• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kevin Pillar

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahhh...understood.

My bullshit critique was to the idea of "wasting" pitching. It's not wasted IMO.

It is odd that we never talk about a team "wasting" offense, just pitching.

FWIW, I agree that our staff is probably playoff caliber.
We've never had a good enough offense to waste with bad pitching. Kinda goes with the park. Maybe 2002?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does a rainbow post mean? I get a lot of those.....
I kinda mean it to say the post is too kumbaya or really ghey.

But yeah. I am not 100% sure what it is supposed to mean.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kinda mean it to say the post is too kumbaya or really ghey.

But yeah. I am not 100% sure what it is supposed to mean.
In the spirit of diversity and inclusion, I’m going to make it my own. I think people are saying that my posts are the gold at the end of the rainbow.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the spirit of diversity and inclusion, I’m going to make it my own. I think people are saying that my posts are the gold at the end of the rainbow.
Bless your heart...

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FZ has been given a weekly quota of moves/trades, and this fulfills this week's quota. Maybe.

Does the acquisition of Tyler Austin and the DFA'ing of Connor Joe mean that he has now reached his limit for the month?

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was a bit shocked that the Gs had done a reverse McCovey/Cepeda trade (acquiring a 2nd full-time 1B), but ...

Pros:
- Austin *kills* LHP, so he may end up being "RHB off the bench" as well as platoon-mate for Belt.
- Belt can get regular rest (his chronic problem has been injuries)
- Austin is 'captive' for *five* years
- Austin makes Belt 'expendable' - hopefully Belt has a career year and gets traded for top prospects in July

Cons:
- the OF defense is going to suffer whenever both of them are in the starting lineup, especially in PacBell
- showing no respect to the players (treating them like chips in a game) is going to have an effect down the line
- (ostinato) it sucks that Connor Joe (the latest in a long line this year) got DFA'd after such a short tryout

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was a bit shocked that the Gs had done a reverse McCovey/Cepeda trade (acquiring a 2nd full-time 1B), but ...

Pros:
- Austin *kills* LHP, so he may end up being "RHB off the bench" as well as platoon-mate for Belt.
- Belt can get regular rest (his chronic problem has been injuries)
- Austin is 'captive' for *five* years
- Austin makes Belt 'expendable' - hopefully Belt has a career year and gets traded for top prospects in July

Cons:
- the OF defense is going to suffer whenever both of them are in the starting lineup, especially in PacBell
- showing no respect to the players (treating them like chips in a game) is going to have an effect down the line
- (ostinato) it sucks that Connor Joe (the latest in a long line this year) got DFA'd after such a short tryout
I applaud your last two points. Although I'm sure that there will be those who will argue that FZ did this with the Dodgers and it didn't matter, they still made the WS two years a in row. My pre-emptive counterpoint is that FZ did this with the back end of the roster that was already built to win. Doing this to a "non-rebuilding, just re-loading" roster can have a very different outcome.
And I do think that Austin could make Belt expendable but there are a couple of problems with that. First, Austin has to show he can hit at Oracle (better than Belt because his defense is going to require more offense to break even with Belt's abilities). Second, Belt needs regular playing time, both to put the numbers up that make him attractive and to have another team be willing to give the maximum value in return. Otherwise, he's viewed by other teams as a bench/platoon piece and we won't get much of anything in return.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Austin could simply start against LHP, and the be the RHB off the bench. That will give Belt plenty of playing time AND maximize Austin's effect against LH pitching.

And 'resting' Belt really isn't going to 'preserve' him, especially early in the season. IIRC most of his injuries were actual injuries (HBP, fouling ball off self, hyperextended right knee, pulled groin muscles, etc). He isn't getting hurt because of 'fatigue' (although the last two might have some vague basis that season-long fatigue contributed).

jeep99tj

If you don’t agree with me, don’t talk to me.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 224.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He never should have got that first hit.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Austin could simply start against LHP, and the be the RHB off the bench. That will give Belt plenty of playing time AND maximize Austin's effect against LH pitching.

And 'resting' Belt really isn't going to 'preserve' him, especially early in the season. IIRC most of his injuries were actual injuries (HBP, fouling ball off self, hyperextended right knee, pulled groin muscles, etc). He isn't getting hurt because of 'fatigue' (although the last two might have some vague basis that season-long fatigue contributed).
Is Austin at 1st base and Belt in left really a better defensive set up than Belt at 1st base and Austin in left? I ask because I'd rather see Belt get ABs against lefties. He's hit them well in the past (until 2017) and, if he can re-establish that ability in 2019, he'll have some good value. Austin's numbers against lefties are tremendous, so I definitely want to see him in the lineup on those days.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here comes Mr. Grumpy-pants.

I don't like it. His bat is rather mediocre and has been getting worse. Hitting at Oracle isn't going to help him.

His defense, from my understanding, took quite a hit backward.

Why give up so soon on Reed? Yeah, he looked awful in his 2 or 3 games, but that's just 2 to 3 games! Reed came in to replace guys I wanted to see start. Reed needed to play for a month, in my opinion, to see what he had.

Law and Hanson are mehs but DePaula is a bit frustrating to see gone. He had some good potential. Another guy that the org gave up on too soon.

Dumb trade. This team isn't going anywhere and Pillar is gone by the end of 2020. What's the point?

Well THAT take didn't age well...

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's 30, not an age when an elite defender tends to decline. And I do mean ELITE. Best OF we've had since.....Mays. Better than Hambone, Shinjo, Lewis. I suspect you haven't really seen him play.

His defensive numbers were down last year, but you absolutely cannot look at one year on defensive metrics...he's probably still elite. At worst he's very good. The point is that he's a legit ML fourth OF. Reed was not.

We are better. Probably 2-3 wins better. This is how you build a ballclub.

Bump. Excellent job, me.

:kev:

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bump. Excellent job, me.

:kev:

Let's see if he keeps it up. He's still hitting like Mendoza, just that every hit leaves the yard LOL