• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kevin Love Plans To Opt In For Next Season

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kevin Love has gone on record many times saying he isn't going anywhere... those incidents just don't get as much attention as the "we're not best friends" comment and the where-is-love instagram photos.

I can't blame anyone for doubting what he says, but for the record, he's never said anything other than that he's coming back.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kevin Love has gone on record many times saying he isn't going anywhere... those incidents just don't get as much attention as the "we're not best friends" comment and the where-is-love instagram photos.

I can't blame anyone for doubting what he says, but for the record, he's never said anything other than that he's coming back.

I believe he has said he 'plans' to be be there... maybe he will, maybe he won't.
I personally feel he stays there for at least 1 more year for the simple reason that the 2016 max contracts are the goal of a lot of players.

Anyway, James said last Feb 18

Asked by interviewer Steve Smith whether he can picture himself being anywhere else, James did not seem to hesitate before answering.

"At this point, I can't," James said.

So, take anything SAID as a grain of salt.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe he has said he 'plans' to be be there... maybe he will, maybe he won't.
I personally feel he stays there for at least 1 more year for the simple reason that the 2016 max contracts are the goal of a lot of players.

Anyway, James said last Feb 18

Asked by interviewer Steve Smith whether he can picture himself being anywhere else, James did not seem to hesitate before answering.

"At this point, I can't," James said.

So, take anything SAID as a grain of salt.

I agree. It would be incredibly stupid for Love to say "I'm outta here asap" because of the issues it would cause among his teammates and Cavs fans.

I'm sure that on Feb. 18, Lebron couldn't see himself anywhere but Miami. However, he also didn't know that Gilbert was going to hand over the franchise to him.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love DEFINITELY opts out even IF he plans to stay with the Cavs.

There is absolutely zero reason for him to "opt in" and take a 1 year 16M dollar contract- when he can get a 1 year 20M dollar contract- or a 1 year contract for 20M with a 1 year player option at 20M to protect himself- or just the 5 year deal.

Whatever happens- its GUARANTEED that Love becomes a free agent.

I have no clue what is actually going to happen to be honest.

After watching this season do I think Love is worth 5 years like 28 million a year, which is what he could get if he waited until next offseason?

I dunno man......He is 26 and has missed games with a bad back......Do I want the Cavs to keep him? Definitely- but at what price and how many years?

Its a really tough question.....A lot depends on how they do in the post season too

but one thing is guaranteed- he opts out- even if its only to resign a 1 year deal at a higher dollar figure with the Cavs.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LeBron is not going anywhere. Especially with Kyrie signed for 5 years at like 15/16 million a year. Once the TV deal kicks in Kyrie is going to be one of the great bargains in the entire league- and the guy is going to make the all start team from here until he starts declining- which, since he just turns 23 this month- wont be for a long time.

LeBron LOVES playing with a real point guard and a real center for the first time in his career- and that he does not have to carry the load and be the best player on the floor every night.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LeBron is not going anywhere. Especially with Kyrie signed for 5 years at like 15/16 million a year. Once the TV deal kicks in Kyrie is going to be one of the great bargains in the entire league- and the guy is going to make the all start team from here until he starts declining- which, since he just turns 23 this month- wont be for a long time.

LeBron LOVES playing with a real point guard and a real center for the first time in his career- and that he does not have to carry the load and be the best player on the floor every night.

Please stop with that bullshit.
You act it was all LeBron here for 4 years.
Yes, he was our overall best player but:

He certainly wasn't our best player in the Finals year 1. If he even plays near his season averages, the Heat win.

Season 2, he was a monster, but he still had plenty of help.
Season 3 ends with another losing Finals for him if Ray Allen isn't on the roster.

Then last year, they just ran into a buzz saw which included the Finals MVP. The guy James couldn't stop.

James basically changed the entire path of his carreer because the Spurs destroyed us for 3 games.
Let's not forget, after game 2, almost everyone was picking the Heat to win the series.

Next, you aren't even considering that James requires all other players to play a game which most benefits HIM. Of course he should be the most successful.

