• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

La Canfora: Deal for Alex Smith "effectively complete"

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
JLC:

The 49ers have expressed to others that a deal for QB Alex Smith is effectively complete. Can't be finalized til league year begins 3/12

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Presumably with KC?

Seems to make the most sense. I'd imagine there will be a good bit of speculation in the days to come.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't understand telling other teams though. If you have a trade your happy with in place, then take the next 2.5 weeks to see if you can get something better.

Why just shut it down now?

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand telling other teams though. If you have a trade your happy with in place, then take the next 2.5 weeks to see if you can get something better.

Because you could lose the deal that is on the table is my only guess.

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

Maybe saying it's almost a done deal leads someone else to desperation?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What the pick is wasn't released, so other teams wouldn't know what it was and would have to bid in to override. But without knowing, do they overpay?

My thinking is they wouldn't announce, we got a bidder when they are trying to tell other teams from the start that he's coveted. This may make a team panic?

Maybe the deal was conditional? Maybe it was for more than either side thought was market and if the Niners didn't announce it, it would be withdrawn?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Because you could lose the deal that is on the table is my only guess.

That's all I can come with too, but then doesn't is imply the other team is doing us a favour? If they want Smith, they'll still make the trade, I assume, if we don't find a better offer.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe saying it's almost a done deal leads someone else to desperation?

Ahh, nice counter point, Smalls - that could be as well.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
PLEASE JETS OR VIKINGS. Smith deserves this kind of punishment!!

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What the pick is wasn't released, so other teams wouldn't know what it was and would have to bid in to override. But without knowing, do they overpay?

My thinking is they wouldn't announce, we got a bidder when they are trying to tell other teams from the start that he's coveted. This may make a team panic?

Maybe the deal was conditional? Maybe it was for more than either side thought was market and if the Niners didn't announce it, it would be withdrawn?

I'm not saying they have to announce who the trade is with, or what it's for. Don't announce a deal is in place. Keep talking to other teams, and take the best available deal when the trade season opens.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe we have two offers and KC wants Foles, so by not announcing what team, Foles suddenly becomes "available"?

I don't know, just throwing it out there.

But this is only from KC's perspective, don't know our incentive, besides just telling teams to fork up if they want to change our mind.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying they have to announce who the trade is with, or what it's for. Don't announce a deal is in place. Keep talking to other teams, and take the best available deal when the trade season opens.

I got it. I was just saying that if the deal was for a 6th, other teams don't know that, so they might come in at a second, because they assumed the deal was 4th?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I got it. I was just saying that if the deal was for a 6th, other teams don't know that, so they might come in at a second, because they assumed the deal was 4th?

But according to La Canfora we're telling teams the deal is done and don't bother asking.

I'm still waiting for some confirmation from another source other than La Canfora.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm gonna go ahead and predict the 1st overall pick in the draft. Alex was a former 1st overall so that's the only fair trade....right?

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's all I can come with too, but then doesn't is imply the other team is doing us a favour? If they want Smith, they'll still make the trade, I assume, if we don't find a better offer.

As long as something else better didn't come along for them as well, and therein lies the risk. If there were a bidding war for Alex then your point is probably put into practice.

My guess is there are not a lot of suitors for Alex and this could be a take it or leave it offer. All speculation of course.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

They could have already done the "can you beat this offer" with all of the potential trade partners, that's how I assume trade talks like this work. Rest assured they're not dummies, and are getting the best deal they think they can get.