• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kiper > Mayock

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kiper is a complete butt pirate. He constantly spews out garbage. Just a couple years ago he was going on about how Bobby Wagner was the next best MLB prospect (was start of 2nd round). So Seattle trades down and then Kiper starts saying, "OHHH Seattle might have made a bad decision and gotten themselves out of getting a MLB!!!!!!" so Eagles draft Kendricks and Kiper completely goes against what he said earlier and goes on and on about Kendricks. Then Seattle (next) drafts Wagner and Kiper starts freaking out about how Seattle got screwed and why Wagner is not as good blah blah blah.

HUH!? Completely discredits himself and all the panelists sit there nodding like nothing happened.

Look, I get it, Kiper is there to get attention, get viewers, and turn the draft into something WAY bigger than it should be. And he completely succeeded at doing that. However, to any intelligent fan or football maniac, he's a complete idiot.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kiper is a complete butt pirate. He constantly spews out garbage. Just a couple years ago he was going on about how Bobby Wagner was the next best MLB prospect (was start of 2nd round). So Seattle trades down and then Kiper starts saying, "OHHH Seattle might have made a bad decision and gotten themselves out of getting a MLB!!!!!!" so Eagles draft Kendricks and Kiper completely goes against what he said earlier and goes on and on about Kendricks. Then Seattle (next) drafts Wagner and Kiper starts freaking out about how Seattle got screwed and why Wagner is not as good blah blah blah.

HUH!? Completely discredits himself and all the panelists sit there nodding like nothing happened.

Look, I get it, Kiper is there to get attention, get viewers, and turn the draft into something WAY bigger than it should be. And he completely succeeded at doing that. However, to any intelligent fan or football maniac, he's a complete idiot.

Yes, the whole package of Kiper is promoted by ESPN as a personality. It's sort of the same thing with Clayton. When do you ever see a Normal Joe on these networks? Never because no one wants to just get information, they want to be entertained by huge personalities like Stephen A.

:stephena:

Mayock is no different though! What about the time on NFL Network during the draft when they have Eisen on the left side of the screen and Mayock on the right and Eisen asks him "So what do you think about this new DE for the Cleveland Browns?" Mayock is furiously shuffling papers, goes silent for about 10 seconds then looks at the camera with a deer-in-the-headlights look and sheepishly admits "I've never heard of this guy." :der:

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Kiper, but if anything, the guy proves what an inexact science drafting is. The guy knows everything about every player on the board down to what color his underwear is, and he still hits some and misses some, just like guys who only watch a couple of games every Saturday

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayock is no different though! What about the time on NFL Network during the draft when they have Eisen on the left side of the screen and Mayock on the right and Eisen asks him "So what do you think about this new DE for the Cleveland Browns?" Mayock is furiously shuffling papers, goes silent for about 10 seconds then looks at the camera with a deer-in-the-headlights look and sheepishly admits "I've never heard of this guy." :der:

See to me that sums up alot of the folks on NFL network, it's great they get former players and give them jobs but come on they sometimes don't have any idea what there talking about or you can't understand them, and I'm not saying that to be mean or racist, but in the media you take classes how to speak on camera and some of these folks sound really foolish.......

Example: Warren Sapp, the man is funny but come on as a draft mocker? Please....

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Kiper, but if anything, the guy proves what an inexact science drafting is. The guy knows everything about every player on the board down to what color his underwear is, and he still hits some and misses some, just like guys who only watch a couple of games every Saturday

100% true, which proves my point that, under the same circumstances, guys like you or I with a real passion for the game could do that job and many others. I guaran-damn-tee you that many of the guys on SportsHoopla if given the opportunity to manage a team's draft could do as well if not better than allot of NFL GMs.

