• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ken Norton needs to be fired

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shark has been on this train for a while, and I can't say I haven't had similar thoughts lately, but let's face facts: Coordinators on 3-0 red hot teams don't get fired.

Now, I can see, and hope Pete himself takes on some of the secondary coaching. That's his bread and butter, and, with Flowers specifically, his fundamental techniques are just awful.

So I can't see him getting fired midseason, but a shift behind the scenes is possible and needed for sure.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah we cant make any changes like that in the middle of the season but I do agree that we may need to look at other options. They took forever to fire Bevell and when they finally did they brought in someone new and this offense trended upwards every season since Schotteinhimer took over. I don't think Ken is a good X and O's guy and I think that opposing teams coordinators having better schemes when playing us and attacking our defense.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't see us allowing Ken Norton Jr to continue with the play calling if by week 8 we're still last in the league or bottom of the league in yards given up and 20 plus yard plays against the defense... Helk, the Bears are 3-0 and they just made a QB change... But like others have said, P. Carroll is loyal to a fault and won't make the changes during the season...

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn't exactly an excuse for our defense but we did just play Matt Ryan (former MVP), Cam Newton (form MVP) and Dak Prescott (top 10 QB). And all three of them had to mount come from behind wins so they were chucking the ball a lot. I still think the defense should be much better but those three QB's are a pretty solid group to start our first 3 games against. I think after the Miami and Minny games we'll have a better feel for where this defense really is. I don't think the Hawks will suddenly become great on pass D, but I do think they'll probably come back towards the middle of the pack.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The numbers look bad but don't rock the boat while the team is playing hot.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was preaching this prior to the season, Norton just doesn’t play chess well, love the guy, but calling the shots on defense he’s proven isn’t his thing... Keep him on the team, just not as a defensive coordinator... We are grossly underachieving on defense with him at the helm... This is no fluke, it will continue until changes are made, and sadly, this defense is gonna cost us eventually, you can’t play this shitty on defense and expect good results long term... Offense can’t be expected to play lights out like this all year... Russ isn’t gonna have 5 TD games every week...

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have any issues with changing DC.

Won't change much on this D this year though. They don't have the pieces on that unit to build a defense that looks anything like a normal Seattle defense.

My position isn't that Norton is good or should be kept. It's that no one is going to turn these turds into kings. They have zero pass rush pieces and a depleted back end.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have any issues with changing DC.

Won't change much on this D this year though. They don't have the pieces on that unit to build a defense that looks anything like a normal Seattle defense.

My position isn't that Norton is good or should be kept. It's that no one is going to turn these turds into kings. They have zero pass rush pieces and a depleted back end.
Yup I agree and I'll go further and say Pete controls the defense and always has, good times and bad. Got to have the talent to make it work for any defense and DC get to much blame and credit for what happens on the field. I know some think Quinn was something as DC but not really, he was just blessed with outstanding defensive players at the time. Need the talent and the best you can do otherwise is get lucky with positive plays at crucial moments. We the fans just need to accept that the defense at best is a work in progress and hope the offense can carry the team. That how it works usually in the cap era.

mikeotis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need a change at DC.

Prove me wrong.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to add that teams have averaged 51.7 Passing attempts per game against the Hawks. That is the highest in the NFL and it's not even close to the next one at 45 even per game. The NFL average Pass attempts against per game is 35.5 to put things into perspective. If 35.5 is 100% then 51.7 is 145.63%. The Rush D has been strong the Linebackers have been solid the DB's have been toast... Who is our DB coach? His seat has to be RED FREAKING HOT!

Without a pass rush and with a team ( Offense ) that looks to be able to put up a ton of points then we will see other teams get pass happy against the Hawks when in Catch-up mode. I think when Dunbar is 100% and we get him out there with Adams things will get better but until we find a pass rush QB's will continue to get 3,4 maybe even 5 seconds to get open. Even the Best CB's in the league can't cover for that long.

uh .. .i think if you look at that coaching roster you can see that this roster is a mess when it comes to position and assistant coaches. They need some help. The fact we got a virgin DB coach who was a former "special teams" coach really makes me think WTF!

