• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kevin Love Plans To Opt In For Next Season

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wiggins is going to be awesome- so is Parker too-

do you think Love walks away from the most money and best chance to win to go- say- play with the Knicks? or Lakers?- two teams that even with him- could not get past either with the knicks- the Cavs in the East- or with the Lakers- the other teams out West?

I mean- say NY for example- he goes and plays with Melo. -especially after talking to Jr Smith and Shumpert- and seeing LeBron and Kyrie- how could he ever hope to win a title? Do I think Love would basically turn down more money and admit to himself he is not going to win a title- in order to get more shots NY?

I dont know- Love is taking about 5 less shots per game in Cleveland than Minnesota where he was the man. IF he stays, gets more integrated in the offense, and more aggressive, (and more healthy) he could easily take that down to 3 less shots per game next season.

Its just so hard for me to believe a guy gives up money and the best shot to win for 3-4 shots a game!

Its a weird situation though in that- I am very surprised Blatt has not done more to get Love involved- but every time i say that- i also see how Love has had back issues- so what is it? Is it Loves back issues? or is it Blatt not trusting him that has limited him in some ways?

I dont know the answer to that- its so odd because teams usually bend over backwards to accomodate star free-agents-to-be and the Cavs really have not bent over backwards for Love.

Question of whether a coaching change might be beneficial at some point? Coach Cal at Kentucky would take this job in an instant- i guarantee you.......

Honestly, Love is an enigma. I don't know enough about his personality to say.

He seems like a fish out of water there.

But, by all accounts, he's that way everywhere.

So, no...

I can only see him leaving under 3 conditions:

1. He has a significant blowup with Lebron/Kyrie/Blatt * if it's Blatt they'd probably fire him *

2. The Cavs lowball him and don't come with the max

3. The Cavs get curb-stomped in the playoffs and the Knicks/Lakers/Celtics add a *significant player by trade or free agent signing and offer him a max deal as well.

* Marc Gasol

I don't think we will see as many guys pass on deals this summer for 2016,

DeAndre Jordan already said he's not.

I don't think Aldridge, Rondo, Dragic or Gasol will either.

Love hasn't looked spectacular. So, time will tell.

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited by a moderator:

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus, some of the outlets that are posting these " rumors" are in cities that are in desperate need of Love's services..* coughs N.Y. *

I don't think it's all smoke because there are obviously issues.

But, I don't think he's dead set on leaving.

If they win a ring, he won't leave.

....Here is a snippet from a lovely piece from yesterday's NY Daily News.

Love is viewed by some as aloof player who alienated teammates in Minnesota and is now doing the same in Cleveland. More troubling is that Love has struggled in his reduced role even while the Cavs will likely finish with the second best record in the Eastern Conference and are the odds on favorite to reach the Finals.

Being a third option never seemed to be an issue with the great Lakers, Celtics and Bulls championship teams. James Worthy was a perennial All Star playing alongside Magic Johnson and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili never obsess over being the second or third guy behind Tim Duncan.

And most recently, Chris Bosh willingly accepted his new role in Miami with LeBron and Dwyane Wade and was rewarded with four straight trips to the NBA Finals and two championships.

But in Cleveland, where LeBron is still LeBron and Kyrie Irving has blossomed into one of the league's top point guards, Love is the outsider.

Love's next move may depend on how the Cavs fare in May and June. But if you read the tea leaves, or in this case LeBron's tweets, Love may be leaving as fast as you can say "Andrew Wiggins."

But several sources close to the situation in Cleveland claim that LeBron has tried to make it work but that he's frustrated by Love's inability and in some ways unwillingness to get with the program. Remember, LeBron pushed the Cavs to trade Wiggins to the Timberwolves to acquire Love, who could be one and done in Cleveland.

That could be a positive development for the Knicks. Or just a warning sign.

Isola: Rift with LeBron could drive Love to join Knicks - NY Daily News

Not sure that I agree with the bold. I think that the Cavs losing in the finals is the most likely scenario for him to return. If they don't even reach the finals, he may leave because the whole point of being there and allowing himself to be the 3rd wheel is to at least get to the finals.

If the Cavs win the title, it's mission accomplished for him because he'll have his ring.

