• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Labor Day weekend finds the Rangers in Anaheim: TEX v LAA 9/3-5

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why can’t we be like the Astros when we’re good? Seems like the Astros window has been wide open for 10 years.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there a chance other teams learn from the Lindor deal like they learned from the Teixeira trade and a few others? Could his deal become somewhat of an outlier?

It possibly could, and most definitely should. It could very well turn out that no one ends up getting what Lindor got. But I do think that everyone is going to get more than they otherwise would have thanks to that contract. Lindor playing like absolute shit certainly has helped.

Why can’t we be like the Astros when we’re good? Seems like the Astros window has been wide open for 10 years.

It hasn't been open close to that long.

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It possibly could, and most definitely should. It could very well turn out that no one ends up getting what Lindor got. But I do think that everyone is going to get more than they otherwise would have thanks to that contract. Lindor playing like absolute shit certainly has helped.

It hasn't been open close to that long.
I feel like that contract hurts other players, it shows the risk with deals like that. Seeing Lindor’s contract and his subpar play make me not want to sign anyone to a long term deal lol

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like that contract hurts other players, it shows the risk with deals like that. Seeing Lindor’s contract and his subpar play make me not want to sign anyone to a long term deal lol

I get that the Mets had a new owner and he wanted to make a splash, but he really screwed up.

Reactions: DTC

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that the Mets had a new owner and he wanted to make a splash, but he really screwed up.
And then the Rendon contract every body thought we should have gotten in on. Do not like these long contracts but too late now. They are here to stay.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of a vague, poorly worded statement from JD, but I do like hearing the parts about players being the best fit overall. There are many things to take into account.
It sounds normal for JD. It’s basically the same thing he has said for years where he has made low-ball offers and misses out on his purported targets

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And then the Rendon contract every body thought we should have gotten in on. Do not like these long contracts but too late now. They are here to stay.

As they say, the horse is out of the barn.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will admit I was strong about signing Rendon. Glad we missed on that one but it is the age of the long contracts for the top players and we can’t avoid them so it is important that the quality of those we sign are the best. Unfortunately I don’t have any faith in JD to get those. His end-of-free agency speeches always seem to be the same “well we missed on our target but we have signed players we think fit our team factors” and they are for the most part barely adequate

hopefully Chris has more say

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will admit I was strong about signing Rendon. Glad we missed on that one but it is the age of the long contracts for the top players and we can’t avoid them so it is important that the quality of those we sign are the best. Unfortunately I don’t have any faith in JD to get those. His end-of-free agency speeches always seem to be the same “well we missed on our target but we have signed players we think fit our team factors” and they are for the most part barely adequate

hopefully Chris has more say

Personally I think JD knew Rendon would be a bad signing and offered him something he knew he'd never take.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I think JD knew Rendon would be a bad signing and offered him something he knew he'd never take.
I hope he didn't do that. That would be a slap in the face to the player and the agent. He might need to deal with that agent again. It would also be a slap in the face to the fans.

I think he mistook how serious the other party was about getting a deal done and about how little they would think of his offer. I remember from his comments thinking that he seemed shocked that the negotiations didn't proceed further. I hope he learned a lesson.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only reason I am glad that we didn't sign Rendon is because Covid delayed our rebuild process. It was really close to being too early to sign someone like him to begin with. One more year of delay would have really made it a bad outcome.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope he didn't do that. That would be a slap in the face to the player and the agent. He might need to deal with that agent again. It would also be a slap in the face to the fans.

I think he mistook how serious the other party was about getting a deal done and about how little they would think of his offer. I remember from his comments thinking that he seemed shocked that the negotiations didn't proceed further. I hope he learned a lesson.
Boras stopped at DFW and notified JD that if he was serious about Rendon he would wait for a call. Boras said he waited a couple of hours realized JD wasn’t going to call and flew out

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only reason I am glad that we didn't sign Rendon is because Covid delayed our rebuild process. It was really close to being too early to sign someone like him to begin with. One more year of delay would have really made it a bad outcome.
I may be wrong but wasn’t the Rendon fiasco in November and December of 2019 and the COVID didn’t reach here until January in 2020. I don’t think we had yet fathomed how serious it was when we “attempted” to sign him. The Angels signed him to a 7-year $245M deal and several other teams had offered him 6 or 7 years for around 32-35M AAV. Not sure of the exact numbers the Rangers offered but supposedly it was either a 2-year 60-62M deal or they were willing to add a team option 3rd year at 34M.

Last edited:

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Boras stopped at DFW and notified JD that if he was serious about Rendon he would wait for a call. Boras said he waited a couple of hours realized JD wasn’t going to call and flew out

Couple things here:

Neither JD or Boras is going to publicly paint an accurate picture of how things actually went down. I'm sure there's some truth in both stories but we'll never know. JD has what he's trying to accomplish and so does Boras. Obviously everyone should take whatever they say with a grain of salt. Between the two, I'm inclined to trust JD more than Boras. Boras got an incredible deal for Rendon, so he did his job. JD wasn't the one giving the deal, so he also did his job.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couple things here:

Neither JD or Boras is going to publicly paint an accurate picture of how things actually went down. I'm sure there's some truth in both stories but we'll never know. JD has what he's trying to accomplish and so does Boras. Obviously everyone should take whatever they say with a grain of salt. Between the two, I'm inclined to trust JD more than Boras. Boras got an incredible deal for Rendon, so he did his job. JD wasn't the one giving the deal, so he also did his job.
I agree but it was pretty much public knowledge that there 3 teams that were seriously in on bidding for Rendon and that it was also apparent that although Texas was listed as the 4th team we weren’t even in the ballpark as far as our offer was concerned with the other 3. Rendon and Boras had publicly stated that they were looking for a minimum of 6-7 years and JD supposedly offered 2-3

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree but it was pretty much public knowledge that there 3 teams that were seriously in on bidding for Rendon and that it was also apparent that although Texas was listed as the 4th team we weren’t even in the ballpark as far as our offer was concerned with the other 3. Rendon and Boras had publicly stated that they were looking for a minimum of 6-7 years and JD supposedly offered 2-3

I heard it was a 5 year deal, haven't heard the 2-3 thing