• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kicker

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cartoon Monster GIF by Scooby-Doo

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still don't think our week 1 kicker is on the roster yet. Names to watch out for

Wil Lutz
Dustin Hopkins

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still don't think our week 1 kicker is on the roster yet. Names to watch out for

Wil Lutz
Dustin Hopkins
Just seems crazy after Maher had a good day this past game to then right after have rumors of trades for a kicker start to circulate.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just seems crazy after Maher had a good day this past game to then right after have rumors of trades for a kicker start to circulate.

Well, Maher had a bad game the week before and has been very inconsistent in practice. You know Payton has no tolerance for a shaky kicker. Maher has been shaky all of his career. Guy will hit a few long ones and then miss 3 easy one's in a row. We need better.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Maher had a bad game the week before and has been very inconsistent in practice. You know Payton has no tolerance for a shaky kicker. Maher has been shaky all of his career. Guy will hit a few long ones and then miss 3 easy one's in a row. We need better.
Maher (90.6) had a better FG% last year than Lutz (74.2).

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maher (90.6) had a better FG% last year than Lutz (74.2).

Go look at Maher's XP percentage in the playoffs and his missed FG's There was a reason why the guy was on the free agent market until right before the PS started. His season stats were fine.

He is not dependable at all. He has a great leg. He wasn't sitting on the FA market waiting for more money. The Cowboys started going for two and not even attempting short field goals with the guy. It was that bad. He ended the season horribly bad and it has carried over in practice and in the first game. Could be something mentally, reminds me a bit of John Rocker as a pitcher... Something is off with him.

He missed 4 XP's in a game vs the Buccaneers in the playoffs. Hasn't recovered.

Last edited:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go look at Maher's XP percentage in the playoffs and his missed FG's There was a reason why the guy was on the free agent market until right before the PS started. His season stats were fine.

He is not dependable at all. He has a great leg. He wasn't sitting on the FA market waiting for more money. The Cowboys started going for two and not even attempting short field goals with the guy. It was that bad. He ended the season horribly bad and it has carried over in practice and in the first game. Could be something mentally, reminds me a bit of John Rocker as a pitcher... Something is off with him.

He missed 4 XP's in a game vs the Buccaneers in the playoffs. Hasn't recovered.

The question becomes though are you going to let one really really bad game destroy your view of a player? Because in the playoffs he is 3 of 4 on field goal attempts only missing one from over 50 yards and the other playoff opportunity he had with the Cowboys in 2018 he went 5 for 5 on extra points.

Regular season wise he has 3 of 4 seasons of 80% or better and 2 seasons of 88% or better. Extra points wise he has been a bit hit and miss but went 50 for 53 last season before the playoffs on extra points and in 2019 was a perfect 36 for 36.

So he is definitely a wildcard if the Broncos stick with him and I do worry about whether he is mentally ready after that really bad playoff game, but I think there are definitely a lot worse choices on the market than him.

I honestly understand if they don't go with him and say they do send a 7th round pick to get a kicker they feel better about. I'm torn on Wil Lutz. He has had some outstanding seasons but the last couple of years have been average if not below average for a kicker.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carl,

It has been more then "one bad game", Maher has struggled in our camp. Maher struggled at other teams workouts. He wasn't signed until right before Pre Season because he continues to struggle. This isn't a one game thing. He wasn't sitting around holding out for extra money before signing with a team. He has been struggling.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's like saying the STL Cardinals should have held onto Adam Wainwright one more year because his numbers were better then some P like Jose Papagano the year before when you could see the decline coming fast... But keep the declining player because his numbers were better and ignore the the decline?

and they did. :(

Maher is going into year 10. He will be 34 years old. We can keep him if he is our best option but it is going to be a bumpy ride more then likely. His struggles are more then a game. The problem is we don't have crazy great options at this point when you cut your K after FA and after the draft not long before camp.

Lutz and Hopkins aren't incredible kickers but they are probably better then Maher at this stage. I know we called Randy Bullock back after the last PS game but didn't end up signing him. He is inconsistent too. I am fully expecting us to wait until cuts are made and make a move. Unless suddenly Maher has looked way better the past week or there simply are no other better options. I mean for crying out loud Elliot Fry was signed before Maher was.. We worked Maher out twice before signing him. The first time didn't go so well. The second workout went a little better. He was the best we could do to compete with Fry and both struggled in camp. Maher has the experience and probably a little more comfortable with him right now. We will see if he sticks for week 1 but I wouldn't bet on it. Until then I am going to bite my lip on this topic. He just simply isn't good anymore and we will either move on soon or you guys will find out in time for your own when he starts costing us games.

I don't think he will be around much longer.

Mountain Bronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The obvious solution is Robbie Gould. I know he is 40 but he had a good season last year and has been clutch in the playoffs. He probably wants a pretty good pay day and has said he wants to play for a winning team so he might be waiting things out, but I hope the Broncos have given him a call at least.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carl,

It has been more then "one bad game", Maher has struggled in our camp. Maher struggled at other teams workouts. He wasn't signed until right before Pre Season because he continues to struggle. This isn't a one game thing. He wasn't sitting around holding out for extra money before signing with a team. He has been struggling.

Understand I'm not saying stick with Maher and yes I've heard training camp has been very up and down. I think at this point Broncos would feel good about finding a guy that makes somewhere in the 83-85% of his field goals and is obviously solid on extra points. Maher has been that at times so like I said it would be a risk to stick with him, but with how Wil Lutz has played lately I would say that would be just as big of a risk.

The reality is we are going to have to hope this offense can score TD's and not have to rely on the kicker very often. I would suspect we will see a ton of Sean Payton shouting "We're going for it!" on 4th down plays that seem reasonable.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Understand I'm not saying stick with Maher and yes I've heard training camp has been very up and down. I think at this point Broncos would feel good about finding a guy that makes somewhere in the 83-85% of his field goals and is obviously solid on extra points. Maher has been that at times so like I said it would be a risk to stick with him, but with how Wil Lutz has played lately I would say that would be just as big of a risk.

The reality is we are going to have to hope this offense can score TD's and not have to rely on the kicker very often. I would suspect we will see a ton of Sean Payton shouting "We're going for it!" on 4th down plays that seem reasonable.

4 SHO!

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maher needs a sports psychologist
My wife actually works with athletes. She uses some different techniques/machinery to really help reset the brain and wake up parts that are struggling. Might have to send an email to the Broncos and say she is available.