• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kyle Korver to the Cavs

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
David Griffin really has gotten creative with his ability to make deals over the passed few years and he seems to have a very good relationship with a variety of GM's around the league

just since the summer LeBron resigned- the Cavs have made deals/trades with the Celtics, Nets, Knicks, Nuggets, Trailblazers, Magic, Hawks, Bucks, Bulls, Timberwolves and 76'ers--- 2 teams even in the same division.

Griffin has to have been the most active GM on the trade front over the last 3 seasons...its been pretty crazy.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont expect a ton out of Korver- he is definitely not the player he was when he made the all star team a couple years ago---- but i think he can be a good rotation player and contribute---- id guess about the same- maybe a little more production than Channing Frye.

Its a nice deal that lengthens the amount of guys on the Cavs roster that you can credibly play in a playoff series....

PG- Kyrie
SG- JR
SF- Bron
PF- Love
C- TT

bench-
Shumpert, Korver, Jefferson, Frye

thats a solid 9 man rotation

i still think they will be on the lookout for a true backup point guard-- whether that might be Jack, Cole or Chalmers- or someone else that is bought out (I saw a ridiculous rumor about Rondo)- is yet to be seen.

Liggins, McRae and Felder probably arent gonna be ready for the big time- but at least they are around if disaster strikes. I think the Cavs really saw Liggins offensive struggles and realized he is much much better as your 10th or 11th guy- and 15 minute a night guy than being a top 8 guy and starting and playing 25 minutes a night.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont expect a ton out of Korver- he is definitely not the player he was when he made the all star team a couple years ago---- but i think he can be a good rotation player and contribute---- id guess about the same- maybe a little more production than Channing Frye.

Its a nice deal that lengthens the amount of guys on the Cavs roster that you can credibly play in a playoff series....

PG- Kyrie
SG- JR
SF- Bron
PF- Love
C- TT

bench-
Shumpert, Korver, Jefferson, Frye

thats a solid 9 man rotation

i still think they will be on the lookout for a true backup point guard-- whether that might be Jack, Cole or Chalmers- or someone else that is bought out (I saw a ridiculous rumor about Rondo)- is yet to be seen.

Liggins, McRae and Felder probably arent gonna be ready for the big time- but at least they are around if disaster strikes. I think the Cavs really saw Liggins offensive struggles and realized he is much much better as your 10th or 11th guy- and 15 minute a night guy than being a top 8 guy and starting and playing 25 minutes a night.

So a poor man's Patrick McCaw then? :heh:

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
David Griffin really has gotten creative with his ability to make deals over the passed few years and he seems to have a very good relationship with a variety of GM's around the league

just since the summer LeBron resigned- the Cavs have made deals/trades with the Celtics, Nets, Knicks, Nuggets, Trailblazers, Magic, Hawks, Bucks, Bulls, Timberwolves and 76'ers--- 2 teams even in the same division.

Griffin has to have been the most active GM on the trade front over the last 3 seasons...its been pretty crazy.

He's done a nice job for sure, and his creativity in adding complimentary pieces around the core has been impressive... but let's not forgot his job isn't THAT hard. He's building around LeBron Fucking James, Kevin Love and Kryie Motherfuckin Irving.

That said, Korver will help spread the floor and make opposing defenses' gameplan a living hell. Leave to double someone/help and now you gotta worry about Korver getting hot from deep, adds a new dimension to their perimeter.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn't as great a deal for the Cavs as the initial shock makes it seem. Don't get me wrong, its still a good deal, just hear me out. Korver has cratered the last 2 years, especially this year. He no longer bends the floor with just the threat of his shooting like he did a few years ago and his speed and playmaking has dropped off considerably as he's aged. He really is just a spot up shooter right now. He's not the guy that Atlanta made a key piece of their offense. He will however, slide nicely into JR Smith's role. And that's really what this is; insurance for JR Smith missing a longer period of time than anticipated. They've now got a little shooting depth if they need it.

But maybe most importantly, its a defensive move. By making this trade, it prevents Boston and Toronto from getting him. Those are two direct competitors that would have definitely benefited from some added floor spacing

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn't as great a deal for the Cavs as the initial shock makes it seem. Don't get me wrong, its still a good deal, just hear me out. Korver has cratered the last 2 years, especially this year. He no longer bends the floor with just the threat of his shooting like he did a few years ago and his speed and playmaking has dropped off considerably as he's aged. He really is just a spot up shooter right now. He's not the guy that Atlanta made a key piece of their offense. He will however, slide nicely into JR Smith's role. And that's really what this is; insurance for JR Smith missing a longer period of time than anticipated. They've now got a little shooting depth if they need it.

But maybe most importantly, its a defensive move. By making this trade, it prevents Boston and Toronto from getting him. Those are two direct competitors that would have definitely benefited from some added floor spacing
i def agree with a lot of that. Korver is by no means a game-changer. Shumpert is still the way more important guard off the bench.

Like we both said- Korver is a nice insurance policy for JR....and he will slot in nice on the CAvs bench once Jr comes back.

Korver has definitely never seen open shots like he will playing with Lebron, Kyrie and Love. That should be interesting- he is currently shooting over 40% from 3....i would say he will shot AT LEAST 40% with the Cavs- though its hard to say- HE WILL DEFINITELY SHOOT 45%- as you cant say that about ANYBODY in the league.

