• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kyrie, a Free & Despised Man.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Kyrie thinks he is way smarter than he is.

This is a guy who did one semester at Duke and probably never attended classes.

He thinks he is like this grand philosopher and deep thinker. When you are treated with kid-gloves your entire life and never said no to, this can happen.

And he has handled his NBA career has just been bizarre. He breaks up the Cavs- threatens to sit out and have surgery- gets dealt, rips on Cleveland where he won a title and had the greatest moments of his career. Goes to Boston- underachieves- leaves them high and dry- and then teams up with Durant. Which is fine if not for the fact that he said he wanted to leave LeBron to go to a team of his own.

and then he goes to play with Durant?

Kyrie is just so contradictory and odd in everything he does. Real weirdo.

but damn- he can finish at the rim and handle the ball as good as anyone I have seen. His finishes at the rim were just crazy- and he is clutch as they come.

its a shame he couldnt just play the sport. He is so fun to watch.

They say that Genius is next to insanity. Kyrie has definitely got the insanity part down. lol

You are right though, when he plays, he is fun to watch.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyrie is a folk hero... not unlike Paul Bunyan.

Or Che Guevara.

Kyrie's a very selfish person that put himself ahead of his teammates and the Nets organization. He's no folk hero.

And keep in mind this is the same fella that last season said he needed some me time away from the team to clear his head. So he went out clubbing violating league protocols and missed even more games.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyrie's a very selfish person that put himself ahead of his teammates and the Nets organization. He's no folk hero.

And keep in mind this is the same fella that last season said he needed some me time away from the team to clear his head. So he went out clubbing violating league protocols and missed even more games.
Still, I bet a T-shirt featuring Kyrie staring off into the distance while sporting a bouree would make millions of dollars.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still, I bet a T-shirt featuring Kyrie staring off into the distance while sporting a bouree would make millions of dollars.

No it wouldn't. But a Kyrie Flat Earther t-shirt might make a couple of bucks.

Bottom line is you think a selfish me-first player is some kinda folk hero. Funny stuff.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indeed.

Merry Christmas, Wamu. Have a mug of egg nog or something. :D :suds:

Kyrie said yesterday that Santa will spread the virus all over the world. :heh:

And Merry Christmas Gman. Hope you & yours have a great holiday weekend.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are people in this world that thrive when they get attention. There are others who falter completelywhen they get attention.

Kyrie's problem is that he fails to understand that no single person gets all of everyone's attention 24/7.

His attention meter is sensing that everyone's attention is turning elsewhere and for some reason, his brain has somehow determined that the lack of attention is resentment. There are fourteen other people that he works with who are now looking at him with questionable faces and he's interpreting those faces as resentment. Kyrie is reverting to the Kyrie of the Kyrie Cleveland era.

What's the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over and over again and expecting a different result each time it's done.

Batman

Hoopla Cash
$ 980.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My bolds.

When Muhammad Ali died in 2016, there was such a huge outpouring of love for him, it is hard to believe that the sports legend was once hated. But that is indeed the case, starting from his fight with Sonny Liston in 1964, when sportswriters didn't like the fighter, then known as Cassius Clay. Then the brash boxer with the big mouth beat Liston and proclaimed he was "The Greatest." The next day, Clay gave a press conference with Malcolm X and made public his connections with the Nation of Islam. Ali referred to his name Cassius Clay as his "slave name," asking to be called Cassius X. Elijah Muhammed then gave him the Muhammad Ali name on March 6, and reporters refused to call him by it.

Then on March 9, 1966, his military status was changed to 1A, which made him eligible for the draft. He said, "I ain't got no quarrel with them Vietcong." On April 28, 1967, after he received a draft notice, he showed up at a military induction center in Houston and refused to be inducted and take the oath, citing his Black Muslim religion.

Reaction was swift. Not only did Ali get arrested for draft evasion—he was convicted that June and appealed—but New York and the rest of the states that allowed boxing stripped him of his boxing license. Ali missed three prime years of his career until 1970, when he finally got to box again against Jerry Quarry after Atlanta restored his boxing license.

The next year, not only did Ali face Joe Frazier in the fight of the century, but he won his case against the federal government over his draft evasion conviction. Yet many Americans chose to root for Frazier over Ali, leading Ali to cynically remark, "Any black person who's for Joe Frazier is a traitor. The only people rooting for Joe Frazier are white people in suits, Alabama sheriffs and members of the Ku Klux Klan. I'm fighting for the little man in the ghetto." Harsh.

So what turned it around for Ali and made him a beloved international icon? A combination of things. As the Vietnam War went on and finally ended, his stance looked more courageous, and what once seemed like self-aggrandizing behavior looked downright noble, due in part to the real-life consequences Ali suffered. And as time went on, people could look more at Ali as a great boxer, especially after he showed heavyweight championship dominance again. But the biggest reason might be him getting Parkinson Disease, and the classy way he conducted himself. As one writer put it,
Ali "transformed himself into a living monument to the global struggle for tolerance and dignity."

Right or wrong, Ali's refusal to go to Vietnam cost him tons of money and fan goodwill.
It nearly cost him his freedom.
All it cost boxing fans was the opportunity to watch a few fights.

Right or wrong, Kyrie's refusal to get jabbed is costing him tons of money and fan goodwill.
All it is costing NBA fans is the opportunity to watch a little better basketball
Which is really the selfish side here?

The refusal to go along with the prevailing opinion of the day is often recognized decades later as courage and conviction.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My bolds.

