• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kicker

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Frye is going to cut it. Keep looking.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why cut Brandon if they don’t have a adequate replacement

this is a head scratcher hope it works out.

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McManus at 77 percent wasn't worth 4 million a year, especially with the new kick off rules. He was going to be the 8th highest paid kicker on a team ranked 25th-ish in fgm%.

Add that he wouldn't take a pay cut, so there you have it.
He also had a 92 percent XP conversion percentage last year.

Veteran minimum journeyman can kick 77%.

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McManus at 77 percent wasn't worth 4 million a year, especially with the new kick off rules. He was going to be the 8th highest paid kicker on a team ranked 25th-ish in fgm%.

I agree. That being said, with how pitiful our red zone offense was last year I hope we get a viable guy and not just a journeyman. it would help to get a guy with a decent leg

LGM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. That being said, with how pitiful our red zone offense was last year I hope we get a viable guy and not just a journeyman. it would help to get a guy with a decent leg
Agree. I can see the thinking that a journeyman is ok if all he does is kick extra points and pop flies inside the 25 that prevents a return.

Seriously, If thats the plan and it works, I'm good with it. The thin air adds distance to every kicker there anyway.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Were the broncos over the cap and needed to make room? It is odd to cut your only kicker at this point in the offseason. If you aren't happy with his production, then bring in extra kickers in the offseason to create a competition. One in the hand is worth two in the bush. As I stated in another thread, there was some thought that the Broncos could cut bait on Russ this year but would also have to cut some other veterans to get that cap number down, and the overpriced kicker is always the first to go in that scenario.

If you have the cap for McManus, then keep him because there is no better replacement out there. This move therefore can only hurt the team and cost wins. Is Denver hoping for a better draft pick?

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Get outta here with facts!

LGM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Were the broncos over the cap and needed to make room? It is odd to cut your only kicker at this point in the offseason. If you aren't happy with his production, then bring in extra kickers in the offseason to create a competition. One in the hand is worth two in the bush. As I stated in another thread, there was some thought that the Broncos could cut bait on Russ this year but would also have to cut some other veterans to get that cap number down, and the overpriced kicker is always the first to go in that scenario.

If you have the cap for McManus, then keep him because there is no better replacement out there. This move therefore can only hurt the team and cost wins. Is Denver hoping for a better draft pick?
There's no better kicker than a guy making 4 million to kick 77%, or even 83% the previous year? Top kickers (like he's being paid to be) are in the high 80's low 90's.

Not hating on him, loved the guy. But come on.

It was most likely the pay cut refusal that forced it more than anything.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no better kicker than a guy making 4 million to kick 77%, or even 83% the previous year? Top kickers (like he's being paid to be) are in the high 80's low 90's.

Not hating on him, loved the guy. But come on.

It was most likely the pay cut refusal that forced it more than anything.
Is your argument that you aren't getting enough value from your kicker? Would it be better to save $3 million and get a kicker that makes only 70% of his fg attempts because that is better "bang for your buck"? There was no corresponding move to this release that added value to the team that I know of.

LGM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is your argument that you aren't getting enough value from your kicker? Would it be better to save $3 million and get a kicker that makes only 70% of his fg attempts because that is better "bang for your buck"? There was no corresponding move to this release that added value to the team that I know of.
The fact that its a post June designated cut shows it was mostly for cap space. The value is in having 10 million to sign someone we might need due to depth or injury issues before the season starts.

Obviously my point was not just a cost saving analysis, lets not get silly.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that its a post June designated cut shows it was mostly for cap space. The value is in having 10 million to sign someone we might need due to depth or injury issues before the season starts.

Obviously my point was not just a cost saving analysis, lets not get silly.
The "value" is then unrealized until you sign someone. Wouldn't it make more sense to wait until you find someone of value to add to your roster and then cut McManus?

The only way this makes logical sense to me is that the FO is trying to get closer to the cap floor, because every dollar under the cap limit for 2023 gets carried over to 2024's cap number. This could be critically important if the organization wanted to rid themselves of Russ after this season as they would need every bit of cap space possible to make that happen.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The truth is the brilliance or lack thereof of moving on from McManus will not likely be realized this season. Let's face it, the Broncos are likely at best a 9-8 or 10-7 team whose benchmark for a successful season after being so dismal for so long is a playoff appearance. Appearance. Not even a playoff win, just an appearance. That's how sad things are.

So if that's the benchmark for success, it's not like the team is worried about McManus being the difference maker when the team is training by 2 in the closing ticks of the Super Bowl and the defense has stopped them to set up a 55 yarder to win it. I'm ok with moving on from the guy given his production has dropped off. At the price tag he commanded there's better value to be had by clearing the cap space.

A reliable kicker cannot be overestimated. They have to be clutch and McManus had his moments, but his production didn't match his contract *cough Russell Wilson *cough cough!

I realize that any year any team can execute a Cincinnati Bengals style turnaround and make a Super Bowl run when nobody even expected them to make the playoffs going into the season. I always recognize that possibility but never consider it a probability. With that said, in a year I consider to be transitional for this team, I'm ok with moving on from McManus. Timing and all.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO Frye is a place holder more than place kicker - good kickers can be found during training camps and that's what I expect will happen for the Broncos.

LGM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO Frye is a place holder more than place kicker - good kickers can be found during training camps and that's what I expect will happen for the Broncos.
Yup. Who knows, maybe in the interim Elliott will kick better than 77% for us.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The timing of the move actually makes a lot of sense on two fronts and then not so much on another. On the not so much side of things obviously not having a replacement on hand is difficult, but we have seen teams left and right cut kickers. There are guys on the market that put up better numbers than McManus last season. The reality is after maybe the top-7 kickers or so the rest are replacement level guys. It will be interesting to see how the position plays out, but this is actually pretty normal for Payton. He is not a big fan of the kicking game. He is aggressive and will take chances limiting the impact of a kicker.

Now on the other side of this you have the post June 1st cut which saves the team some money. It especially makes sense when the next day they signed Cam Fleming to be the swing tackle on the team. He was the most consistent OL player for the Broncos last season and with both tackles having some injury history his value could end up much higher than a kicker.

The other big one that hasn't been talked about on here is that McManus was the player rep to the union. He was a very outspoken player and one that rubbed more than one coaching staff the wrong way with him speaking up more than you expect from a kicker. Player reps also are encouraged to tell teammates to skip any of the voluntary workouts of the summer with the team and with a new coaching staff I think this move was to send a signal to the rest of the roster that they won't stand for that.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still don't think our week 1 kicker is on our roster yet. Just saying.