• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lakers plan to court Kevin Ollie and John Calipari

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,914.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Los Angeles Lakers plan a drawn-out and exhaustive search for Mike D'Antoni's successor as coach, but sources close to the process insist the team hopes to "make a splash" with its eventual hire.

To that end, sources say, Lakers officials intend to reach out to two of the biggest names in the college game -- UConn's Kevin Ollie and Kentucky's John Calipari -- to at least gauge their interest in the job.

The Lakers also plan to reach out to the Chicago Bulls for permission to interview coach Tom Thibodeau, a source told ESPNLosAngeles.com's Dave McMenamin. The Lakers are closely monitoring the playoffs, believing that several viable candidates could become available should their respective teams be eliminated.

Source: ESPN LA

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep I saw that Thibodeau reference. This could get very interesting for players like Kobe, Nash, and Pau if Thibs is hired. No more bullshit. That'll be the case for sure.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot good young coaches being named, I wonder what short Buss & Mitch's plans are. :think:

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think they'll have trouble finding interested candidates. There will be lots of interviews. This is still a premiere coaching position in the NBA.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't mind Thibs at all. Proven coach, still plenty of fire left in the tank, and would be a really nice fit for what we need. Don't think we'll get him, but I think Laker nation would support that hire right away.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In an attempt to retain Ollie, UConn has offered Ollie a doubling of his salary.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't mind Thibs at all. Proven coach, still plenty of fire left in the tank, and would be a really nice fit for what we need. Don't think we'll get him, but I think Laker nation would support that hire right away.

one thing you KNOW the guy'll preach like it's going outta style. DEFENSE...!!!

as for landing him, guess we'll know soon enough. guessing they'll want to get someone hired BEFORE the off-season starts for all of the NBA...

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In an attempt to retain Ollie, UConn has offered Ollie a doubling of his salary.

Perfect timing for Ollie. He can leverage the Lakers' interest in him to sweeten the pot with UConn.

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
one thing you KNOW the guy'll preach like it's going outta style. DEFENSE...!!!

as for landing him, guess we'll know soon enough. guessing they'll want to get someone hired BEFORE the off-season starts for all of the NBA...

I believe the Lakers will wait until after the Playoffs are over. I've read that Doc Rivers is leaving the Clippers. I have to imagine the Lakers would be interested in talking to him.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe the Lakers will wait until after the Playoffs are over. I've read that Doc Rivers is leaving the Clippers. I have to imagine the Lakers would be interested in talking to him.

:scratch:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea Silas. That is one of the scenarios that is gaining traction. Imagine that. Celtics boy who demanded the Lakers banners to be covered when the Clip Joint plays would become the HC of the Lakers. There is no loyalty anymore except maybe when the Clip Joint plays the Warriors.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll see about Doc. His possibly leaving the Clippers was tied to Stern's comments. My guess is that with the lifetime ban in place, Doc will stay with the Clippers.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lakers are looking to see, who might get fired after the playoffs. I believe this will be a slow process, and it should be, no need to rush in hiring a head coach. We just need to make sure it's a good one.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ollie still hasn't signed a bigger contract at UConn. They can't afford to pay him as much as the Lakers. Ollie would owe UConn a couple mil if he did leave. I think this could a visionary type hire for Jimmy much like his father with Riley a few decades ago (West should get credit for Riley too).

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll see about Doc. His possibly leaving the Clippers was tied to Stern's comments. My guess is that with the lifetime ban in place, Doc will stay with the Clippers.

I can see it still being a little murky if Shelly Sterling somehow hangs onto her 50% ownership. Coaches/players could be hesitant to go there if the Sterling name is still associated.

Steelboy84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldnt mind having Thib.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see it still being a little murky if Shelly Sterling somehow hangs onto her 50% ownership. Coaches/players could be hesitant to go there if the Sterling name is still associated.

The problem is going to be that the league and players apparently want this all settled before next season and it just doesn't seem possible. Shelly Sterling has already made it pretty clear that she intends to keep her 50% of the team. She has a pretty good case because Donald's comments have nothing to do with her and Silver stated that the NBA's intent was to go after Donald only.

It also seems unlikely that Donald will give up his half without a fight. Unless both Sterling's can somehow be convinced to sell without putting up a fight (which seems highly unlikely right now), I expect this could take years to sort out.

End of the day, once the Clippers are eliminated from the playoffs, this thing will move to the back burner. Once the season is over, everyone will likely calm down and realize that the ultimate goal of getting Sterling the hell away from the league and team has been accomplished. People will also realize that the Clippers money is just as green and spends just as well as any other teams.

You'll have a couple of Clippers who may demand to be traded and/or a couple of FA's who won't re-sign or won't choose the Clippers to make a point. But, in the end, it's still getting paid a few million dollars to play basketball, regardless of where the money comes from.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fight to keep the team involves both Shirley and Donald. Shirley has already vowed to keep her half as has been mentioned and Donald is now stating privately that he is going to fight the NBA because he believes he has a winnable case and he is seeking a law firm to help achieve that end.

I think this is going to be a protracted fight and I see Donald winning it because I believe he has a case as well. In either case, the Clips are not going to be sold anytime soon and some of the players and the NBA are going to end up looking like a collective set of baffoons.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fight to keep the team involves both Shirley and Donald. Shirley has already vowed to keep her half as has been mentioned and Donald is now stating privately that he is going to fight the NBA because he believes he has a winnable case and he is seeking a law firm to help achieve that end.

I think this is going to be a protracted fight and I see Donald winning it because I believe he has a case as well. In either case, the Clips are not going to be sold anytime soon and some of the players and the NBA are going to end up looking like a collective set of baffoons.

Why are you defending this racist ass hole? What the fuck kind of case does he have?

Last edited by a moderator: