• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: King-less Mariners invade Globe Life 6/3-6-5

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would just as soon they eat that money. They are going to have a lot of very young and very cheap talent playing next season so they can afford to dump him and eat almost all of his salary. No more throwing in a prospect to pay someone to take on a bad salary.

I love Prince and sure wish he hadn't fallen off the face of the earth after the first half of last year. Id be willing to kick in some of my own cash to dump him if it doesnt get significantly better, like I said. Hell I would be willing to line Jeff's pockets a bit too, just to sit his ass for awhile or something. Something has to give soon, right?

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I still don't understand why they refuse to let Tolleson go to AAA to get right.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But I could see us keeping him and trading away EA. I know Elvis is playing terrific, but this makes his contract look better to a trade partner doesn't it?

Didn't see post # 113 from jta before I posted this. I personally hate redundancies. ha

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id be willing to kick in some of my own cash to dump him if it doesnt get significantly

Wow.....I'm impressed.

% wise, what'd ya have in mind?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very easy to say when it's not your 100+ million.
It is just as easy as it was to say as it was when I said it was a bad idea when we traded for him. Sometimes you have to take your lumps and move on. They knew he would never last the entire contract when they got him. If you get rid of both Prince and Desmond's contract and you pay 2 young guys not making much more than the minimum then you are saving money so yes it is very easy for me to say in this circumstance. If they are still hard up financially then trade Choo and replace him with a cheap guy.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Providing his shoulder holds up, I still see him ending up at SS and then 3B if/when Andrus is traded and when Beltre is done in a couple years

Andrus has actually recouped quite a bit of value with his solid play thus far, might actually be able to get out from under his contract this offseason, won't get much for him but at least they won't have to pay much, if any, of his contract

I certainly don't see us doing anything with Profar or Odor until Profar proves his shoulder is up to par over a whole season and solid play

Hope your right on that.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of the 2 lineups below the second one is less costly and it includes Prince's contract. There should be no financial difficulties brought on by dumping Prince's contract.

2016 Lineup

C Chirinos/Holaday/Wilson
1B Moreland
2B Odor
3B Beltre
SS Andrus
LF Choo
RF Mazara
CF Desmond
DH Prince

2017 Lineup

C Chirinos/Holaday/Wilson
1B Gallo
2B Profar
3B Beltre
SS Andrus
LF Rua
RF Mazara
CF Brinson/Cordell/DeShields
DH Odor
Prince's Contract

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow.....I'm impressed.

% wise, what'd ya have in mind?

Well even if I ponied up 25%, it still wouldnt make it any harder of a pill to swallow, for the FO. As Ive said before sometimes in business you have to accept that something is a sunk cost and cut your losses. I hate to say it but it most certainly appears that this is the case here. If I'm throwing in cash though, Im gonna need a cut of the "boomstick" sales or something, gotta have something to offset my expenditure

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By silly I was referring to moving him just for the sake of doing so, because there is not really a spot for him to play at the moment. I should also state that I don't think that JD would do that, but with Gallo possibly arriving next year and possibly taking over 1B, or AB sliding over there, it still seems there isn't much of a spot. Unless they can move EA or Prince is moved, which seems highly unlikely, I don't know how we can play all these guys.

If he was traded it would likely have to be for a quality starter, or a boatload of prospects because there isn't much of a spot to play anyone you'd acquire, unless you got an upgrade at catcher I guess. Anyway fun to think about all the possibilities

Actually I understood ya. But I'm the guy who's all for trading anyone at anytime DEPENDING on the opportunity available. ha ha ha

But as far as trades go, if Profar can maintain his health, prove he's capable of hitting with some power, then he should could bring a lot, if JD & Co decide to go this route.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Profar 4, Desmond 8, Mazara 9, Beltre 5, Fielder DH, Rua 7, Moreland 7, Andrus 6, Wilson 2

Much better lineup.

Fielder being in the 5 versus the 3 hole doesn't really improve much IMO, when he was in the 3 hole and had Beltre and Mazara behind him, pitchers at least had to pitch to him for fear of walking him and putting him on base, now with Rua and Moreland, that fear is gone... much ado in the long run really but not really an improvement to me

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you get rid of both Prince and Desmond's contract and you pay 2 young guys not making much more than the minimum then you are saving money so yes it is very easy for me to say in this circumstance. If they are still hard up financially then trade Choo and replace him with a cheap guy.

Considering that Prince still has to be paid no matter what happens, I'm not seeing how the Rangers would be saving any money.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fielder being in the 5 versus the 3 hole doesn't really improve much IMO, when he was in the 3 hole and had Beltre and Mazara behind him, pitchers at least had to pitch to him for fear of walking him and putting him on base, now with Rua and Moreland, that fear is gone... much ado in the long run really but not really an improvement to me

I don't think pitchers "fear" Prince as much as people think. He's not a threat to walk.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think pitchers "fear" Prince as much as people think. He's not a threat to walk.

What I don't get is if prince knows he's struggling, why doesn't he try to draw walks? That would still help the team out some. His approach is still aggressive like he hits .300 and 30 hrs.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering that Prince still has to be paid no matter what happens, I'm not seeing how the Rangers would be saving any money.
Overall the cost of the lineup goes down so dumping him isn't hurting you financially. Even with eating Prince's salary it would be easy to see them actually spending less on the lineup next year. That is all I was saying.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overall the cost of the lineup goes down so dumping him isn't hurting you financially. Even with eating Prince's salary it would be easy to see them actually spending less on the lineup next year. That is all I was saying.

yes but the Rangers are still paying his salary. So while the "on-field" cost may be reduced, that doesn't really benefit or even affect the Rangers actual payroll in any way. Spending less on the lineup doesn't absolve them of paying Prince. Salaries are guaranteed in MLB, unlike the NFL.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you taking into account that we may sign Yu to a large cntract

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im gonna need a cut of the "boomstick" sales or something, gotta have something to offset my expenditure

For sure....after all it's business. ha

But seriously, your point of "sunk cost" is not falling on my deaf ears any longer.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that doesn't really benefit or even affect the Rangers actual payroll in any way.

IMO it benefits us b/c we can field an improved team and the money spent is damn near the same, with or without Prince.

We're not really trying to save money on the payroll are we? Aren't we really trying to play for a tie here?