• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kyle sustained a separated left shoulder in the third quarter against the Giants.

crash

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If he was rattled by death threats, he didn't let on. If he was hurting physically, he wouldn't acknowledge it.

Instead, Kyle Williams stood at his locker Monday morning and calmly accepted blame for the two botched punt returns that may have cost the 49ers a trip to the Super Bowl.

"You have to take full responsibility for it, which I do,'' he said, engulfed by reporters at 49ers headquarters in Santa Clara. "It's something I made a mistake on. I'll move through it. I promise you that."

In a 20-17 loss in the NFC title game at Candlestick Park on Sunday, the second-year player from Arizona State bumbled twice on special teams. A ball glanced off his knee in the fourth quarter (a ruling Williams still disputes), setting up a Giants touchdown.

Then, in overtime, he fumbled a punt deep in 49ers territory that set up New York's winning field goal.

Williams was bombarded by vicious messages on Twitter, including some death threats directed at him and his family. (Williams is single with no children).

Williams on Monday said he never even saw them.

"You know what? I really didn't pay attention to Twitter. All the feedback I needed was family and friends, the guys in the locker room,'' he said.

"That was all I needed because that's really all that matters when you come down to it -- the guys who are wearing the same jersey and the family and friends who were close by."

But the Internet vitriol directed at his son riled Kenny Williams, the general manager of the Chicago White Sox. Kenny Williams told ESPNchicago.com that having to hear about threats on his son "makes you question our culture of sports as it stands."

Kenny Williams also said that Kyle sustained a separated left shoulder in the third quarter against the Giants. He didn't use that as an excuse, however -- and neither did his son.

"In football, everybody is going to be dinged up here and there,'' Kyle Williams said. "If (my dad) said was that it was the cause for any of the mistakes that were made, that's not it.

"I take full responsibility for the mistake that I did make. You have to play with what you got. I was dinged up. Everybody was dinged up. That's just football. Nobody is going to be 100 percent."

Elsewhere in the locker room, several 49ers players expressed support for their embattled teammate. No one spoke more passionately in Williams' defense than kicker David Akers, who missed a pair of field goals for the Philadelphia Eagles in a 21-16 playoff loss to the Green Bay Packers last year.

Akers sent a message via Twitter asking fans to back off.

"I'm irritated with the way people are treating him, absolutely,'' Akers said Monday. "I think it's ridiculous. You know, get a grip on what life's about.

"(Williams) went out and he put his soul out there. That's what he does. He was not trying to do anything other than make an incredible play for this team. He had a great kickoff return. Mistakes happen. We all make mistakes."

Pro Bowl linebacker Patrick Willis, like Akers, was horrified by the backlash against Williams.

"Some of the stuff out there that I've seen, man, I was just like, 'They're saying that because they're hurting,''' Willis said. "But we live this game. We breathe this game. We sleep this game. If they feel that way, you can only imagine how bad he feels.

"You never want anyone to go through anything like that. It's just unfortunate that it happened to a player like him. To me, he's one of the best skill players in this game. To go through something like this, it probably hurts now, but it'll only make him stronger in the long run. He has my full support."

Williams handed punt return duties on Sunday only because Ted Ginn Jr. was inactive because of a knee injury. But Williams had plenty of experience as a returner in college.

In fact, Williams had been in the similar situation -- right down to unhappy outcome. On the last play of his collegiate career at Arizona State, he fumbled a punt that his archrival Arizona recovered, and the Sun Devils lost 20-17.

But there wasn't a berth in the Super Bowl on the line there. The high stakes explain why Williams stayed flat on the ground for several seconds after his final, fateful fumble.

"It's one of those feelings that you don't ever want to feel on the football field,'' Williams said. "It's painful. We're very passionate about what we do and we're very passionate about getting to the Super Bowl.

"To be able to be that close and not to get to it is painful, but hopefully we're going to get through it as a team and we'll be back."

49ers' Kyle Williams accepts responsibility for fumbles, vows to bounce back from it - ContraCostaTimes.com

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Not separated by all informed accounts. I think someone is just going a bit too far trying to protect him....which I can't blame them for.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In fact, Williams had been in the similar situation -- right down to unhappy outcome. On the last play of his collegiate career at Arizona State, he fumbled a punt that his archrival Arizona recovered, and the Sun Devils lost 20-17.

so he has a history if choking. why wasn't reggie smith handling punts in a critical game, especially when the diving fair catch was made?

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was his pappy who made up the separated shoulder stuff.

Kyle has totally accepted responsibility for his mistakes, that's all you can ask at this point. He's a good player he'll bounce back, I'm looking forward to some redemption next year!

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Kyle has totally accepted responsibility for his mistakes, that's all you can ask at this point. He's a good player he'll bounce back, I'm looking forward to some redemption next year!

I wish he would just leave it at that. I'm hearing excuses now about separated shoulders and "he hit me right when I was getting ready to change arms" that are total bullshit. He fucked up and he should just leave it be.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People need to lighten the fuck up. Even his family has received threats.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish he would just leave it at that. I'm hearing excuses now about separated shoulders and "he hit me right when I was getting ready to change arms" that are total bullshit. He fucked up and he should just leave it be.

Well he said - Did my dad say that? (about separating a shoulder) Well that has nothing to do with it. I messed up, no excuses. - something along those lines he really wasn't using that as an excuse.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People need to lighten the fuck up. Even his family has received threats.

No shit. His make-believe family received threats. He's not married and doesn't have any kids. But still, what loser would threaten his life?

I might say "Kille the fucking quarterback! Rip his fucking head off and take it to the house!" but that's during the game and not entirely serious.

Some people have pathetic lives I suppose and sports is all they've got.

h-hour

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
You people defending this choking fuck crack me up.

Had it been Alex throwing a critical INT yall'd be ready to kill him.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You people defending this choking fuck crack me up.

Had it been Alex throwing a critical INT yall'd be ready to kill him.

Well I wouldn't, no one is defending him. He screwed up bad cost us the game, he sucked. But death threats? C'mon, fuck that.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

he was asked by the media if that is what he was doing and he said yes but it doesn't matter. He isn't making any excuses.

And to anybody who sent death threats... GET THE FUCK OUT! you are not wanted as a fan. You are a sick fucked up piece of trash.

h-hour

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Well I wouldn't, no one is defending him. He screwed up bad cost us the game, he sucked. But death threats? C'mon, fuck that.

I dont like the death threats either. But he deserves every bit of criticism he's getting...whether he accepts responsibility or not.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know I'm only about 80% sure that ball really hit his knee. I thought it was close and was hoping they went with the call on the field. The ball never appears to change rotation after it seems to hit his knee. The only thing that made it look like it touched him was the ball appears to shift over mysteriously as if he bumped it.

Like I said I'm 80% sure it changed course in mid-air due to his knee tapping it, but I don't think it was conclusive either. A gust of wind could have caused it or maybe it was just the path the ball was taking to begin with. After all both of those events would not have altered the rotation of the ball.

I knew they were going to rule it hit his knee though =\

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the ball hit him and went like 45 degrees in a different direction. balls dont move like that 1 foot off the ground. he shouldn't have been anywhere near that ball anyways