• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Keeper League decision... (input appreciated)

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still not sure about keeping Ridley over Cruz actually... I mean Cruz is valuable in a PPR. Ridley isn't really proven either. I could even go Brady-Forte-Morris-Cruz. I can't make up my damn mind, lol!

I'm also in favor of going Forte/Ridley/Brady and then drafting Morris.

Cruz is good too, but I hands down I prefer Ridley over Cruz for one basic reason. It's easier to find WR talent in the draft than it is to find RB talent in the draft.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hang on a second. Throwing Cruz back may be the right decision. Keeping Ridley and drafting Morris is not. Neither of these guys are very involved in the passing game. Here is what I would do:

Keep: Forte, Ridley, Cobb
Draft: Julio Jones

Jones has more long term job security than Morris and he is still a player on the rise. He will be a top 5 WR for the next 6-8 years. I am a Redskins fan and I love Alfred Morris, but I am here to tell you that taking him in a PPR keeper ahead of a guy like Jones is a mistake. Roy Helu has looked awfully good in the preseason, much like Morris did last year.

MJD should not be considered either because if his age and the wear and tear.

IMO, a core of:

Forte, Ridley, Jones and Cobb is the best you can possibly do out of that group. This looks like a playoff nucleus to me. You can then select the best available QB with your next pick.

Good luck.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't really specify this, but there is no reason to keep a QB in a 10 team PPR league. QBs have less value in this format relative to RBs and WRs because of the extra points for catches. Since there are only 10 teams, everyone will have a great option. I might not even take a QB until you have your flex spot and at least 1 bench spot covered.

In this format, unless QBs earn points for completions or get 6 point TD passes, I would not even take Brees in the top 30. Forget about Brady or Luck.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the input guys.

Tlance- Hearing from a Skins fan that I should take Jones over Morris really has me thinking... I get that in PPR leagues WR are very valuable but when it comes down to it RB is a very shallow position overall. Only concern with Jones is that ATL has White, Gonzalez and Jackson as other offensive options and he finished 19th in the NFL in WR targets despite playing all 16 games last year. But if you're telling me that Morris may have trouble keeping his job or could get some of his touches taken away from Helu in the near future then that worries me a little.

My only lock is Forte as of right now... Cobb over Brady actually could make sense the more I look at the potential QB's available later in the draft and his keeper upside being higher than Brady in the long run. Cobb and Jones in a PPR does sound pretty intriguing but I feel like I might regret passing up on a future stud RB in Morris. Forte and Ridley is a solid run game but I'd have trouble finding a flex RB with the 50th and 51st picks. At least one that I like... if Lacy, Ball, or Miller are there then that wouldn't be too bad but do you think the WR's I could take at that point aren't as much of a drop off as the RB's I'd have to choose from if I took Jones?

I think a Forte-Ridley-Morris-Cobb core is easier to fill in as I'd be scrambling for a flex RB if I took Jones...whereas WR's in that range provide more value than the RB's I'd be choosing from. Hopefully I didn't lose you... lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forte is a stud. He will be a top 5 PPR RB this year.

Helu is the third down back in DC. I do not think he will take Morris' job, but I do think that in a PPR format he is not a top 15 RB. Players like R. Bush and even Darren Sproles will have more value than a 2 down thumper like Morris in PPR.

I think you are correct that there are WRs available later in the draft, but there is a huge difference between the top 6 WRs (Mega, Marshall, Dez, Green, Jones, Thomas) and everyone else, IMO. I would rather go that route and look for an Ahmad Bradshaw, Lamar Miller type player with in my flex later on.

If this was not PPR, I would take the 3 RBs all day. Going this route, you will also have the ability to put a WR in your flex spot who may be able to score on the same level as Ridley and Morris in this format.

Barilko

Probably at hockey or some dam concert you tell me
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, so it's a 10 team league with 3 keepers per team... heading into the third year. Every year there's 3 keepers so keep that in mind.

My keepers this year: Tom Brady, Matt Forte, Victor Cruz (pretty mediocre, I know)

I finished in last place last year so I get the 1st overall pick and I have a VERY difficult choice to make... lots of talent available that won't be kept.

Potential draftees: Alfred Morris, Stevan Ridley, Maurice Jones-Drew, Rob Gronkowski, Frank Gore, Julio Jones, and Wes Welker.

I'm leaning towards taking one of Morris, Ridley or MJD obviously... trying to make a final decision here.

As much as im against taking anything other than a Rb in round one
for me Julio is hands down the best in that group
of coursemany will argue Gronk but i have a bad feeling that we havent seen the last of Gronk on Ir
but if you take the needed rb i go Morris
however you may not have him long once the "Shanahanagans" hit

Last edited by a moderator:

Barilko

Probably at hockey or some dam concert you tell me
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok i just read every post my first answer was made before reading any other post as not to be influenced

I still say draft Jones and you should follow Tiance's advise He is Bang on
especially in PPR you do not a Qb early....

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You haven't listed your starting requirements; that would be helpful. Do you have to start a TE?

I agree entirely with almost all Tlance's points. If everybody else is keeping a top QB that's not a reason to keep Brady. In fact you would stand a good chance of picking him back up later pretty late. Really, they're all doing you a favor by keeping their QBs.

Pooling RB/WR together, I have Forte and Cobb both top-10 in PPR - those are two of your keepers for sure. For the third keeper, in PPR I would keep Cruz over Ridley or Morris in PPR; he was better than either of them last year, and I don't see why he should slip, but I think Vereen and a healthy Helu will change the look of things for Ridley and Morris.

