• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Labor Day weekend finds the Rangers in Anaheim: TEX v LAA 9/3-5

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plan A
Trevor Story SS
Plan B
Carlos Correra SS
Plan C
Corey Seager SS or
Marcus Seimen SS

Plan A1
Noah Syndergaard RHP

Plan A2
Mark Canha 1B/OF

Reactions: DTC

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not sure who will be in the rotation next season could be any of them. and as far as a FA starter unless he is a quality top of the rotation it would be a waste of money. Noah Syndergaard comes to mind
Stroman might be too expensive. Scherzer, verlander, Greinke and Kershaw aren’t coming to a rebuilding team, guys like Robbie Ray, Kevin Gausman and Desclafani seem too inconsistent.. almost like they gave it everything they had to get a good contract and will underperform right after they sign. Gray doesn’t seem quite as special as I once thought after looking closer at his numbers. Otto/Hearn/Dunning might actually outperform him next year.
I like Syndergaard but would be nervous it would be a 1 year $17 million deal where he gets injured early on and never pitches for us again or he does well but it was just a 1 year deal and it doesn’t matter because we aren’t quite there next year but maybe 2023.

I wouldn’t mind a guy like Alex Wood, Danny Duffy, Steven Matz or James Paxton

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stroman might be too expensive. Scherzer, verlander, Greinke and Kershaw aren’t coming to a rebuilding team, guys like Robbie Ray, Kevin Gausman and Desclafani seem too inconsistent.. almost like they gave it everything they had to get a good contract and will underperform right after they sign. Gray doesn’t seem quite as special as I once thought after looking closer at his numbers. Otto/Hearn/Dunning might actually outperform him next year.
I like Syndergaard but would be nervous it would be a 1 year $17 million deal where he gets injured early on and never pitches for us again or he does well but it was just a 1 year deal and it doesn’t matter because we aren’t quite there next year but maybe 2023.

I wouldn’t mind a guy like Alex Wood, Danny Duffy, Steven Matz or James Paxton
not crazy about any of the first group because age, consistency etc. i like Syndergaard because of what he can bring and his age, but not on a 1 year deal that wouldn't get him to the table when other teams will be offering 3 to 5 year deals to start

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we could get Story for around $25mil a year, Chris Taylor for $14 mil a year, Canha or Schwarber for about $10-12 mil a year and a decent pitcher for $10-14 mil a year I would be very happy with that. Would put payroll right around $115 million which isn’t bad at all for our market or previous payrolls.
I would try to trade IKF, Trevino and X for C Wilson Contreras of the Cubs and extend him starting in 2023 when Odor and Andrus money falls off the books.
I would let Yonny, Ibanez and Solak rotate through 2B, 3B and sometimes DH
I would keep Calhoun at DH and sometimes LF.
I like Yonny leading off If Taveras isn’t playing.
He has good OBP and good speed.

Taveras CF or Yonny 3B
Chris Taylor in the 2 Hole 3B or CF
Story 3 spot SS
Canha/Schwarber cleanup LF
Lowe 5th 1B
Adolis 6 RF
Wilson Contreras 7th C
Solak 8th 2B
Ibanez/Calhoun 9th DH

Jung could come up and go straight to 3B in June if he’s performing well and whoever isn’t playing well (Solak, Ibanez, Taveras, Calhoun, Yonny ) can be replaced by Chris Taylor on the position side. If another player isn’t playing well come June then hopefully one of the guys (Foscue, Crimm, Davis, Pozo, Huff) down on the farm is playing well and can come up.
That’s likely to happen.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we could get Story for around $25mil a year, Chris Taylor for $14 mil a year, Canha or Schwarber for about $10-12 mil a year and a decent pitcher for $10-14 mil a year I would be very happy with that. Would put payroll right around $115 million which isn’t bad at all for our market or previous payrolls.
I would try to trade IKF, Trevino and X for C Wilson Contreras of the Cubs and extend him starting in 2023 when Odor and Andrus money falls off the books.
I would let Yonny, Ibanez and Solak rotate through 2B, 3B and DH
I would keep Calhoun at DH and sometimes LF.
I like Yonny leading off If Taveras isn’t playing.
He has good OBP and good speed.