When Muhammad Ali died in 2016, there was such a huge outpouring of love for him, it is hard to believe that the sports legend was once hated. But that is indeed the case, starting from his fight with Sonny Liston in 1964, when sportswriters didn't like the fighter, then known as Cassius Clay. Then the brash boxer with the big mouth beat Liston and proclaimed he was "The Greatest." The next day, Clay gave a press conference with Malcolm X and made public his connections with the Nation of Islam. Ali referred to his name Cassius Clay as his "slave name," asking to be called Cassius X. Elijah Muhammed then gave him the Muhammad Ali name on March 6, and reporters refused to call him by it.

Then on March 9, 1966, his military status was changed to 1A, which made him eligible for the draft. He said, "I ain't got no quarrel with them Vietcong." On April 28, 1967, after he received a draft notice, he showed up at a military induction center in Houston and refused to be inducted and take the oath, citing his Black Muslim religion.

Reaction was swift. Not only did Ali get arrested for draft evasion—he was convicted that June and appealed—but New York and the rest of the states that allowed boxing stripped him of his boxing license. Ali missed three prime years of his career until 1970, when he finally got to box again against Jerry Quarry after Atlanta restored his boxing license.

The next year, not only did Ali face Joe Frazier in the fight of the century, but he won his case against the federal government over his draft evasion conviction. Yet many Americans chose to root for Frazier over Ali, leading Ali to cynically remark, "Any black person who's for Joe Frazier is a traitor. The only people rooting for Joe Frazier are white people in suits, Alabama sheriffs and members of the Ku Klux Klan. I'm fighting for the little man in the ghetto." Harsh.

So what turned it around for Ali and made him a beloved international icon? A combination of things. As the Vietnam War went on and finally ended, his stance looked more courageous, and what once seemed like self-aggrandizing behavior looked downright noble, due in part to the real-life consequences Ali suffered. And as time went on, people could look more at Ali as a great boxer, especially after he showed heavyweight championship dominance again. But the biggest reason might be him getting Parkinson Disease, and the classy way he conducted himself. As one writer put it,
Ali "transformed himself into a living monument to the global struggle for tolerance and dignity."

Right or wrong, Ali's refusal to go to Vietnam cost him tons of money and fan goodwill.
It nearly cost him his freedom.
All it cost boxing fans was the opportunity to watch a few fights.

Right or wrong, Kyrie's refusal to get jabbed is costing him tons of money and fan goodwill.
All it is costing NBA fans is the opportunity to watch a little better basketball
Which is really the selfish side here?

The refusal to go along with the prevailing opinion of the day is often recognized decades later as courage and conviction.
LOL you keep glossing over what makes this 'argument' silly:

Ali caught shit for actually principled stances about important issues, like his religion and being anti-war. Kyrie is getting shit for not taking some fucking medicine in a deadly pandemic and influencing others not to.

Ali was the biggest boxer on Earth when that sport was still one of the biggest sports on Earth. Kyrie is what, the 25th best player in the league?

I know you can't admit it, but this whole take is retarded.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyrie is costing himself money but still making tens of millions…boo fucking who.
I could care less if I see Kyrie on the court. Just another drama queen…no thanks

Again no real comparison to Ali unless you live in fairytale land. You must be related to Kyrie if you are trying so hard to stick up for this guy. I could care less about him…like I said, either play or retire. He is still making money for being a “hero” in your book LOL. Just another clueless, selfish idiot

Batman

Hoopla Cash
$ 980.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the time, Ali's stance was not considered principled.
He was considered unserious and selfish...just like Kyrie is today.
That's why Ali was widely despised at the time.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still….no, not close
One of the more ridiculous things ever said around here, and that is saying something. Kyrie gets to be an idiot and make money still because of people like Ali.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the time, Ali's stance was not considered principled.
He was considered unserious and selfish...just like Kyrie is today.
That's why Ali was widely despised at the time.
If you're waiting for future Americans to look back on Kyrie's anti vax bullshit as a brave stance for justice, well, don't hold your breath LOL

Batman

Hoopla Cash
$ 980.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're waiting for future Americans to look back on Kyrie's anti vax bullshit as a brave stance for justice, well, don't hold your breath LOL

"Irving, speaking on Instagram Live, said he is neither pro-vaccine nor anti-vaccine..."

"...I chose to be unvaccinated, and that was my choice, and I would ask you all to just respect that choice."

I guess you are declining to respect his choice.

I choose to respect it.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Irving, speaking on Instagram Live, said he is neither pro-vaccine nor anti-vaccine..."

"...I chose to be unvaccinated, and that was my choice, and I would ask you all to just respect that choice."

I choose to respect it.
But that's not what we're discussing. You can respect or not respect Kyrie, whatever works for you. The topic is comparing Kyrie to Ali and that's retarded.

Batman

Hoopla Cash
$ 980.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But that's not what we're discussing. You can respect or not respect Kyrie, whatever works for you. The topic is comparing Kyrie to Ali and that's retarded.

Except I didn't compare Kyrie to Ali.

I said the resentment he is facing is as real as the resentment Ali faced.

He sits, surrounded by resentment.
A resentment as real as the resentment that surrounded Ali.

Its right there in black and white.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

One could argue a Kaepernick level of resentment.

Picklerick 2.0

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I choose to respect it.
It is almost like you have no idea what the word hyperbole is and why it diminishes a person's stance.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LOL well if we can't agree on what words mean then we can't have a productive conversation. Merry Christmas!