Had he have stayed, he might very we'll be surrounded by a better PG in Dragic and a far better center in Whiteside.
He had no clue what Riley could have done, anymore then he knew what players the Cavs would trade for this mid season.

Botton line is he let the Devil sell his soul to him which gave him the total control that he wants in every situation.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please stop with that bullshit.
You act it was all LeBron here for 4 years.
Yes, he was our overall best player but:

He certainly wasn't our best player in the Finals year 1. If he even plays near his season averages, the Heat win.

Season 2, he was a monster, but he still had plenty of help.
Season 3 ends with another losing Finals for him if Ray Allen isn't on the roster.

Then last year, they just ran into a buzz saw which included the Finals MVP. The guy James couldn't stop.

James basically changed the entire path of his carreer because the Spurs destroyed us for 3 games.
Let's not forget, after game 2, almost everyone was picking the Heat to win the series.

Next, you aren't even considering that James requires all other players to play a game which most benefits HIM. Of course he should be the most successful.

Had he have stayed, he might very we'll be surrounded by a better PG in Dragic and a far better center in Whiteside.
He had no clue what Riley could have done, anymore then he knew what players the Cavs would trade for this mid season.

Botton line is he let the Devil sell his soul to him which gave him the total control that he wants in every situation.

your own words

"dan gilbert is a joke and is an idiot for even thinking LeBron would come back to Cleveland"

lol....

And please- Kyrie Irving is playing better than Dwade did last year. Not only playing better- but he also did not miss nearly THIRTY (30) games.

Not only that- but it should be very interesting to see what happens in the playoffs. We all know that Dwade ran outta gas and LeBron was basically on his own against the Spurs. Who knows what will happen- but i doubt Kyrie just totally lets LeBron down like Wade did last year. -ESPECIALLY since Wade sat out near 30 games in order to be fresh for the playoffs- and STILL could not keep it together all the way through.

And please- if LEbron is there- they would not have a chance to get Dragic salary wise- anyone who has even half a clue about the salary cap knows that.

Not only that- but if LeBron is in Miami this year- Bosh would not be avaliable- and with the wretched bench they have- LeBron would have to basically play the best he has ever played in his career for the team to even have a shot.

This Cavs team is deeper and more talented than last years Miami team- there is no doubt about that- the only thing Miami would have had going is continuity- something the Cavs are starting to put together

so please...get real...LeBron would have had a wasted season in Miami- and the Heat are not magically going to get better as Wade and Bosh only get older.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Dashing the hopes of fans in LA and NY" is a stretch. I feel good about the Lakers moving forward.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Dashing the hopes of fans in LA and NY" is a stretch. I feel good about the Lakers moving forward.

say Kevin Love stays in Cleveland one more year and hits the free agent market the year that salaries go way up -and the max contract will probably be about 30 million

do you REALLY want to give Kevin Love 5 years like 130 million for his year 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 years?

I dont know the answer to that question- but his back worries me for the long term.

its a very interesting question.

Is Love a true #1 and is he likely to stay healthy? I really do not know the answers to those questions

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Plus, some of the outlets that are posting these " rumors" are in cities that are in desperate need of Love's services..* coughs N.Y. *

I don't think it's all smoke because there are obviously issues.

But, I don't think he's dead set on leaving.

If they win a ring, he won't leave.

....Here is a snippet from a lovely piece from yesterday's NY Daily News.

Love is viewed by some as aloof player who alienated teammates in Minnesota and is now doing the same in Cleveland. More troubling is that Love has struggled in his reduced role even while the Cavs will likely finish with the second best record in the Eastern Conference and are the odds on favorite to reach the Finals.

Being a third option never seemed to be an issue with the great Lakers, Celtics and Bulls championship teams. James Worthy was a perennial All Star playing alongside Magic Johnson and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili never obsess over being the second or third guy behind Tim Duncan.

And most recently, Chris Bosh willingly accepted his new role in Miami with LeBron and Dwyane Wade and was rewarded with four straight trips to the NBA Finals and two championships.

