• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kyle Shanahan, stick a fork in him?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, yeah it did cost them that. they're going to the superbowl. IF IF IF they win, who cares what it cost them. Thats just my opinion.

Obviously hindsight is 20/20. No there is no guarantee the 49'ers pull it off. I dont disagree with anything you've said quite honestly. I am not attacking you. For me, it's that I think Jimmy is not that good. I never did. He has the most deceiving numbers in all of football. So for me, I think it was a mistake to ever have the intention to go into a season with jimmy g as your qb. Thats making a move for lance, or any other qb aside. But toss in the fact that you had a loaded roster, and you chose to roll with jimmy, thats on kyle. You also decided to take a very very raw young qb. If he takes more time to get up to speed, and he may/likely will(understandably), then they waste another year. I may be in the minority in that thought process. I also don't think kyle trusts jimmy that much and hides him. Which again, goes back to, why are you starting jimmy with a loaded roster.
I am not attacking what the Rams paid for Stafford. It was what they were willing to pay. And as an organization, they devalue draft picks, so sending a boat load for an older franchise-level QB makes sense (seriously, not attacking the cost they paid).

Playing the whole “Team X paid Y for player A. We could have made that deal!” game has always been an eye-roller for me. As I said earlier, maybe the Lions thought the Rams draft picks were more valuable than the Niners picks. Maybe the Niners have a different value-system in place for their picks than the Rams do (this is almost certainly true). But even assuming they don’t, who is to say the Lions would have want the same package from the Niners (Jimmy instead of Goff, of course)? Maybe they would have wanted Warner or Bosa or Aiyoke or Samuel instead of/as well as? Would the Niners have made it to the NFCCG with Stafford, but without Bosa? With Stafford, but without Warner? With Stafford, but without Samuel?

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not attacking what the Rams paid for Stafford. It was what they were willing to pay. And as an organization, they devalue draft picks, so sending a boat load for an older franchise-level QB makes sense (seriously, not attacking the cost they paid).

Playing the whole “Team X paid Y for player A. We could have made that deal!” game has always been an eye-roller for me. As I said earlier, maybe the Lions thought the Rams draft picks were more valuable than the Niners picks. Maybe the Niners have a different value-system in place for their picks than the Rams do (this is almost certainly true). But even assuming they don’t, who is to say the Lions would have want the same package from the Niners (Jimmy instead of Goff, of course)? Maybe they would have wanted Warner or Bosa or Aiyoke or Samuel instead of/as well as? Would the Niners have made it to the NFCCG with Stafford, but without Bosa? With Stafford, but without Warner? With Stafford, but without Samuel?
Did you read my post? For instance the part where I said that it was a mistake to ever enter a year with the intention of having jimmy at qb? Me basically stating that ANY scenario, involving jimmy is a mistake? Which was pretty much the bulk of my post.

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the 49ers have some things to iron out and HC isn’t one of those things

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you read my post? For instance the part where I said that it was a mistake to ever enter a year with the intention of having jimmy at qb? Me basically stating that ANY scenario, involving jimmy is a mistake? Which was pretty much the bulk of my post.
I read that. But there were not better options available.

Apparently the Pack were not shopping Rogers. There is no reason to believe any reasonable offer from the Niners would have gotten the Lions attention. According to reports, Kyle herd about the trade on the news. He was never even given a chance to counter the Rams offer even though he had an open discussion with the Lions front office at the time. This tells me that the Rams offer was so far and above anything that was being discussed by the Niners that a counter was not necessary. 100% speculation on my part.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No i dont think the results would be better. But again, kyle put himself in that situation. Jimmys contract is easy to ditch, kyle could of upgraded.

Sure, but moving on from a QB with that winning percentage in favor of a raw running QB could really backfire. Interesting situation to be in, and Jimmy's win percentage seems incongruous to his respect level in the league as being a game manager at best. 3 first rounders invested in that QB to be though, so Jimmy is out. I wonder what the market would be for Lance in this down year for rookie QBs if the Niners were taking offers?

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, but moving on from a QB with that winning percentage in favor of a raw running QB could really backfire. Interesting situation to be in, and Jimmy's win percentage seems incongruous to his respect level in the league as being a game manager at best. 3 first rounders invested in that QB to be though, so Jimmy is out. I wonder what the market would be for Lance in this down year for rookie QBs if the Niners were taking offers?
I think you are missing my poijt. Prior to selecting lance, or any rookie, they had to make a decision thag they were in with jimmy for this year. Have to make that call before hand.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are missing my poijt. Prior to selecting lance, or any rookie, they had to make a decision thag they were in with jimmy for this year. Have to make that call before hand.

Understood, but that doesn't make the situation any easier, especially if they had beaten the Rams. The loss actually eases the pressure a little.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Understood, but that doesn't make the situation any easier, especially if they had beaten the Rams. The loss actually eases the pressure a little.
I mean it does. But you saw kyles trust in jimmy in the clutch in the superbowl….yet here they were again.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that the fact the Niners would be shopping him would, in itself, lower his market. I understand that kinda gets outside the parameters of your hypothetical, but it is hard to factor without adding that metric into the calculus.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that. But there were not better options available.

Apparently the Pack were not shopping Rogers. There is no reason to believe any reasonable offer from the Niners would have gotten the Lions attention. According to reports, Kyle herd about the trade on the news. He was never even given a chance to counter the Rams offer even though he had an open discussion with the Lions front office at the time. This tells me that the Rams offer was so far and above anything that was being discussed by the Niners that a counter was not necessary. 100% speculation on my part.