I like how it lengthens the Cavs bench.

Frye, Korver, Shumpert and Jefferson is a solid bench- ill take that any day over GSW's bench of Iggy, Livingston, Clark, and....West?Mcgee? (would those be the top 4 bench players?- the most likely to play once rotations are shortened in the playoffs?)

a second level of Liggins, McRae, Felder gives tehm a little bit of depth in case of an emergency.

Last edited:

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
itll be interesting. If Korver can get his legs underneath him and turn into that guy who runs around picks like crazy and can hit 3's in his sleep- he will become a nice weapon.

you can see- obviously the other night against chicago they just didnt have the weapons they needed- and as much as i want to admit that its not often that Love and Kyrie will be out- injuriues do happen- and the Cavs arent taking any risks and they arent pushing guys to their limits iwthout resting them.

it was important to get another credible NBA player who can play minutes in a playoff series. I hope they still add one more in the back court--- which is obviously why they got rid of both Mo and Dunleavy- to open up a roster spot.

i hope they held onto McRae...i like his long term potential...with Felder as more of a long-term project- its hard to have 2 guys like that on a championship caliber roster--- but if its at all possible id like to see them keep McRae going forward even if he doesnt get any run. I wouldnt give up on him yet. I think he has some pretty good potential down the line as a scoring wing- nothing special- but a guy who can become a good rotation player possibly someday. He is just too inconsistent right now.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the Hawks sign Dwight in an attempt to compete for a title and now they are blowing it up less than halfway through the season?

Makes no sense.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you gotta give some credit to David Griffin...he pulls this shit out of a hat.....out of the blue last year he gets Frye who fits perfectly with LeBron- and now he goes out and gets Korver who should fit in great with LeBron.

and a ton of credit goes to big Dan G. who is once again footing the bill for the biggest payroll in the NBA- which is also concurrently the biggest player payroll in the history of the entire league.

Without Dan's willingness to go above and beyond you dont make trades like for Frye- or Korver (which opened up a roster spot and will eventually be occupied by a player who - if they sign for the minimum- will get 1M- but after paying the tax will cost the Cavs over $5 million (i think their progressive tax rate for additional salary is 4.25-1 at this point).

If Korver helps the Cavs with one or two hot performances in the playoffs, and helps them secure homefield advantage - it will have been well-worth it. Just go crazy once in the NBA Finals with a 7/10 shooting night from behidn the line Mr. Korver and you will have earned the entirety of your paycheck and once again made David Griffin look pretty smart.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm waiting on the details as well. His defense is horrendous though

Yeah not a huge fan but he is only replacing Smith for now, once JR comes back he wont play as many minutes

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said not a huge fan of Korver BUT playing with Lebron I love this move. This dude is going to get a ton of open looks especially if Bron is on the court with him.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said not a huge fan of Korver BUT playing with Lebron I love this move. This dude is going to get a ton of open looks especially if Bron is on the court with him.
its just nice to lengthen the rotation and have a viable replacement for Smith.....

and the picks arent a huge loss- even though i dont like giving them up since they are assets.

Now instead of having a pick in 2017--- they have a pick in 2018 when they before didnt have a 2018 pick--- and the pick to the Hawks goes in 2019- but if disaster strikes that pick is supposedly heavily protected.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well we had both Korver and Dunleavy here in chicago. Korver was much better. This is a safety net for Cleveland, either for those nights JR Smith (who we had in chicago via trade but never had on the team) is off and still shooting, or when he completely leaves the reservation.

larryjohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah not a huge fan but he is only replacing Smith for now, once JR comes back he wont play as many minutes

JR has become a pretty good defensive player. (no way I could have envisioned typing that sentence before the last couple of years) Perimeter defense is critical against the Ws.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the Hawks sign Dwight in an attempt to compete for a title and now they are blowing it up less than halfway through the season?

Makes no sense.

I think this is the back story. So Atlanta is ready to move Korver and Milsap, so soon after Teague and Horford leave. What is Atlanta thinking?

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sheesh...

the NBA finals,provided both the Cavs and Dubs both make it, is gonna resemble the 3 point contest...

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JR has become a pretty good defensive player. (no way I could have envisioned typing that sentence before the last couple of years) Perimeter defense is critical against the Ws.

Yeah he has become good defensively. He supposed to be back about a month before the playoffs start so at least he will get time before the playoffs.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's done a nice job for sure, and his creativity in adding complimentary pieces around the core has been impressive... but let's not forgot his job isn't THAT hard. He's building around LeBron Fucking James, Kevin Love and Kryie Motherfuckin Irving.

That said, Korver will help spread the floor and make opposing defenses' gameplan a living hell. Leave to double someone/help and now you gotta worry about Korver getting hot from deep, adds a new dimension to their perimeter.
yah- you def have a point

but then why arent teams like Chicago or Washington - just sitting on their ass...dont tell me they couldnt have gotten Korver- a guy that would be a very nice addition for either team- and cost them a lot less money than the incremental tax the Cavs are paying.

or Frye last year.....its just impressive to see the Cavs pull off the type of moves that make the team better like this---- it makes me wonder if some other GM's in the East are really any good at their jobs at all.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its official. Mo Williams included too, which is huge, cause it opens a roster spot that was being wasted.