But in Cleveland, where LeBron is still LeBron and Kyrie Irving has blossomed into one of the league's top point guards, Love is the outsider.

Love's next move may depend on how the Cavs fare in May and June. But if you read the tea leaves, or in this case LeBron's tweets, Love may be leaving as fast as you can say "Andrew Wiggins."

But several sources close to the situation in Cleveland claim that LeBron has tried to make it work but that he's frustrated by Love's inability and in some ways unwillingness to get with the program. Remember, LeBron pushed the Cavs to trade Wiggins to the Timberwolves to acquire Love, who could be one and done in Cleveland.

That could be a positive development for the Knicks. Or just a warning sign.

Isola: Rift with LeBron could drive Love to join Knicks - NY Daily News

RazorsEdge

Go Local Sports Team
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,626.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if Cleveland puts a ring on it this year that could sway his decision one way or the other, but it wouldn't make much sense for him to be the opt out guy right now when a possible championship is on the horizon.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
your own words

"dan gilbert is a joke and is an idiot for even thinking LeBron would come back to Cleveland"

lol....

And please- Kyrie Irving is playing better than Dwade did last year. Not only playing better- but he also did not miss nearly THIRTY (30) games.

Not only that- but it should be very interesting to see what happens in the playoffs. We all know that Dwade ran outta gas and LeBron was basically on his own against the Spurs. Who knows what will happen- but i doubt Kyrie just totally lets LeBron down like Wade did last year. -ESPECIALLY since Wade sat out near 30 games in order to be fresh for the playoffs- and STILL could not keep it together all the way through.

And please- if LEbron is there- they would not have a chance to get Dragic salary wise- anyone who has even half a clue about the salary cap knows that.

Not only that- but if LeBron is in Miami this year- Bosh would not be avaliable- and with the wretched bench they have- LeBron would have to basically play the best he has ever played in his career for the team to even have a shot.

This Cavs team is deeper and more talented than last years Miami team- there is no doubt about that- the only thing Miami would have had going is continuity- something the Cavs are starting to put together

so please...get real...LeBron would have had a wasted season in Miami- and the Heat are not magically going to get better as Wade and Bosh only get older.

Gilbert, the basketball owner, is a joke. He proved to be horrendous at every personel decision he made. Hence James leaving originally.
Hence a ton of lotto balls. Hence being the first billionaire owner to give total say and control to a player.

If you really believe that under anything even close to a normal circumstance that James would even meet with Gilbert, you are beyond naive.

And, the entire team was out of gas. Collective toll of playing an extra seasons worth of games.
James was the only one cramping up though when the Spurs cut the AC.
Maybe Gilbert paid someone to do it?

Doesn't Dragic make 7.5 this season? So please stfu about what Riley can or might or couldn't do.
It's not that hard to exchange that type of salary especially when the other teams incentive is future draft picks.
Also, did I mention Bosh in the sentence with Whiteside/Dragic?
Maybe Bosh is now a Sun and the Heat takes Dragic and someone else?
See, that's the thing, YOU don't know and neither does anyone else.

You can't predict injury and illness. Maybe if you actually watched other teams you would understand that.
Just remember, your franchise is just one bad step away from being totally irrelevant.
Of all top teams, you have been basically injury free.
You have no excuses, so please quit attempting to create one.

Lastly, seems like you can't find enough bullshit or words to answer this question, but I'll ask again.

Switch Deng and James, and even without Bosh, how many games are the Cavs winning in a series vs the Heat?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love would REALLY have to want to leave Cleveland- because Cleveland without a doubt gives him both the best chance to win big, and can offer the most money.

It is hard for me to believe he could walk away from the most money and best chance to win- he would be really torn apart in the media if he left to be the #1 guy somewhere and they stunk.

But we shall see....it would definitely be a big blow if Love leaves considering the assets the Cavs gave up for him---- but as long as the Cavs have LeBron and Kyrie- (and Kyrie is on a contract that is going to be INSANELY team friendly once the new TV deal kicks in- one of the best bargains in the league)- the Cavs are going to be contenders.