So I'd keep Forte, Cobb, Cruz - and who you draft first depends on the starting requirements. If you don't have to start a TE, Julio is the obvious choice. If you do, I would take Gronk. A less obvious choice would be Gio Bernand, because he looks very promising in PPR (and in a keeper league rookies are nice) and with essentially the top 50 players gone by the time you have your next pick he probably won't be there - although again the other guys are doing you a big favor keeping QBs; he might fall to you at 20 after all.

QB: ?
RB: Forte
RB: Bernard
WR: Cobb
WR: Cruz
Flex: ?
TE: Gronk

That looks like a nice start to me in a PPR keeper league, if you can make it happen.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One last word for Jones:

It is true that there are many mouths to feed in the Falcons offense, but take a closer look. Gonzalez is retiring after this year. SJax has maybe 2 or 3 good years left, tops. White is starting to fade a little, although it doesn't show in his numbers.

What is left? A really good QB just entering his prime and an elite WR ready to dominate. Ryan and Jones will be the main cogs in the Falcons offense for years to come. One thing is for sure. Barring injury, if you don't get Julio now, you will never get another chance. RBs like Morris and Ridley are valuable, but they come and go.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MJD should not be considered either because if his age and the wear and tear.

Forte is a stud. He will be a top 5 PPR RB this year.

Alright, I'm not saying by any stretch that I think MJD is a better option at RB this year, but this doesn't make much sense to me, and here's why:

MJD is only about 8 months older than Forte. Your wear and tear assertion will hold water if his foot injury flairs back up, but he is playing at full speed this preseason and looks great, and hasn't had a single problem with it. Forte is also far from a sure thing when it comes to injuries. While I will agree that Forte is definitely a great choice for a PPR back this year, I don't think MJD is going to be a bad choice by any means. Before last season's injury, he was still averaging nearly 5 ypc, and in the 3 seasons prior he was tearing it up. Personally, I like him better than Morris and Ridlay this year.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright, I'm not saying by any stretch that I think MJD is a better option at RB this year, but this doesn't make much sense to me, and here's why:

MJD is only about 8 months older than Forte. Your wear and tear assertion will hold water if his foot injury flairs back up, but he is playing at full speed this preseason and looks great, and hasn't had a single problem with it. Forte is also far from a sure thing when it comes to injuries. While I will agree that Forte is definitely a great choice for a PPR back this year, I don't think MJD is going to be a bad choice by any means. Before last season's injury, he was still averaging nearly 5 ypc, and in the 3 seasons prior he was tearing it up. Personally, I like him better than Morris and Ridlay this year.

I might agree that MJD is better than Morris and Ridley in PPR, but the thing is that he can keep Ridley. He would have to draft MJD or Morris. I know we disagree on this, but I would rather take Jones than MJD because I just don't fully trust him. I really do hope MJD holds up though, since I took him in round 3 of the MBBRL.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I might agree that MJD is better than Morris and Ridley in PPR, but the thing is that he can keep Ridley. He would have to draft MJD or Morris. I know we disagree on this, but I would rather take Jones than MJD because I just don't fully trust him. I really do hope MJD holds up though, since I took him in round 3 of the MBBRL.

Oh I agree, I'd take Jones for several reasons. I just didn't like the idea of "he can't be considered". It really depends on your overall strategy.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I agree, I'd take Jones for several reasons. I just didn't like the idea of "he can't be considered". It really depends on your overall strategy.

Yeah, that was a little too harsh.

Yellow Fuzzies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Potential draftees: Alfred Morris, Stevan Ridley, Maurice Jones-Drew, Rob Gronkowski, Frank Gore, Julio Jones, and Wes Welker.
RBs are thin this year. I would pick up Ridley or MJD as FA if you can then keep Ridley/MJD, Forte and Brady. Despite his receiver issues, Brady will not fall off the side of the earth. I believe there has been an overreaction resulting in an exaggerated drop in value for him. If you believe as I do that MJD is going to rebound well from his injury, then go with MJD and Forte at RB (nice #1 & 2).
Then draft Julio as you your number one WR. You start with Brady, Forte, MJD (or Ridley) and Julio. That is a nice start!!!
good luck

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sox, MJD probably leads active RBs in injury report appearances (42) and number of injuries (13). Forte isn't even in the same ballpark (16 appearances for five injuries).

Even McFadden can't catch him (34 appearances for nine injuries), but MJD has a couple years' head start.

Nobody's claiming MJD is rickety because of the one injury that caused him to miss games. It's his whole career, playing through stuff.

Okay - actually Bradshaw can give MJD a run for his money with 45 injury report appearances... but only for nine injuries.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm trying to decide between these two cores:

Core 1: Forte, Ridley, Jones, Cobb

Core 2: Brady, Forte, Ridley, Jones

I think I'm taking Jones over Morris and MJD at this point... I'm leaning towards core 1.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sox, MJD probably leads active RBs in injury report appearances (42) and number of injuries (13). Forte isn't even in the same ballpark (16 appearances for five injuries).

Even McFadden can't catch him (34 appearances for nine injuries), but MJD has a couple years' head start.

Nobody's claiming MJD is rickety because of the one injury that caused him to miss games. It's his whole career, playing through stuff.

Okay - actually Bradshaw can give MJD a run for his money with 45 injury report appearances... but only for nine injuries.

Oh I know, he's not the pinnacle of health for RBs. However, aside from the foot last year, nothing was ever bad enough to make him miss substantial time. In fact, the overwhelming majority of the injury appearances were listed under the "probable" status (23 out of 28 not counting last year's foot). I know the foot is a question mark and something to monitor, but this year in camp and preseason, he's been at 100% and is showing no signs of injury at all. For a guy that has largely been reliable through his career, I have no issues with him being an RB2 and especially an RB3/flex, given his production on the field.