But if they make the finals and lose? Now he has incentive to come back and try to finish what was started.

Right now, I'd put it at 75% that he stays in Cleveland. However, if his role continues as is (standing in the corner waiting to shoot 3's and sitting in the 4th quarter), then I think the chances of him staying in Cleveland drop.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Dashing the hopes of fans in LA and NY" is a stretch. I feel good about the Lakers moving forward.

I'm honestly not sure how interested the Lakers are in Love anymore. I know they are high on Randle. Unfortunately, with him being out for the season, they didn't get a chance to see if they have what they think they have or not. Also, there's the possibility of going after other bigs in the draft or FA.

I expect that the Lakers will make an offer, but I don't think they'll be as desperate to get him as they would if they didn't have Randle and/or there weren't other quality bigs (some of whom actually play defense) for them to go after.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
say Kevin Love stays in Cleveland one more year and hits the free agent market the year that salaries go way up -and the max contract will probably be about 30 million

do you REALLY want to give Kevin Love 5 years like 130 million for his year 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 years?

I dont know the answer to that question- but his back worries me for the long term.

its a very interesting question.

Is Love a true #1 and is he likely to stay healthy? I really do not know the answers to those questions

A true #1? I don't think so. But he can make a damn nice #2 if his skillset is used properly. I honestly don't think that his issues in Cleveland are as much about Lebron, Kyrie or Blatt as they are about him essentially being turned into a one trick pony.

When Bosh teamed up with Lebron and D-Wade, he knew his stats would take a bit of a hit and they did. His scoring average dropped about 5 points per game.

Love's average has dropped about 10 points per game. That's big. Especially since Cleveland isn't exactly making use of his ability to play in the post and rebound. As I said in another post, they are using about 1/3 of his skillset.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just for kicks- LeBron this year has played 2247 minutes which is good for 26th in the league.

last year he was 8th in the league, 16th the year before, 10th the year before that, 6th the year before that.
A true #1? I don't think so. But he can make a damn nice #2 if his skillset is used properly. I honestly don't think that his issues in Cleveland are as much about Lebron, Kyrie or Blatt as they are about him essentially being turned into a one trick pony.

When Bosh teamed up with Lebron and D-Wade, he knew his stats would take a bit of a hit and they did. His scoring average dropped about 5 points per game.

Love's average has dropped about 10 points per game. That's big. Especially since Cleveland isn't exactly making use of his ability to play in the post and rebound. As I said in another post, they are using about 1/3 of his skillset.

A WAAAA? not making the most of his ability to rebound? hes like one of 10 or so guys in the league with double digit rebounds!!! now Bosh? yah- he stopped rebounding and got afraid of contact- he averaged LESS THAN 7 last year- i mean holy shit - but Love? PUH LEAZE!!!

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just for kicks- LeBron this year has played 2247 minutes which is good for 26th in the league.

last year he was 8th in the league, 16th the year before, 10th the year before that, 6th the year before that.

A WAAAA? not making the most of his ability to rebound? hes like one of 10 or so guys in the league with double digit rebounds!!! now Bosh? yah- he stopped rebounding and got afraid of contact- he averaged LESS THAN 7 last year- i mean holy shit - but Love? PUH LEAZE!!!

He's also never missed so many games. Of course he's played less minutes.
His MPG at one point this year was top 3 in the league.
Please don't act like on most nights that hes not the one doing the heavy lifting.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm honestly not sure how interested the Lakers are in Love anymore. I know they are high on Randle. Unfortunately, with him being out for the season, they didn't get a chance to see if they have what they think they have or not. Also, there's the possibility of going after other bigs in the draft or FA.

I expect that the Lakers will make an offer, but I don't think they'll be as desperate to get him as they would if they didn't have Randle and/or there weren't other quality bigs (some of whom actually play defense) for them to go after.

