• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kevin Pillar

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
for Derek Law, Juan Depaula and Alen Hanson.

Discuss.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another very FZ move. Incremental improvement.

Not a game changer, but a small improvement. I guess he'd seen enough of Reed.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$6M this year, arb controlled next year.

And it doesn't feel like we gave up a ton for him.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another very FZ move. Incremental improvement.

Not a game changer, but a small improvement. I guess he'd seen enough of Reed.
My thoughts too. I don’t know or think it will happen, but the thought of Pillar/Duggar/Parra outfield at Oracle, however that shakes out, is pretty fun to think about. Reminds me of the 2014 Royals. Everything that was hit to the OF that wasn’t on the ground or wasn’t over the fence was caught.

Don’t like his age, but we didn’t give up much of anything either that I know of.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From SFGiants.com

Pillar, 30, will likely shift to the corner outfield with the Giants and occasionally back up Duggar in center field, giving San Francisco an elite defensive tandem that will be able to cover plenty of ground at Oracle Park. A lifetime .260/.297/.396 hitter, Pillar has recorded 63 Defensive Runs Saved over his career and is known for his highlight-reel grabs. He is under club control through the 2020 season.

A righty. Check

Good to great defense. Check

Arb control until after the 2020 season. Check

Has some power. Check

Has some SB speed. Check

Great OBP. Well, uh, er, uncheck.

I like it. Solid pickup.

Also this from Baggs:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am meh-plus on this trade. Giving up de Paula kinda sucks, but is not a needle-mover. Hanson and Law were fillers at best at this point, so zero value.

But why pick up MLB-level talent for this year?

This outfield should be fun to watch defensively, though. GG-level players at all 3 spots.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here comes Mr. Grumpy-pants.

I don't like it. His bat is rather mediocre and has been getting worse. Hitting at Oracle isn't going to help him.

His defense, from my understanding, took quite a hit backward.

Why give up so soon on Reed? Yeah, he looked awful in his 2 or 3 games, but that's just 2 to 3 games! Reed came in to replace guys I wanted to see start. Reed needed to play for a month, in my opinion, to see what he had.

Law and Hanson are mehs but DePaula is a bit frustrating to see gone. He had some good potential. Another guy that the org gave up on too soon.

Dumb trade. This team isn't going anywhere and Pillar is gone by the end of 2020. What's the point?

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't like it. His bat is rather mediocre and has been getting worse. Hitting at Oracle isn't going to help him.

Why give up so soon on Reed? Yeah, he looked awful in his 2 or 3 games, but that's just 2 to 3 games! Reed came in to replace guys I wanted to see start. Reed needed to play for a month, in my opinion, to see what he had.

Law and Hanson are mehs but DePaula is a bit frustrating to see gone. He had some good potential. Another guy that the org gave up on too soon.

Dumb trade. This team isn't going anywhere and Pillar is gone by the end of 2020. What's the point?

FZ has been given a weekly quota of moves/trades, and this fulfills this week's quota. Maybe.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thoughts too. I don’t know or think it will happen, but the thought of Pillar/Duggar/Parra outfield at Oracle, however that shakes out, is pretty fun to think about. Reminds me of the 2014 Royals. Everything that was hit to the OF that wasn’t on the ground or wasn’t over the fence was caught.

Don’t like his age, but we didn’t give up much of anything either that I know of.

DePaula is one of those wild power arms in the low minors. Once in a great while, they become effective ML pitchers. He was what the Jays wanted. Hanson and Law were filler.

I like the trade. Especially on April 2. FZ is working.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am meh-plus on this trade. Giving up de Paula kinda sucks, but is not a needle-mover. Hanson and Law were fillers at best at this point, so zero value.

This outfield should be fun to watch defensively, though. GG-level players at all 3 spots.

More proof that you are all my alts.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Because why not? We aren't tanking.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's 30, not an age when an elite defender tends to decline. And I do mean ELITE. Best OF we've had since.....Mays. Better than Hambone, Shinjo, Lewis. I suspect you haven't really seen him play.

His defensive numbers were down last year, but you absolutely cannot look at one year on defensive metrics...he's probably still elite. At worst he's very good. The point is that he's a legit ML fourth OF. Reed was not.

We are better. Probably 2-3 wins better. This is how you build a ballclub.

jeep99tj

If you don’t agree with me, don’t talk to me.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 224.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's 30, not an age when an elite defender tends to decline. And I do mean ELITE. Best OF we've had since.....Mays. Better than Hambone, Shinjo, Lewis. I suspect you haven't really seen him play.

His defensive numbers were down last year, but you absolutely cannot look at one year on defensive metrics...he's probably still elite. At worst he's very good. The point is that he's a legit ML fourth OF. Reed was not.

I agree with this. Take advantage of an opportunity to get better.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So this trade brings us from 68 to 70 wins?

Sweet! 10 more of these and we will be a 90 win team!!

jeep99tj

If you don’t agree with me, don’t talk to me.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 224.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Baby steps Cal, baby steps. There’s still 157 games to go.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baby steps Cal, baby steps. There’s still 157 games to go.
I like the trade... ish.

We didn’t give up much. De Paula is a lottery ticket and the other guys have zero value.

I am just not sure why any assets (de Paula) are being spent to improve 2019. From a baseball standpoint. From a business standpoint, I totally get it. And defensively, this OF will be fun to watch.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, I had us around 80 wins. So now it's 82ish. We're better and headed in the right direction.