• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kirk Cousins.....The elephant in the room that no one wants to talk about!

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stymie, of course KC has started games. And in every single game it was as a backup for Roberts team, but never as the #1 QB of this team going into a season...HUGE difference.

So, he does have a track record, correct?

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys are like a terrier with a sock sometimes. :lol:

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KC does have a track record . now 2 things can happen , he can prove that was a learning thing and cut down on those things or he can prove he is an emotional salad bar (not just a veggie )

we will see soon enough . my gut tells me we will see an improved KC

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KC does have a track record . now 2 things can happen , he can prove that was a learning thing and cut down on those things or he can prove he is an emotional salad bar (not just a veggie )

we will see soon enough . my gut tells me we will see an improved KC

If Cousins & the offense can get through the first two games looking at least halfway decent & relatively injury free that will be a very good sign. They are not going to face any better D-lines than the Dolphins or Rams. The line needs to step up at least a bit to allow Cousins & Morris to be effective. Cousins probably also needs to make sure to not get too greedy.

These will be two great tests. Not necessarily expecting or demanding wins - just looking for effective play that shows that the team has some type of future.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if we are in a position to win both games and dont there will be pressure but i would be ok with it

Mitziman

i know you don't like to hear the truth, but...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,454.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, he does have a track record, correct?

I'm not sure how to explain this to you any more simply Stymie. KC has been a backup to RG3 for his entire Redskins career...until this season, you know his FIRST as the guy, the man, the chief, the manager, the commander, the leader, the CAPTAIN freakin' Kirk of The Washington Redskins football team!

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure how to explain this to you any more simply Stymie. KC has been a backup to RG3 for his entire Redskins career...until this season, you know his FIRST as the guy, the man, the chief, the manager, the commander, the leader, the CAPTAIN freakin' Kirk of The Washington Redskins football team!

...........And I can't explain this to you more simply than this.......a start is a start, period end of sentence!

So if you're saying that his actual game play doesn't count simply because he was not named the guy, the man, the chief, the manager, the commander, the leader, the CAPTAIN freaking Kirk, look it up, I'll bet there really is a statistical record listing him as a starter in the OFFICIAL NFL record books that says you're wrong.

Last edited:

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...........And I can't explain this to you more simply than this.......a start is a start, period end of sentence!

So if you're saying that his actual game play doesn't count simply because he was not named the guy, the man, the chief, the manager, the commander, the leader, the CAPTAIN freaking Kirk, look it up, I'll bet there really is a statistical record listing him as a starter in the OFFICIAL NFL record books that says you're wrong.

sty i agree with you

JonBlaze

KFFL Alum
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 - 7 as a starter. Last year had 3rd worst INT % rate for all qualifying QBs (over 50 attempts). Only better than Matt Cassell and Jake Locker. In the last 2 years, he has the worst turnover rate of any QB in the NFL. 28.8 plays per turnover (min 500 plays). There's no elephant in the room, Kirk is JAG and one that has a bad problem of turning the ball over. It's just hard to get excited about a guy with that track record, regardless of how much better he's looked compared to RG3. I think it's more of lack of excitement if anything.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 - 7 as a starter. Last year had 3rd worst INT % rate for all qualifying QBs (over 50 attempts). Only better than Matt Cassell and Jake Locker. In the last 2 years, he has the worst turnover rate of any QB in the NFL. 28.8 plays per turnover (min 500 plays). There's no elephant in the room, Kirk is JAG and one that has a bad problem of turning the ball over. It's just hard to get excited about a guy with that track record, regardless of how much better he's looked compared to RG3. I think it's more of lack of excitement if anything.
All valid facts. Here are some more.

Terry Bradshaw threw an int every 10 pass attempts his first year and threw 73 INTs in his first 4 years in 51 games.

Troy aikman threw over 40 INTs in his first 30 games. Ditto with Brett Favre.

Peyton manning threw 100 INTs is his first 5 years, spanning 71 games.

I'm not saying the KC will ever be the QB of the caliber of any of those guys. In fact, he probably won't be. My point is that it is not uncommon for young QBs to turn the ball over. Some learn and grow out of it. They go on to long careers. Some don't and the become career backups or insurance salesmen. We don't know what KC will be, but we do know that his flaws are fixable as evidenced above and by many others.