Say Love leaves- Thompson would have to step up- and it sure looks like he is capable of being a power forward that would fit with Bron and Kyrie. Hopefully they keep both of those guys- but who knows at this point.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gilbert, the basketball owner, is a joke. He proved to be horrendous at every personal decision he made. Hence James leaving originally.
Hence a ton of lotto balls. Hence being the first billionaire owner to give total say and control to a player.

If you really believe that under anything even close to a normal circumstance that James would even meet with Gilbert, you are beyond naive.

And, the entire team was out of gas. Collective toll of playing an extra seasons worth of games.
James was the only one cramping up though when the Spurs cut the AC.
Maybe Gilbert paid someone to do it?

Doesn't Dragic make 7.5 this season? So please stfu about what Riley can or might or couldn't do.
It's not that hard to exchange that type of salary especially when the other teams incentive is future draft picks.
Also, did I mention Bosh in the sentence with Whiteside/Dragic?
Maybe Bosh is now a Sun and the Heat takes Dragic and someone else?
See, that's the thing, YOU don't know and neither does anyone else.

You can't predict injury and illness. Maybe if you actually watched other teams you would understand that.
Just remember, your franchise is just one bad step away from being totally irrelevant.
Of all top teams, you have been basically injury free.
You have no excuses, so please quit attempting to create one.

Lastly, seems like you can't find enough bullshit or words to answer this question, but I'll ask again.

Switch Deng and James, and even without Bosh, how many games are the Cavs winning in a series vs the Heat?

LeBron waited a long time to make his decision- something you constantly harp on- and what he saw was DANNY GRANGER AND MCBOB! lol.....

how in Gods name could he possibly think that team would be of anymore help to him? Especially after Wade missed nearly 30 games! not too mention Bosh becoming allergic to contact and getting about 7 rebounds a game- which is really extremely lousy for a guy that is 6' 11"

If I am LeBron i look and see--- an aging Dwade, an aging Bosh, a team that had traded away tons of first rounders with no young talent- and they just spent their mid-level on McBob- and their vet. exception on DAnny Granger

OF COURSE you go to the team with a 22 year old budding star in Irving- a 3 time all star and considered a top 3 PF in Love who is only 26 years old- not too mention- EXTRA first round picks and young players that could either develop (Thompson) or be traded (Waiters)-----

I mean, who in their right mind would have stayed?

and obviously he made the right decision- because right now Bosh would not even be available for the playoffs- and LeBron would have had to carry the whole thing on his shoulders AGAIN.

the San Antonio game was such a great example of why Bron made a great decision. You could see it developing like those games last June- LeBron is playing solid- but Leonard is fighting him like crazy- and Bron is starting to get frusterated---- instead of the team packing it in what happens? Kyrie Irving starts ABSOLUTELY ROASTING Tony Parker and the Spurs defense- opens up the court - and LeBron looked like a weight was lifted off his shoulders- he FINALLY had a guy he could depend on again- that disappeared once Wade couldnt get it done anymore.

Its why I CANNOT WAIT for the playoffs.

also- LeBron likes playing with a REAL center for the first time in his career- you can definitely see it- LeBron was the best rebounder on his team in Miami - he led the freaking team in rebounding last year with 6.9 rebounds-while Bosh had 6.6 rebounds- YES- 6.6 rebounds - the year BEFORE that he led the entire Heat team in rebounding again- while Bosh again averaged UNDER 7 rebound a game. The year BEFORE THAT he led the team in rebounding yet again.

How many teams have a SF lead their ENTIRE TEAM in rebounding for 3 years in a row? Imagine the physical toll that takes on a guy when his big men are basically nancies that solely play the perimeter

Say what you will about Kevin Love- but he bangs down low and has over 10 rebounds a game. Thompson despite coming off the bench averages 8 a game. Mozgov 7- LeBron is the FOURTH leading rebounder on the Cavs- which he has to absolutely love- it is definitely saving the wear and tear on his body.