I agree. Randle coming back next year and the emergence of Jordan Clarkson, the steal of the draft, makes the future a lot brighter in my opinion.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He means Cleveland isn't making the most of Love's ability period, not just rebounding, by how they are playing him. Love is a post player that can hit 3s a pretty good clip. Cleveland is trying to make him a 3 point shooter that sometimes goes down low. There's a big difference. The most recent best example of this is Pau Gasol and Mike D'Antoni. Gasol is a very gifted post player, but for some dumbass reason, D'Antoni kept trying to play him out of the post, parking him along the 3 point line to just stand around and wait for the ball. Gasol's numbers tanked. People shat all over him thinking he was soft or washed up. Now Gasol is in Chicago back playing in the post where his skillset is best utilized. Guess what? He's back to putting up all star numbers this year. The same will happen with Love. Once Cleveland, or some other team, actually starts using him properly, his game will open up a lot more and he'll be more comfortable.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He means Cleveland isn't making the most of Love's ability period, not just rebounding, by how they are playing him. Love is a post player that can hit 3s a pretty good clip. Cleveland is trying to make him a 3 point shooter that sometimes goes down low. There's a big difference. The most recent best example of this is Pau Gasol and Mike D'Antoni. Gasol is a very gifted post player, but for some dumbass reason, D'Antoni kept trying to play him out of the post, parking him along the 3 point line to just stand around and wait for the ball. Gasol's numbers tanked. People shat all over him thinking he was soft or washed up. Now Gasol is in Chicago back playing in the post where his skillset is best utilized. Guess what? He's back to putting up all star numbers this year. The same will happen with Love. Once Cleveland, or some other team, actually starts using him properly, his game will open up a lot more and he'll be more comfortable.

100% spot on. Hopefully Wiggy will grasp it now that you spelled it out for him.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100% spot on. Hopefully Wiggy will grasp it now that you spelled it out for him.

No.

He will simply come back with " Love is the best stretch 4 in the Nba" and completely ignore the fact that Love has said repeatedly " I am not, nor do I want to be, a stretch 4 ".

The Cavs have turned one of the best pf's in the league into....... Andrea Bargnani.

I was gonna say Toni Kukoc. But, Tony actually contributed to the outcome of most games.

Love is just.....there some nights.

It's befuddling.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure that I agree with the bold. I think that the Cavs losing in the finals is the most likely scenario for him to return. If they don't even reach the finals, he may leave because the whole point of being there and allowing himself to be the 3rd wheel is to at least get to the finals.

If the Cavs win the title, it's mission accomplished for him because he'll have his ring.

But if they make the finals and lose? Now he has incentive to come back and try to finish what was started.

Right now, I'd put it at 75% that he stays in Cleveland. However, if his role continues as is (standing in the corner waiting to shoot 3's and sitting in the 4th quarter), then I think the chances of him staying in Cleveland drop.

* See last years Lebron James

Sorry Heat fans...

But, losing was his excuse to leave.

Kevin can easily say " the sacrifice of my game was worth it to win, because winning is all that matters. We didn't, I'm out. "

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No.

He will simply come back with " Love is the best stretch 4 in the Nba" and completely ignore the fact that Love has said repeatedly " I am not, nor do I want to be, a stretch 4 ".

The Cavs have turned one of the best pf's in the league into....... Andrea Bargnani.

I was gonna say Toni Kukoc. But, Tony actually contributed to the outcome of most games.

Love is just.....there some nights.

It's befuddling.

:lol: You're probably right about Wiggy.

It really is befuddling. If the Cavs were using all of Love's skills, it would actually make things a lot easier on Lebron and Kyrie. You'd think that Lebron's acknowledgement that he's put a lot of miles on his body (the 2 week vacay for "general soreness") would have been a great opportunity to enhance Love's role.

For whatever reason, the Cavs didn't do that.

Question: Given how things have gone with Love and how good Wiggins has looked, if you're the Cavs and you're offered a "do over", Do you still make that trade?

Last edited:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
* See last years Lebron James

Sorry Heat fans...

But, losing was his excuse to leave.

Kevin can easily say " the sacrifice of my game was worth it to win, because winning is all that matters. We didn't, I'm out. "

Good point. I'd say that the only difference would be that, by that time, Lebron already had 2 rings and felt like he now knew how to win a title. Do you think that if he had been in Love's position and able to opt out after his first season in Miami, would he have come back to "finish what was started" or moved on?

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lol: You're probably right about that.