I'll take it a step further. Put me in charge of the Titans' drafts over the last 5 years and I would bet you a million dollars against a plugged nickle that the team would be in better shape today than it is. And that fact really pisses me off! :mad2:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't care much for his schtick, but I think it's pure genius what Kiper has done...McShay at least played football (kinda) in college, worked his way up with a scouting firm and Mayock played in the league...Kiper more or less created a very lucrative career for himself as an expert analyst when he really doesn't know anymore about the game than the average NFL head on this board (being serious)...he made some contacts within the sport and he built his knowledge base through them...again genius imo.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See to me that sums up alot of the folks on NFL network, it's great they get former players and give them jobs but come on they sometimes don't have any idea what there talking about or you can't understand them, and I'm not saying that to be mean or racist, but in the media you take classes how to speak on camera and some of these folks sound really foolish.......

Example: Warren Sapp, the man is funny but come on as a draft mocker? Please....

Warren Sapp is a poor man's Charles Barkley.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree 100%. The NFL is always going to be limited, but at the CFB level there are a lot of opportunities to get into local sports talk type work.

The smart kids do exactly that...take public speaking classes, basic type stuff I'm talking about. A good example UGA...if you played there and was of any note if you can speak they will find you a gig...I would think most large universities are the same in the regard...they will take of their own, but you have to bring something to the table.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100% true, which proves my point that, under the same circumstances, guys like you or I with a real passion for the game could do that job and many others. I guaran-damn-tee you that many of the guys on SportsHoopla if given the opportunity to manage a team's draft could do as well if not better than allot of NFL GMs.

I'll take it a step further. Put me in charge of the Titans' drafts over the last 5 years and I would bet you a million dollars against a plugged nickle that the team would be in better shape today than it is. And that fact really pisses me off! :mad2:

Forget the past, you should right now create a thread, and from this day forward you draft sign free agents, cut players making sure you post your moves in the thread and see how better your team is compared to theirs???

And Hammer I'm suggesting you since its your boards and we don't have 31 other threads up there...

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They all bring something to the table as they have inside access to information the normal public won't be able to, but people tend to take their mocks and rankings as gospel and that's a big mistake. But they're also there to provide ratings to their networks and thus, they tend to ham things up to get an emotional response out of the football fans.

And I actually really like John Clayton. He's about as unbiased with his reporting as it gets and very knowledgeable about the sport and the players. Knows their strengths and weaknesses. Knows the schemes the teams run. You can tell he's not lazy and does an respectable amount of homework before he opens his mouth. But again, you just don't take what these guys say as gospel. Always have the filter on because they're still collecting paychecks from corporations to do what they do.

That being said, one of my true pleasures of NFL draft week is when someone reaches around the middle of the first round and Mel's mock blows up from the domino effect that usually occurs with the picks after. The look on his face when that massive reach happens is always priceless.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forget the past, you should right now create a thread, and from this day forward you draft sign free agents, cut players making sure you post your moves in the thread and see how better your team is compared to theirs???

And Hammer I'm suggesting you since its your boards and we don't have 31 other threads up there...

I don't really get what you're saying. Are you agreeing or disagreeing?

Some major differences if I had been GM (and I'm not talking in hindsight - this was stuff I was saying at the time):

Would never have resigned CJ to that albatross contract.

I'd have kept LeGarrette Blount as a featured back.

I would never have drafted a 5' 10" WR or Jake Locker in the first round.

I would have drafted the baddest OL and DL and signed skill position players from free agency or late rounds.

I would have kept Kerry Collins and Matt Hasselbeck around for at least an extra season each.

I would never have hired a glorified OL coach as head coach and certainly wouldn't have kept him around last season.

If I'm GM of the Titans, we at least win a playoff game last season.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Totally agree. Imagine being a Cowboys fan. My two best friends and I are watching the draft, none of us can believe Randy Moss didn't go in the top 5, then he doesn't again, then finally we sweat out the last pick, then we go nuts, high fiving, talking about Randy Moss across from Michael Irvin.....and then Jerry picks Greg Ellis
:doh::doh::doh: Or you see Jerry give up two #1's for....Joey Galloway. Or a #1 and #3 for......Roy Williams. How could an average fan NOT think they could do better?

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally agree. Imagine being a Cowboys fan. My two best friends and I are watching the draft, none of us can believe Randy Moss didn't go in the top 5, then he doesn't again, then finally we sweat out the last pick, then we go nuts, high fiving, talking about Randy Moss across from Michael Irvin.....and then Jerry picks Greg Ellis
:doh::doh::doh: Or you see Jerry give up two #1's for....Joey Galloway. Or a #1 and #3 for......Roy Williams. How could an average fan NOT think they could do better?

