• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ken Norton needs to be fired

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Btw my big thing is Ken Norton doesn’t see a problem with how the defense is playing. That’s the problem right there, the defense is not playing good and I know a big part of that is no pass rush, but to come out and say everything is ok is a problem.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Btw my big thing is Ken Norton doesn’t see a problem with how the defense is playing. That’s the problem right there, the defense is not playing good and I know a big part of that is no pass rush, but to come out and say everything is ok is a problem.

Well we'll see how tomorrow goes... Matt Ryan and the Cowboys can definitely hang some points... and Coach bBEEELELELIFCHICK can never be counted out.

That said, we're giving up nearly 500 yards a game. If that continues at Miami, changes need to be made... I'll be as brainless and idiotic as Norton is but I'm willing to accept far less in terms of the payroll Seattle is supplying him.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well we'll see how tomorrow goes... Matt Ryan and the Cowboys can definitely hang some points... and Coach bBEEELELELIFCHICK can never be counted out.

That said, we're giving up nearly 500 yards a game. If that continues at Miami, changes need to be made... I'll be as brainless and idiotic as Norton is but I'm willing to accept far less in terms of the payroll Seattle is supplying him.

Missing Adams and other pieces on defense so i feel it's going to be rough. Just not enough talent up front and the back end is acting like well they don't know each other or what to do. I guess you can see that part is true, still feel we won't see the true defense till week 6-8

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My issue with Norton isn't the lack of pressure, its the lack of cohesion. Whether by miscommunication, lack of execution or just flat out incompetent play structure - there are constantly huge holes in the defense. The secondary should be one of the best in the league, but they aren't living up to it. I understand that there isn't consistent pressure - but I also can't think of many times where the defensive backs coverage extended the play to take some pressure off the line. I can't imagine the injury depleted backfield will be any better in coverage against Miami.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My issue with Norton isn't the lack of pressure, its the lack of cohesion. Whether by miscommunication, lack of execution or just flat out incompetent play structure - there are constantly huge holes in the defense. The secondary should be one of the best in the league, but they aren't living up to it. I understand that there isn't consistent pressure - but I also can't think of many times where the defensive backs coverage extended the play to take some pressure off the line. I can't imagine the injury depleted backfield will be any better in coverage against Miami.

My issue with Norton is we get a lead and he starts dropping everyone SO deep in coverage. I know we play a zone, but everyone just starts dropping super deep and it allows for 5 yard passes with another 10 after the catch. Add in to that our team is missing tackles left and right (which has been a major issue since the Norton regime) and it's just ugly to watch. And he just consistently rushes 3-4 pass rushers. Yes you cannot blitz on every down, but at least have a couple guys jam the receivers or cover short over the line of scrimmage.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lmao, now Ken Norton is rushing 2 defensive lineman... and dropping 9 DEEP into coverage allowing a QB to run 10 yards for a first. lmfao.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they finally didn't let a team put up 450+ yards and had their lowest points against so far this season and you are still bitching GAH! The Defense is going in the right direction or did you forget that Scoring/yardage is SKYROCKETING this NFL season and most likely because teams didn't have as much time to even get ready. Just Calm down if by week 8 they are still playing this bad then get on your soapbox.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they finally didn't let a team put up 450+ yards and had their lowest points against so far this season and you are still bitching GAH! The Defense is going in the right direction or did you forget that Scoring/yardage is SKYROCKETING this NFL season and most likely because teams didn't have as much time to even get ready. Just Calm down if by week 8 they are still playing this bad then get on your soapbox.

Oh yah... because 400+ yards to the mighty Dolphins sounds that much better. Yes obviously offenses are going to be better with no crowd noise (or very little) but when Norton is calling up these soft ass zones and DEEP coverage EVERY down it's ridiculous. He rushed TWO (2 guys...) and dropped 9 into DEEP coverage on a 3rd and 10. Result? Fitzpatrick who is like 90 years old running easily for 10 yards.

Even the announcers were making numerous references to Seattle playing too far off receivers and it was a piece of cake for Miami to move with all the slants and under routes.

This worked fine when we ran a cover 3 with a good pass rush, but now we get a single score lead and we're playing deep 4 with the linebackers dropping some 10 yards as well. Then the one time Norton actually dials up a blitz with the safety, the safety is blitzing from 10-15 yards off the line.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giving up all this yardage in close games will eventually bite us in the butt... because we give up so much yardage we will probably lose some games because of that

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Dolphins were forced to Kick Fieldgoals all day long and did not score their first TD till the very end of the game.
Oh yah... because 400+ yards to the mighty Dolphins sounds that much better. Yes obviously offenses are going to be better with no crowd noise (or very little) but when Norton is calling up these soft ass zones and DEEP coverage EVERY down it's ridiculous. He rushed TWO (2 guys...) and dropped 9 into DEEP coverage on a 3rd and 10. Result? Fitzpatrick who is like 90 years old running easily for 10 yards.

Even the announcers were making numerous references to Seattle playing too far off receivers and it was a piece of cake for Miami to move with all the slants and under routes.

This worked fine when we ran a cover 3 with a good pass rush, but now we get a single score lead and we're playing deep 4 with the linebackers dropping some 10 yards as well. Then the one time Norton actually dials up a blitz with the safety, the safety is blitzing from 10-15 yards off the line.