I get it, the Defense is Pete's thing and he is more hands on with the defense than any other position group but you need people there that instills trust in the young guys and i don't see anyone there that does that.

Last edited:

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what i was saying or trying to say is our Coaching staff is laughable when looking at the position coaches and assistant position coaches.

Maybe go grab Jim Leonhard, DC, Wisconsin to be a DB coach and an assistant DC? He is only 38 and is talent we have seen it the last few years. Got to bring in some young coaching talent not promote strength coaches into positional coaches and so forth. lol

How about Bert Watts, DC, Fresno State? another young guy that i think could help the DB's and be an assistant DC ( grooming to replace Norton ).

When it's all said and done though you really have to look at Pete and the condition of this Defense. He is so involved in that part of the game he really does have to take a big chunk of the blame. Doesn't help that we still can not play the single high safety he likes to play as much as before. Just don't have the speed on the backend.

Last edited:

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is funny to me how Hawk fans are always demanding that some coach be fired.

We all knew that this team was going to have a really tough time getting to the passer. We talked about it all offseason.

So that we confirm that we have a weak pass rush, people want Norton fired because we have a weak pass rush. It makes no sense to me.

People complained about how little we blitzed. Now we are one of the blitz happiest teams in the league and we discover that blitzing leaves holes open in the secondary.

I'm completely indifferent to Ken Norton. Just like I was completely indifferent to Kris Richard or Dan Quinn or Gus Bradley. This defense is run by PC. The gameplan is set up by PC.

The pass defense statistically looks worse than it really is right now because A) We played 3 teams with good QBs playing well and B) We are scoring a lot of points and putting other teams in positions where they have to throw the ball a lot.

The thing is despite giving up astronomical amounts of yards, our scoring defense is 20th in the NFL. That's what really matters. This defense is tied for the most picks in the NFL and it is interceptions and fumbles that will be what saves this team.

I expect us to give up a lot of yards again tomorrow. And I expect us to win comfortably.

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winning teams do NOT fire coaches mid-season. There are some Seahawk fans on this forum (you know who you are) that will never be happy whether we are 0-3 or 3-0. I get it. That being said, I will not be surprised if it is announced that Norton is gone come the off season.

Now, let's talk about real world problems. I'm heading to Cannon Beach starting today arriving tomorrow. Going to be in a B.F. Egypt town tonight so do I stay in B.F. Egypt to watch the morning game at a sports bar (risking Covid-19 exposure) or do I say "It's just the Dolphins, get the hell out of town"? Any and all advice will greatly be appreciated. :tj:

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winning teams do NOT fire coaches mid-season. There are some Seahawk fans on this forum (you know who you are) that will never be happy whether we are 0-3 or 3-0. I get it. That being said, I will not be surprised if it is announced that Norton is gone come the off season.

Now, let's talk about real world problems. I'm heading to Cannon Beach starting today arriving tomorrow. Going to be in a B.F. Egypt town tonight so do I stay in B.F. Egypt to watch the morning game at a sports bar (risking Covid-19 exposure) or do I say "It's just the Dolphins, get the hell out of town"? Any and all advice will greatly be appreciated. :tj:

Use a VPN that puts your location in the UK some place and just watch it online lol. If they no longer do that then just find a streaming site, i would avoid taking a chance of getting Covid unless you have no issues wearing a mask and washing up after picking up your glass of beer.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i get why people want Norton fired but whats his specialty? Linebackers! Whats the strongest part of this Defense? Linebackers. Nah I think we need a new DB coach someone that will get these underperforming kids performing because in my eyes they are WAY underperforming. I mean come on we are seeing people WIDE open every game and it's not just once or twice a game it seems like its every other completion!

I think this team would have been better off had Norton been promoted to DC and Kris Richard stayed the DB coach. I do not believe he would have got to many looks as a DC after only being a DB/S coach. Some would have called him in but i don't think they would have pulled the trigger.

Sucks we see a 2nd, 7th and 12th ranked scoring defenses in the NFL in the NFC West and Seattle is sitting at 21st. I would take the 12 ranked scoring defense right now in a heartbeat. Not a single one of our games would have been nail bitters like they have been so far. We can not continue to count on winning so many 1 score games. How many did we have last season? how many we got this season so far? 2?

Last edited: