought they would

A lot of people though Kobe, Dwight, Gasol and Nash would win multiple titles and look what happened there. The difference is this time (if it does happen), the chemistry should be a LOT better.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh, I agree. I'm not making any such claim. Right now we are dying for 1 or 2 good free agents and a coach. That's all.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,146.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Melo moved up the meeting time and Kobe wasn't expected to be there in time.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,146.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pair that with an interview a few years ago, where I remember Kobe saying Melo is "like a brother to me."

So, assuming Dallas and Houston are out (which I think is a good assumption), you have Rose who quit on his team and has recently made statements to the point that he didn't care if Melo joined the Bulls or not. Or you have "your brother from another mother" who has just flown back from Greece to meet with you. And then you have LA or Chicago.

I think its down to New York or us.

I think it's NY and if he decides to leave....it's the Lakers.

So...........

:agree:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True, but IF 'Melo came to the Lakers and all they got out of it was the same level of success that the Heat just had, I'd happily take it. :lol:

trojanfight

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word is kind didn't make meeting in time but expected to meet with melo later today. Knicks also to meet with him later today. But looks good if he's having a meeting with kobe after 2.5 hours with lakers prior to that

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word is kind didn't make meeting in time but expected to meet with melo later today. Knicks also to meet with him later today. But looks good if he's having a meeting with kobe after 2.5 hours with lakers prior to that

He will meet with Melo after the Knicks meet with him. I'm pretty sure, they are going to hang out for the night.

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Melo signs with the Lakers he could well become a liability once Kobe retires in a couple of years. The Lakers need more than Kobe playing two more years for Melo to move to the Lakers.

I've got to give the advantage to the Knicks. Not signing Melo may turn out to be a blessing in disguise any way.

Inimical

Sports Hooplah Local Reporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a big melo fan i must say, also not a big jello fan, with that being said if they can add a bunch of efficient guys behind that it would be a pretty good team. The games tehy both are hot they would be blowouts, the games they are not, meh, when theres a kobe theres a way.