Yards don't matter POINTS do. Yes it sucks giving up yards but come on now they had to kick 5 FG so the defense did a very good job with all the injuries and people missing this game and they gave up ONE TD thats it ONE TD. The Hawks were getting the stops and not allowing TD's like previous weeks. Now we just need to get these stops before they get into FG range. Todays defense was an improvement over what we had seen the first 3 weeks. Some of you are just spoiled and want them to play like the 2012-2015 defense... Not going to happen. Only players around since then is KJ and Bobby.

Last edited:

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
here read this and think about it.

"In addition to that interception, Griffin also broke up two passes in the end zone, and according to ESPN Next Gen Stats he allowed one catch for 11 yards on five targets as the nearest defender in coverage. His play, as well as a standout performance by K.J. Wright, was just part of what was a very strong day of defense for a unit that was missing starting safety Jamal Adams, starting cornerback Quinton Dunbar, starting nickel back Marquise Blair (IR), starting strongside linebacker Bruce Irvin (IR), the player who replaced Irvin last week, Jordyn Brooks, and defensive end Rasheem Green (IR)."

"While the Dolphins did move the ball well, the Seahawks kept them out of the end zone until the final two minutes of the game"

"A week after Dallas had four pass plays of 40 or more yards, three of them touchdowns, the Seahawks didn't allow a play longer than 26 yards, and gave up only two gains of more than 20 yards."

that's how i felt about what i saw today and agree with John Boyle ( the Seahawks reporter that posted this ). They improved and as long as they continue to improve i won't be bitching. Think about how different this game would have been had Wright held onto both those INT's or even just one. lol

Last edited:

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Have you considered that maybe Ken Norton isn't the only problem with this defense?

FTR, when you only rush 2 then the QB shouldn't be able to run for 10 yards because you are playing zone with a lot of underneath support.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Passing yards do not correlate to winning football games, so I don't care as much about how many we are giving up as I do about when & how. We have had double digit leads in the 2nd half of all 4 games so far. Teams behind by 10+ late in games are going to throw almost exclusively, and I think our defensive stats bear that out. What we didn't do in the game yesterday was get beat over the top, and that's been a big problem in all the other games. Maybe it was more about the opponent, but it's still a sign of at least slight improvement. And that was without 2 starters in the secondary. We don't have much of a pass rush, especially after losing Bruce Irvin after a couple games and not yet being able to put Darrell Taylor out there. No Rasheem Green either. Or Jordyn Brooks for the time being. I am not suggesting it would be great with those guys, but it is nice to at least have the guys you signed & drafted on the field to better understand if what you did could work.

Ken Norton? I'm more or less ambivalent about him. I don't think he's Buddy Ryan or anything, but he isn't the one out there not getting QB pressure or getting beat deep. If there's a better DC that is available, I'm fine with a change. Not sure who that would be right now though. It's almost a certainty that Quinn is going to get axed at some point, and in all likelihood he'll have to be a coordinator again before getting another HC look. I'm perfectly ok if he's back here as our DC in 2021, but I don't know if that's an instant fix to whatever ails us. Good DC though, for sure.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our run D is #3 in the league in rush average. To me, stopping the run is 1st priority for a defense.
Now that it looks like DQ will be available, my ears will probably hear the call for Norton’s firing even more than before. Before you climb that horse, take a good luck at the condition of that Atlanta defense of which he was hired to fix.

AceKeptic

Free Agent from Elsewhere
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our run D is #3 in the league in rush average. To me, stopping the run is 1st priority for a defense.
Now that it looks like DQ will be available, my ears will probably hear the call for Norton’s firing even more than before. Before you climb that horse, take a good luck at the condition of that Atlanta defense of which he was hired to fix.
The rush average may be good; it's the pass average that worries me...

Especially on third down scenarios. These guys have to get it in their heads that this isn't the Canadian League; they will NOT punt it to us on third down!

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WHAT'S THAT!? WHAT'S THAT YOU BULLSHIT MOTHER FUCKERS!? FIRE THIS FUCKHEAD NOW!!!!!

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He needs to be replaced, keep him, just not as D coordinator ... That Griffin saved TD sums it up, why with 15 seconds left in the half are you giving the Vikings a one on one matchup to the end zone ? We got dam lucky it’s not 17-0 right now....

AceKeptic

Free Agent from Elsewhere
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He needs to be replaced, keep him, just not as D coordinator ... That Griffin saved TD sums it up, why with 15 seconds left in the half are you giving the Vikings a one on one matchup to the end zone ? We got dam lucky it’s not 17-0 right now....
Or 21-0 for that matter.

You can't just keep giving leeway to these supposedly struggling teams. That's gotten us in trouble before; it's not always effective.

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry, but when some fans call for the immediate firing of the DC of a 5-0 team, I tend to stop listening to them. Hell, everyone hated Bevel although the Seahawks went to two straight super bowls. Fire <insert name>, fire <insert name>, fire the front office...... blah blah blah blah..........

Disclaimer: I have my doubts about Norton myself BUT..... we have other issues right now that surpass him.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
even the best DC in the NFL couldn't fix this defense it just needs to find itself and a pass rush.