• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ken Holland and some Wings talk...

loki604

Don't Blame the Refs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Listened to Ken Holland on NHL Home Ice today. Really enjoyed the interview; he's obviously a smart, charismatic guy who knows his hockey. Things discussed:

- Lidstrom back for another season? Holland says you can barely tell he's aged, and I agree. He said Lids should be a poker player though because he hasn't really given any indication either way. I hope he comes back; it will be the end of an era when he's no longer patrolling the blue line for Detroit.

- Travel. When they get back to Detroit on Sunday (I believe), Holland said they will have been home four of the last 26 days. That's pretty ridiculous. He said they were like gypsies, which made me laugh.

- Grueling Schedule. Since they've been to back-to-back SC Finals + the Olympics, Holland was asked about this. He said that a lot of guys missed time with injuries, didn't go to the Olympics (so had a large break there), and that stuff doesn't affect special players (Lids, Rafalski, Zetts, Dats) like it might some others. I tend to agree. We shall see.

- Phoenix and Sharks. He gave props to Phoenix, and said it was a well-fought series with the seventh game being closer than the score indicated. He also said they're looking forward to playing the Sharks and preparing for a long series there as well.

Anyways, just thought it was a good interview and figured we could get some Wings chat going. Once again, I think they will be considered the favorite in this series (seems like Detroit always is regardless of seed lol). I see them taking it in 6; hopefully, Heatley is better health wise and Thornton and Marleau can find their games.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good read, Holland is usually a pretty good interview. Unless you're looking for some off-the-cuff remarks, or anything resembling a Brian Burke interview. He typically holds his cards pretty close to his chest.

I am going to disagree with him a bit, or at least claim that he was downplaying the wear and tear of two SCF appearences, a WCF appearence, and an Olympic break over the past four years. That stuff's got to take a toll.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait... is this the same Kenny Holland that was a goalie for the Binghamton Whalers? I had a game-used stick of his for years and years. We would sneak into the Binghamton Arena during practice and skate around with them - until the coaches kicked us off.

loki604

Don't Blame the Refs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Good read, Holland is usually a pretty good interview. Unless you're looking for some off-the-cuff remarks, or anything resembling a Brian Burke interview. He typically holds his cards pretty close to his chest.

I am going to disagree with him a bit, or at least claim that he was downplaying the wear and tear of two SCF appearences, a WCF appearence, and an Olympic break over the past four years. That stuff's got to take a toll.

I know what you're saying, but I still haven't seen any of those top guys miss a beat so far, and they've already been through so much. It's hard to think that another series or two (or three) will be the breaking point.

postmaster

RIP Steve
Hoopla Cash
$ 250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait... is this the same Kenny Holland that was a goalie for the Binghamton Whalers? I had a game-used stick of his for years and years. We would sneak into the Binghamton Arena during practice and skate around with them - until the coaches kicked us off.

It sure is. Good memory.

Urkie

The MVP...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The best GM in hockey.

He's always very insightful when he does interviews and I like hearing his opinion on certain things. At times I wish he was the GM of the Sens though. :(

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sure is. Good memory.

Holy smokes... We would skate around and take shots on Kenny, and he would act like it was game seven. He usually fired the puck back at us - we didn't have pads on , BTW.

Sorry. I didn't mean to hijack the thread, but I haven't heard his name in such a long time.

postmaster

RIP Steve
Hoopla Cash
$ 250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy smokes... We would skate around and take shots on Kenny, and he would act like it was game seven. He usually fired the puck back at us - we didn't have pads on , BTW.

Sorry. I didn't mean to hijack the thread, but I haven't heard his name in such a long time.

I don't see how that was off topic. Either way, feel free to post what you want, when you want here. I don't think you will see any complaints.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

hijack.gif

J/K, it's fine.

After all, they seem to put up with all my shit, so you should be just fine. :D

oldschoolhockeyfan

Lifetime of Hockey
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The best GM in hockey.

He's always very insightful when he does interviews and I like hearing his opinion on certain things. At times I wish he was the GM of the Sens though. :(

Looks like you'll just have to be satisfied with the guy Holland replaced.