The average fan could absolutely do better than Jerry or Daniel Snyder. Their abuse of the first rounds and free agency is utterly astounding.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really get what you're saying. Are you agreeing or disagreeing?

Some major differences if I had been GM (and I'm not talking in hindsight - this was stuff I was saying at the time):

Would never have resigned CJ to that albatross contract.

I'd have kept LeGarrette Blount as a featured back.

I would never have drafted a 5' 10" WR or Jake Locker in the first round.

I would have drafted the baddest OL and DL and signed skill position players from free agency or late rounds.

I would have kept Kerry Collins and Matt Hasselbeck around for at least an extra season each.

I would never have hired a glorified OL coach as head coach and certainly wouldn't have kept him around last season.

If I'm GM of the Titans, we at least win a playoff game last season.

No I agree with you that a lot of posters could build a roster better and I think we could prove this by you taking your Titans roster right now and you start making moves, get a draft board ready and you can post to a thread to show your moves ... We can track this little experiment and see how an average fan can build a better team...

Does that make sense?

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I agree with you that a lot of posters could build a roster better and I think we could prove this by you taking your Titans roster right now and you start making moves, get a draft board ready and you can post to a thread to show your moves ... We can track this little experiment and see how an average fan can build a better team...

Does that make sense?

Perfect sense, except after the '08 loss to the Ravens (in the first round at home after starting 13-0) I became so disillusioned with the Titans' upstairs that I stopped really following it. Other than the Jurrell Casey and Chance Warmack picks, I've been almost entirely outraged with every move this team has made so I pretty much gave up.

Oh yeah, I thought of two other major differences.

I'd have never let Jared Cooke go to free agency and would never have not used Randy Moss and Kenny Britt as the weapons they are. Totally confounding some of the stupid shit this team dreams up and thinks are good ideas. :gaah:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My ranking would be Mayock, McShay, Kiper for the three.

Mayock to me seems to actually give his own personal opinion on players rather than just what GM's or inside sources tell him about players. He trusts his own two eyes. Obviously he doesn't get everything right but to me I would rather listen to a guy that has done his own homework on players and comes to his own conclusion rather than just spouting information that comes from everybody else but themselves.

His picking Mack over Clowney honestly I agree with completely. Clowney definitely has the higher ceiling but the fact that his production really doesn't line up with his athletic ability sends up some major red flags. His own coach questioned his work ethic. He sat out games for minor injuries. His conditioning has come into question. To me if you are picking top of the draft I want a guy that is a leader on the team and doesn't quit when the team needs them most. To me Mack has freak athletic ability plus production on the field and just doesn't have the red flags. Now yes he doesn't have as high of a ceiling but what you see is what you are going to get on the field. I have no clue what Clowney is going to do on the field.

Now between McShay and Kiper I guess it comes down to Kiper I like in the 1st 2 rounds of the draft. He really knows those prospects and what teams are saying about them and where they are going to go. McShay I like for the later rounds as he does a decent job of identifying some no name players that could be good in the NFL. I am a bigger fan of the later rounds in the draft so I guess that is why I like McShay better.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His picking Mack over Clowney honestly I agree with completely. Clowney definitely has the higher ceiling but the fact that his production really doesn't line up with his athletic ability sends up some major red flags. His own coach questioned his work ethic. He sat out games for minor injuries. His conditioning has come into question. To me if you are picking top of the draft I want a guy that is a leader on the team and doesn't quit when the team needs them most. To me Mack has freak athletic ability plus production on the field and just doesn't have the red flags.

No intent to take the thread sideways but I've seen a lot of Clowney, almost none of Mack aside from clips...I was not really surprised to hear Mayock say that...Clowney as certainly given us just cause, but just keeping it real, I have to wonder if Mack were in the same situation as Clowney coming into the season would we be talking about him in a similiar fashion...at the end of the day Mack was trying to play his way into the top of the draft...Clowney was trying to protect his position as a potential top 5 pick.