It really is. If the Cavs were using all of Love's skills, it would actually make things a lot easier on Lebron and Kyrie. You'd think that Lebron's acknowledgement that he's put a lot of miles on his body (the 2 week vacay for "general soreness") would have been a great opportunity to enhance Love's role.

For whatever reason, the Cavs didn't do that.

Question: Given how things have gone with Love and how good Wiggins has looked, if you're the Cavs and you're offered a "do over", Do you still make that trade?

Without knowing the future? Yes.

They were built to win now and I thought Wiggins would need a few years.

He didn't.

He only needed half a Season and you can already see it.

STUD.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without knowing the future? Yes.

They were built to win now and I thought Wiggins would need a few years.

He didn't.

He only needed half a Season and you can already see it.

STUD.

Yeah, hindsight is always 20/20. Kind of why I laugh at people who claim how terrible the Lakers getting Nash and Howard was.

I will say though that I will take a certain amount of twisted pleasure if Love signs with someone else after this season (especially if the Cavs don't win the title). They will have given up Wiggins for nothing and Wiggy's meltdown would be epic.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point. I'd say that the only difference would be that, by that time, Lebron already had 2 rings and felt like he now knew how to win a title. Do you think that if he had been in Love's position and able to opt out after his first season in Miami, would he have come back to "finish what was started" or moved on?

Yeah, you are correct.

He would have stayed.

I don't think he's leaving unless he just flat out HATES Lebron.

or

Unless this is true....*throws up in mouth *

Windhorst talked about Love and Westbrook’s relationship because Love recently said his former UCLA teammate was having a better season than LeBron James when the MVP race was discussed on the Dan Patrick Show. Windhorst said the following, around the 37;48 mark of the podcast: “Love enjoys Westbrook. they have a relationship. there’s a conspiracy theory that exists out there that Kevin Love will go to the Lakers this summer, or next summer, and then Westbrook will join him when he’s a free agent, and they will reunite in LA, like they played for UCLA. The guy, the star player he has the best relationship in the league with is Westbrook.” Factory of Sadness -

Conspiracy theories are fun when my Team isn't involved....lol

PS. Another Windhorst quote who Russ says is a legit source.

Brian Windhorst Talks Kevin Love, Russell Westbrook & Lakers

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kevin Love Plans To Opt In For Next Season

Dashing the hopes of fans in NY & LA.
Not really - Besides the fact that there are going to be many other free agents to choose from, I'm not really a big fan of Love. He is a really good player if the Lakers could get him in the 10 to 12 million range, but at 16 to max I think he is very highly over-paid. The Lakers should have Randle back and hopefully a good first round next season, Clarkson is looking to be the next point guard and a pretty good one, so the Lakers are in the process of rebuilding their team and making it look attractive to that one free agent or two that they need to become relevent

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, you are correct.

He would have stayed.

I don't think he's leaving unless he just flat out HATES Lebron.

or

Unless this is true....*throws up in mouth *

Windhorst talked about Love and Westbrook’s relationship because Love recently said his former UCLA teammate was having a better season than LeBron James when the MVP race was discussed on the Dan Patrick Show. Windhorst said the following, around the 37;48 mark of the podcast: “Love enjoys Westbrook. they have a relationship. there’s a conspiracy theory that exists out there that Kevin Love will go to the Lakers this summer, or next summer, and then Westbrook will join him when he’s a free agent, and they will reunite in LA, like they played for UCLA. The guy, the star player he has the best relationship in the league with is Westbrook.” Factory of Sadness -

Conspiracy theories are fun when my Team isn't involved....lol

PS. Another Windhorst quote who Russ says is a legit source.

Brian Windhorst Talks Kevin Love, Russell Westbrook & Lakers

It's not a theory, it's happening. I spoke with Nostradamus last night and he told me Love is signing with the Lakers this summer. OKC sees what's happening with Durant's foot and contract situation and doesn't think they can keep him. But instead of building around Westbrook, they blow up EVERYTHING and go full Philly mode. LA offers Randle and this year's lottery pick (which lands in the Top 3) in a multi team trade that gets Westbrook back in return. LA builds around Westbrook, Love and Clarkson. OKC starts fresh with all youngsters and draft picks. And Durant ends up in Houston with good buddy Harden. I couldn't believe it either but old Nostradamus hasn't been wrong before.