Taveras CF or Yonny 3B
Chris Taylor in the 2 Hole 3B or CF
Story 3 spot SS
Canha/Schwarber cleanup LF
Lowe 5th 1B
Adolis 6 RF
Wilson Contreras 7th C
Solak 8th 2B
Ibanez/Calhoun 9th DH

Jung could come up and go straight to 3B in June if he’s performing well and whoever isn’t playing well (Solak, Ibanez, Taveras, Calhoun, Yonny ) can be replaced by Chris Taylor on the position side. If another player isn’t playing well come June then hopefully one of the guys (Foscue, Crimm, Davis, Pozo, Huff) down on the farm is playing well and can come up.
That’s likely to happen.
can't see us signing that many FA's plus Taylor would resign with the Dodgers for less and Schwarber has an 11M mutual option year with the Red Sox. and i can't see any "decent" starters that would sign for 10-14M. and Contreras i would pass on that trade if it ends up blocking Huff

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
can't see us signing that many FA's plus Taylor would resign with the Dodgers for less and Schwarber has an 11M mutual option year with the Red Sox. and i can't see any "decent" starters that would sign for 10-14M. and Contreras i would pass on that trade if it ends up blocking Huff
Schwarber would be dumb to not decline the option. He has a .940 OPS and can very likely get a 3 year $36 million deal.

Taylor probably wants to stay with the Dodgers which is why I think the Rangers might have to offer more than the Dodgers hence the over pay

Mike Minor, Lance Lynn and Kyle Gibson were all under $14 million a year.
Alex Wood, Danny Duffy, Steven Matz or James Paxton should be had for less than $14 million a year and I believe they’re all decent.

Contreras wouldn’t block Huff.
Huff still has to prove he can hit consistently at AA, he’s tall and probably not going to be an everyday catcher. Maybe catch 40 games a year as Contreras Back up, DH and Play 1B. With his arm strength and decent speed he might even be able to be deployed in LF or RF.
If he hits they will find room for him

I also don’t see how 4 free agents would be too many to sign when the front office says they’re going to be very active this off-season.

4 seems pretty avg considering the holes we have and the amount of room on our budget

Last edited:

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schwarber would be dumb to not decline the option. He has a .940 OPS and can very likely get a 3 year $36 million deal.

Taylor probably wants to stay with the Dodgers which is why I think the Rangers might have to offer more than the Dodgers hence the over pay

Mike Minor, Lance Lynn and Kyle Gibson were all under $14 million a year.
Alex Wood, Danny Duffy, Steven Matz or James Paxton should be had for less than $14 million a year and I believe they’re all decent.

Contreras wouldn’t block Huff.
Huff still has to prove he can hit consistently at AA, he’s tall and probably not going to be an everyday catcher. Maybe catch 40 games a year as Contreras Back up, DH and Play 1B. With his arm strength and decent speed he might even be able to be deployed in LF or RF.
If he hits they will find room for him

I also don’t see how 4 free agents would be too many to sign when the front office says they’re going to be very active this off-season.

4 seems pretty avg considering the holes we have and the amount of room on our budget
Well I personally wouldn’t want Wood, Matz, Duffy or Paxton on this team

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Dunning, Otto and Hearn stay in the rotation. I think Allard and Alexy end up in the bullpen. Cole Winn should be coming up soon.
We need to grab 1 good SP off the FA market.
We do have plenty of depth to take over for Hearn, Otto, and Dunning if one doesn’t work out but we need to add an ACE
I have a higher expectation for Alexy than any of the rest.

It would be really early to put Alexy in the pen in 2022.

I think the ace will be added via a July trade when the rest of the team looks ready to seriously contend.