RG3s flaws, however, are not as easily fixed. Lack of pocket awareness, hanging onto the ball too long, unable to protect himself, devisive personality, I can't think of one example of a QB that overcame these flaws and succeeded. The closest I can get is Vick. But I don't consider him a success.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Terry Bradshaw threw an int every 10 pass attempts his first year and threw 73 INTs in his first 4 years in 51 games.

I'm not saying the KC will ever be the QB of the caliber of any of those guys. In fact, he probably won't be. My point is that it is not uncommon for young QBs to turn the ball over. Some learn and grow out of it. They go on to long careers. Some don't and the become career backups or insurance salesmen. We don't know what KC will be, but we do know that his flaws are fixable as evidenced above and by many others.

RG3s flaws, however, are not as easily fixed. Lack of pocket awareness, hanging onto the ball too long, unable to protect himself, devisive personality, I can't think of one example of a QB that overcame these flaws and succeeded. The closest I can get is Vick. But I don't consider him a success.

C'mon j_y .... Cousins has a track record so we know what is going to happen. :lol:

JonBlaze

KFFL Alum
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's all fine and dandy, but you're cherry picking from HoF QBs that started poorly. If I look for it, I'm sure I could find many more examples of QBs with bad stats like Cousins has and they never turned it around. He's more likely to be Rex Grossman imo

Bottom line, the best thing Cousins actually has going for him is that he's NOT RG3. How may other teams would he be starting for right now? I will hope I'm wrong. Cousins does flash at times, but those numbers are hard to ignore.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's all fine and dandy, but you're cherry picking from HoF QBs that started poorly. If I look for it, I'm sure I could find many more examples of QBs with bad stats like Cousins has and they never turned it around. He's more likely to be Rex Grossman imo

Bottom line, the best thing Cousins actually has going for him is that he's NOT RG3. How may other teams would he be starting for right now? I will hope I'm wrong. Cousins does flash at times, but those numbers are hard to ignore.

I don't think anyone here said Cousins is a sure fire HOFer. What a number of us haven't done is bury the guys career after 9 starts. j_y didn't say he was Manning or Rogers, all he said is they had similar problems early in their careers. He is supposed to make mistakes at this point in his career. It is normal. I think the thing we are all waiting to see is does he go in the tank like he did in two games last year or can he make a mistake and then gather himself.

I don't think most of us are expecting more than 5-7 wins this year. He isn't going to a savior. We all know that. We just aren't burying the kid after 9 starts. One thing he didn't do is lead the league in sacks per attempt. With Sherff and Moses he might have to get that ball out real quick when those two go against Suh and Wake.

JonBlaze

KFFL Alum
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not burying him either but it seems like we're giving cousins way more benefit of the doubt when the performances and numbers suggest otherwise. The lack of sacks will be nice, that is for sure. Cousins does get rid of that ball a lot faster than rg3. Just hope it goes to the right colored jerseys. It's too bad his first start this year is vs Miami. Horrible match up for the OL

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not burying him either but it seems like we're giving cousins way more benefit of the doubt when the performances and numbers suggest otherwise. The lack of sacks will be nice, that is for sure. Cousins does get rid of that ball a lot faster than rg3. Just hope it goes to the right colored jerseys. It's too bad his first start this year is vs Miami. Horrible match up for the OL
I don't agree that Kirk will get any benefit of the doubt. Any INT will get 1000% scrutiny.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First two starts are tough when it comes to DL. Those kids on the OL are getting throw in the middle of the fire.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First two starts are tough when it comes to DL. Those kids on the OL are getting throw in the middle of the fire.
This Miami game reminds me so much of the opening Texans game last year. Hope we have a better result.

JonBlaze

KFFL Alum
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't agree that Kirk will get any benefit of the doubt. Any INT will get 1000% scrutiny.
I'm talking about right now. He's getting a pass for his past failures right now. I agree that soon as he starts throwing picks, it's gonna get ugly in here. But really, I think we're gonna be arguing over nothing. I'm already scouting the college ranks for the next skins qb.

JonBlaze

KFFL Alum
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This Miami game reminds me so much of the opening Texans game last year. Hope we have a better result.
I'm a lot more worried about Miami offense vs this defense compare to Houston last year, mainly the secondary.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm talking about right now. He's getting a pass for his past failures right now. I agree that soon as he starts throwing picks, it's gonna get ugly in here. But really, I think we're gonna be arguing over nothing. I'm already scouting the college ranks for the next skins qb.
I'd guess most us posting here don't believe that the QB of the future is on our roster but we are all hoping to be proved wrong.