• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kirk Ferentz on the hot seat?

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3. Kirk Ferentz, on the hot seat? Well, Iowa has lost at least five games in five of the past seven seasons and has been .500 or worse in league play in four of the past six. Such results wouldn't fly with Husker fans. What's the vibe Ferentz gets from the Iowa fan base entering what looks like a potentially unremarkable season for the Hawkeyes?

Five (non-Penn State) questions for Big Ten media days

HawkeyesRuleURFace

Avid Basketball Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who knows...he's on the hot seat every year according to a lot of Hawk fans. I'm one of them that gets pissed at the BS (PSU and Nebraska game last year). I think that people want to see a different style of play. This year will be that style of play. We will see how that plays out

herky

YEAH JEETS!!!!!!111
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would guess that he's going to get a bit of a pass this year (New OC/DC and new position coaches) and next year (new starting QB). I personally think that he's here til he retires and his son takes over.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's probably in his best interest to take a pay cut. He's obviously a great player developer and has made the program much better than it was when he arrived, but his in-game coaching mistakes are starting to add up. Combined with the player behavioral issues and his huge salary, it's not tough to understand why these rumblings are beginning.

HawkeyeHater

Not a drunk
Hoopla Cash
$ 750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is a pretty good coach imo.........

But he is definitely the most overpaid coach in the big.....

Still living off 3 great years..

herky

YEAH JEETS!!!!!!111
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's probably in his best interest to take a pay cut. He's obviously a great player developer and has made the program much better than it was when he arrived, but his in-game coaching mistakes are starting to add up. Combined with the player behavioral issues and his huge salary, it's not tough to understand why these rumblings are beginning.

People have been saying that he's on the hot seat for the past 6 years.

He is a pretty good coach imo.........

But he is definitely the most overpaid coach in the big.....

Still living off 3 great years..

He is a good coach. He's not a rah rah in your face kind of coach but he gets his stuff done. However, you're right. He was living off of those 3 years but I think that he finally realized that he needs to change it up some. I think that he's here another 5-6 years and then he retires.
As far as being overpaid, they threw money at him to keep him from leaving. Right or wrong, that's why.

HawkeyesRuleURFace

Avid Basketball Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's always in everyones best interest to take a pay cut:vee:

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ferentz is sort of a victim of his own success. Iowa has 9 top 10 finishes in their entire history and Ferentz has had 4 in the last 10 years. The reality is that Iowa is basically a 7-5 type program that has had more success in the last decade then they have at pretty much any point in the last 50 years so the fans have begun to expect it. I think he is probably the best caliber coach Iowa can hope to get. If the Iowa football fans were smart theyd take a lesson from what happened to the basketball program when they fired Tom Davis. Sometimes the grass isnt greener on the othe side, sometimes the grass is dead and brown on the other side.

HawkeyesRuleURFace

Avid Basketball Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ferentz is sort of a victim of his own success. Iowa has 9 top 10 finishes in their entire history and Ferentz has had 4 in the last 10 years. The reality is that Iowa is basically a 7-5 type program that has had more success in the last decade then they have at pretty much any point in the last 50 years so the fans have begun to expect it. I think he is probably the best caliber coach Iowa can hope to get. If the Iowa football fans were smart theyd take a lesson from what happened to the basketball program when they fired Tom Davis. Sometimes the grass isnt greener on the othe side, sometimes the grass is dead and brown on the other side.

I thought Alford was incredible

herky

YEAH JEETS!!!!!!111
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He took over program at Marion University is DivIII I think. Anyway, it's the school where John Lickliter went after he transferred from Iowa. I don't think he could start there.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kirk Ferentz has been putting the reputation of Iowa football ahead of on-field success. He has suspended players for what is normally minor crimes. I think he has dealt with such situations very professionally. Some of the student-athletes didn't like their punishment and didn't want to live up to the crime, so they left.

Now, all summer long, I've heard many people on TV, internet, radio, and in person how Joe Paterno is such a terrible person for putting the reputation of the PSU football program ahead of doing the right thing. Obviously, the scandal at PSU is lightyears worse than what was going on at Iowa (although DJK's roomate being a drug dealer and DJK taking cocaine and ll types of drugs is more than minor), the principle is the same.

Nobody has criticized his decision making on what punishments he gave the players, which in turn hurt the W/L of the program. Now they are criticizing him for what he has done on the field, or there lack of. Overpaid - yes. I think all of those coaches are overpaid and I don't think Ferentz should be one of the highest paid coaches either. I think he is setting up a team that will be pretty good (as long as the players don't get in trouble).

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kirk Ferentz has been putting the reputation of Iowa football ahead of on-field success. He has suspended players for what is normally minor crimes. I think he has dealt with such situations very professionally. Some of the student-athletes didn't like their punishment and didn't want to live up to the crime, so they left.

Now, all summer long, I've heard many people on TV, internet, radio, and in person how Joe Paterno is such a terrible person for putting the reputation of the PSU football program ahead of doing the right thing. Obviously, the scandal at PSU is lightyears worse than what was going on at Iowa (although DJK's roomate being a drug dealer and DJK taking cocaine and ll types of drugs is more than minor), the principle is the same.

Nobody has criticized his decision making on what punishments he gave the players, which in turn hurt the W/L of the program. Now they are criticizing him for what he has done on the field, or there lack of. Overpaid - yes. I think all of those coaches are overpaid and I don't think Ferentz should be one of the highest paid coaches either. I think he is setting up a team that will be pretty good (as long as the players don't get in trouble).

Iowa Hawkeyes RB De'Andre Johnson suspended after 2nd incident - ESPN

LOL

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
De'Andre Johnson now gone. Kirk Ferentz didn't want to put up with him anymore.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, Ferentz needs better scouts/recruiters. It's either that or young people these days really are a shit class of human being. It used to be that Iowa recruited nothing but hard working, blue collar, straight shooters....and kicked ass with them.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, Ferentz needs better scouts/recruiters. It's either that or young people these days really are a shit class of human being. It used to be that Iowa recruited nothing but hard working, blue collar, straight shooters....and kicked ass with them.

Thats still how most of the Iowa recruits are to be fair. It just seems like some of these kids are REALLY stupid. Its not like most of these kids are committing felonies or even serious misdemeanors but once you get arrested once maybe dont do soemthing to get arrested again a few days later etc???

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ferentz has done better in recruiting in these past couple years. I expect them to be stronger here in a few years. I think the offense will be better since Greg Davis has taken over as offensive coordinator. IDK how Phil Parker will do as DC, but Norm was a tough one to to take over.