One thing I might add, when I mention seriously contending, I mean having a legitimate shot at going to the WS. It is a lot more than contending for a WC slot.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Story, Gomes, Taylor and Syndergaard and I'm happy

If not story, then semien

No to Seager and Correa, they're made of glass

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I personally wouldn’t want Wood, Matz, Duffy or Paxton on this team
I wouldn’t want all of them but I’m sure the Rangers scouting, medical and analytics dept could find the best match for us and narrow it down to 1 or 2 to really focus on and get ONE.
I don’t think anyone was too thrilled at first when we signed Gibson, Lynn or Minor but they saw something in them and they all worked out fairly well.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think 2022 will be another rebuilding year. We will have a significantly improved team, but I don't think we will have 3 or 4 free agents come in on short to medium length contracts, taking spots from young guys. I think if we sign guys it will be with the final picture in mind. In other words, they will be seen as fits on a WS team. I don't think we will sign guys just to help us contend for a WC in 2022. At least, I sure hope they keep the big picture in mind.

I think we will be significantly better because some of the young guys will be better and some good prospects will be able to contribute as well. I also think there is a good chance that a great free agent and a really good free agent will sign with us this winter. Those are the things that will make us a better team in 2022, even while we are still rebuilding.

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a higher expectation for Alexy than any of the rest.

It would be really early to put Alexy in the pen in 2022.

I think the ace will be added via a July trade when the rest of the team looks ready to seriously contend.

One thing I might add, when I mention seriously contending, I mean having a legitimate shot at going to the WS. It is a lot more than contending for a WC slot.
I like Alexy, I just feel his command and lack of a 3rd and 4th pitch will land him in the pen.
He would do great outta the pen throwing 95+ with a curveball to keep hitters off balance.
Getting deep into games with walks and long ABs might be hard. 2nd and 3rd time through the line up will be hard with only a fastball and curveball.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn’t want all of them but I’m sure the Rangers scouting, medical and analytics dept could find the best match for us and narrow it down to 1 or 2 to really focus on and get ONE.
I don’t think anyone was too thrilled at first when we signed Gibson, Lynn or Minor but they saw something in them and they all worked out fairly well.
I hope we avoid all of them.

• You're Funny

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Alexy, I just feel his command and lack of a 3rd and 4th pitch will land him in the pen.
He would do great outta the pen throwing 95+ with a curveball to keep hitters off balance.
Getting deep into games with walks and long ABs might be hard. 2nd and 3rd time through the line up will be hard with only a fastball and curveball.
Scott Lucas' commentary on Alexy seems to say he has more than 2 pitches.

"He's successfully incorporated a slider while retaining his curve, and the changeup is a real pitch, not a tag-along. He's shifted the use of his curve from late/ahead counts to early strike-catchers, although he can also generate misses with it. All these back up what has always been a solid fastball."

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand what you are saying but I just feel that if we’re going to sign any FA’s this off-season they need to be more than maybes and that we are looking for the best. If we’re going to sign FA starter we need someone who would be a #1 for Dunning, Allard. Hearn and our other possible starters who look to for leadership and all the other intangibles that comes with being the #1. Matz, Duffy and the other 2 can’t and won’t bring that to the team

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"He's successfully incorporated a slider while retaining his curve, and the changeup is a real pitch, not a tag-along. He's shifted the use of his curve from late/ahead counts to early strike-catchers, although he can also generate misses with it. All these back up what has always been a solid fastball."
I hope you’re right!
I want him to succeed as a starter.
Just have to keep that command in order and continue working on that slider/change up

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He needs to work on his changeup, but then again, so do most kids his age

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I knew I read this somewhere

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He needs to work on his changeup, but then again, so do most kids his age
You know, you’re right. He’s only 23. Scherzer and Kershaw also had control issues their first 2 years. Both worked on it and got better each year and were dominant by year 2. I hope y’all are right and he ends up being a solid SP to help Us turn around

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My stance on free agency, is that most them are free agents for a reason and there's a reason most haven't been extended at this point, most of these guys have serious warts and not worth what they think they're worth... Story and Semien might be the exceptions...Colorado is a dumpster fire and Oakland is Oakland, hence Semien now being in Toronto and FA at 30, he should've been extended years ago

I'm not trying to give a 28 year old an 8 year contract, its bad business usually