I definitely think part of the reason he left is he was sick of having to carry so much of the load in practically every facet of the game and it was starting to wear on him- and he especially did not like when Wade sat out nearly 30 games- and then saw Bosh just standing on the outside the whole time allergic to contact.

It is no wonder he left

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean its really been so great for LeBron.

He got 2 weeks off to tend to his body- something he could never do in Miami with Wade missing time over the last couple years

he is averaging the LEAST minutes per game in his entire career. He does not have to get as physical down low since he has actual rebounders on his team!- its not a surprise he is averagining the lest rebounds, and most assists since he left Cleveland- which i think is a great thing- id much rather have LeBron distributing and using his Magic-like passing abilities to get assists- than wasting him and getting him beat up rebounding- let Mozgov, Thompson and Love do the rebounding. Plus- Kyrie has been a God-send- a guy that actually SPACES the floor, and can play off LeBron, and then takes over point duties when LeBron sits? I mean, if LeBron created a player to team up with in a lab it would look a lot like Kyrie Irving. That spacing- (shooting over 41% from 3) has given LeBron some major open lanes.

to me- this is exactly what LeBron was dreaming of when he came to Cleveland- the least minutes of his career, time to get healthy, great spacing, a real center, a real point guard, a PF that can step out to the 3 pt line and space- AND also get 10 rebounds a game.

I dont think he for one minute regrets leaving Miami where he was getting run into the ground to make sure Dwade was fresh for the playoffs, and having to be the best rebounder on his team for 3 seasons in a row since Bosh is afraid to get physical down low.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love would REALLY have to want to leave Cleveland- because Cleveland without a doubt gives him both the best chance to win big, and can offer the most money.

It is hard for me to believe he could walk away from the most money and best chance to win- he would be really torn apart in the media if he left to be the #1 guy somewhere and they stunk.

But we shall see....it would definitely be a big blow if Love leaves considering the assets the Cavs gave up for him---- but as long as the Cavs have LeBron and Kyrie- (and Kyrie is on a contract that is going to be INSANELY team friendly once the new TV deal kicks in- one of the best bargains in the league)- the Cavs are going to be contenders.

Say Love leaves- Thompson would have to step up- and it sure looks like he is capable of being a power forward that would fit with Bron and Kyrie. Hopefully they keep both of those guys- but who knows at this point.

Forget all that...

Say Love leaves, you gave away Wiggins for nothing.

That's the real headline because we all see that the kid is gonna be special.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forget all that...

Say Love leaves, you gave away Wiggins for nothing.

That's the real headline because we all see that the kid is gonna be special.

Wiggins is going to be awesome- so is Parker too-

do you think Love walks away from the most money and best chance to win to go- say- play with the Knicks? or Lakers?- two teams that even with him- could not get past either with the knicks- the Cavs in the East- or with the Lakers- the other teams out West?

I mean- say NY for example- he goes and plays with Melo. -especially after talking to Jr Smith and Shumpert- and seeing LeBron and Kyrie- how could he ever hope to win a title? Do I think Love would basically turn down more money and admit to himself he is not going to win a title- in order to get more shots NY?

I dont know- Love is taking about 5 less shots per game in Cleveland than Minnesota where he was the man. IF he stays, gets more integrated in the offense, and more aggressive, (and more healthy) he could easily take that down to 3 less shots per game next season.

Its just so hard for me to believe a guy gives up money and the best shot to win for 3-4 shots a game!

Its a weird situation though in that- I am very surprised Blatt has not done more to get Love involved- but every time i say that- i also see how Love has had back issues- so what is it? Is it Loves back issues? or is it Blatt not trusting him that has limited him in some ways?

I dont know the answer to that- its so odd because teams usually bend over backwards to accomodate star free-agents-to-be and the Cavs really have not bent over backwards for Love.

This brings me to the question of whether a coaching change might be beneficial at some point? Coach Cal at Kentucky would take this job in an instant- i guarantee you.......