Plus, the Rams had inquired about Rodgers before pursuing Stafford. As great as that could've been, I'm glad they went with Stafford. Rodgers is ascending my hate list lol.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that the fact the Niners would be shopping him would, in itself, lower his market. I understand that kinda gets outside the parameters of your hypothetical, but it is hard to factor without adding that metric into the calculus.
Of course. It would be more along the lines of deciding to move him due to a really strong offer, not shopping him. Not realistic either way lol, just curious what that going price would be.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course. It would be more along the lines of deciding to move him due to a really strong offer, not shopping him. Not realistic either way lol, just curious what that going price would be.
A VERY toolsy young QB, still on his rookie contract coming from a winning organization who is already 1 year down the line in his cooking process, and has 2 starts under his belt already (looking not-horrible in 6 of his 8 quarters).

I think he would demand AT LEAST the 3 1’s the Niners spent to get him (I say 3 picks here because it coast the Niners a total of 3 picks to add him to the roster, though, putting them in the position to do that only cost them an additional 2 picks). Most likely more because he is already at least defrosted and sitting on the counter waiting for a good rub or marinade.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trey Lance is not going anywhere. The 49ers are not exactly in the best cap situation. They're not Saints/Cowboys/Packers bad, but they're not great given they need to sign 20 or so people.

Jimmy G saves them nearly $25M. He's gone. Someone may trade for him, but it'll be LOW value. Dee Ford will probably be a post June release, that saves another $7M and starts to get them back to where they need to be.

Trey Lance should be fine. He's got plenty of weapons to excel with a full season on the bench and an offseason to be the guy to takeover. Also, Trey Lance was very raw when he was drafted... everyone kind of figured a year on the bench would serve him well.. so it's understandable. But to march a mediocre QB out for another year and let a top 3 pick ride the bench in the cheap of his contract would be ridiculously stupid.

49ers are at a point where they can't afford to keep Jimmy and the talent they have that is actually GOOD to keep.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trey Lance is not going anywhere. The 49ers are not exactly in the best cap situation. They're not Saints/Cowboys/Packers bad, but they're not great given they need to sign 20 or so people.

Jimmy G saves them nearly $25M. He's gone. Someone may trade for him, but it'll be LOW value. Dee Ford will probably be a post June release, that saves another $7M and starts to get them back to where they need to be.

Trey Lance should be fine. He's got plenty of weapons to excel with a full season on the bench and an offseason to be the guy to takeover. Also, Trey Lance was very raw when he was drafted... everyone kind of figured a year on the bench would serve him well.. so it's understandable. But to march a mediocre QB out for another year and let a top 3 pick ride the bench in the cheap of his contract would be ridiculously stupid.

49ers are at a point where they can't afford to keep Jimmy and the talent they have that is actually GOOD to keep.

I wasn't suggesting that Lance was going anywhere, just curious as to what his trade value would be given the talent level of the QBs available in this year's draft.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't suggesting that Lance was going anywhere, just curious as to what his trade value would be given the talent level of the QBs available in this year's draft.
Sometimes when we look at trade value I think we have to see what those potential picks might be. Like you say, the QB talent in this years draft likely a big factor.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes when we look at trade value I think we have to see what those potential picks might be. Like you say, the QB talent in this years draft likely a big factor.

Of course. But if you're trading a young QB away, I don't think the endgame would be to draft another QB with those picks this year. Next year seems much more lucrative IMO, and there is plenty of other talent in this draft at other positions.

All that said, the Niners roster is coming together pretty well. They could probably use a shutdown corner, and of course that QB to build the future of the team around (which is presumably Lance). 19 games at North Dakota State is hard to project to the NFL, so we're really going by measurables and traits more than any college production. Plus, he's now hardly played in 2 years.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course. But if you're trading a young QB away, I don't think the endgame would be to draft another QB with those picks this year. Next year seems much more lucrative IMO, and there is plenty of other talent in this draft at other positions.

All that said, the Niners roster is coming together pretty well. They could probably use a shutdown corner, and of course that QB to build the future of the team around (which is presumably Lance). 19 games at North Dakota State is hard to project to the NFL, so we're really going by measurables and traits more than any college production. Plus, he's now hardly played in 2 years.
Yeah, they knew and everybody knew Lance was a project. So was Mahomes in a way when he was drafted and allowed to sit and learn. Lance is far more raw maybe but even supposing they aren't looking to draft a QB right away, they have all the other pieces and you never know where your trade partner will end up 2 years away. Drafting back into the high teens or 20s would be mostly useless unless the team got extremely lucky.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

These kinds of deals are never judged on their merots before hand. Only after we see how they work

Pretty much everyone thought LA gave up too much for Stafford but if tgey win a title then itll be looked at as worth it. But the truth is we dont know. Whos to say Goff vouldnt have done the same ?

If SF gives up a 1st and a 3rd for Matt Ryan in July people will balk but if he yakes them to a SB itd be worth it when the truth is maybe Lance couldve done the same

And on and on

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I dont know why they wouldnt get a 3rd in the upcoming draft and AT LEAST a 2nd in the following draft. Their baseline is the Wentz trade really. And there are going to be even more suitors on the market this year for a QB than there were last year with Ben and Brady calling it quits.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much everyone thought LA gave up too much for Stafford but if tgey win a title then itll be looked at as worth it. But the truth is we dont know. Whos to say Goff vouldnt have done the same ?
Um…

Anyone who ever saw Goff play?