• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Keep the Rams in St Louis Rally

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been asked my thoughts on this topic from many of my STL acquaintances so I decided to write it out and post it to face book where they could all see it at once. I figured I'd share here to so here goes:

As people discuss the potential of the Rams leaving St Louis lets look at what it would actually take for them to do so. After the 2014 season the team can opt of the lease in St Louis. Yet to relocate they would need 24 votes in an NFL owners meeting. That means only 9 would have to vote against or abstain. As of right now the Los Angeles metro area includes approx 8% of the US population. This population is not in a local NFL tv market which allows Fox and CBS to show the biggest games there each week from both the NFC and AFC. Many owners have speculated that this increases marketability of "big name teams" in the area which many "big name teams" (Steelers, Packers, Giants Cowboys, Patrios) probably won't want to give up because of merchandise sales. Additionally, San Diego Chargers Alex Spanos, a very respected NFL owner of nearly 3 decades, has stated he will fight against any team moving to LA because it would cut into his fan base. The San Francisco and Oakland brass may see things similarly, especially considering the already large Raiders following in LA. These owners may attempt to use their influence to persuade other NFL owners to either vote against or abstain a movement to relocate a team to LA. In all reality, no matter what the lease says, it would be monumentally difficult for any NFL owner, especially a very new owner, to pull off a campaign to get 23 other NFL owners to vote in his favor.

If the rams want to move they will get approval. There may be slight opposition but there is no chance whatsoever it is blocked. A team would draw a far larger percentage of those eyes than any outside team possibly could. Absolutely zero chance that there are 9 votes to stop this.

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JDM, if a team moved to LA fewer eyes in that market would be on Patriot games. That would hurt their jersey sale and their bottom line. That's the point is right now lot of people are pulling little pieces off the LA pie and if they don't want to let it go so that one team can have the whole pie then there could be resistance. My point was that the move being best for the Rams isn't enough, it has to be best for a lot of teams.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
exactly MUtigers, that is the reason that the league does not want to put any existing team in LA. I am from LA originally and even when there were teams there, there were still Cowboys, Dolphins, Redskins, Broncos, Chiefs, Browns jerseys running around LA and also AT THE GAMES. Keep in mind this was the 1980s, but you get the point.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Ferguson mess didn't help matters much and if a new stadium was in the works, everyone would certainly know about it by now. All we have had is crickets. I still stand by my original post and my thoughts and conclusions remain unchanged. We shall see come January 2015.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Ferguson mess didn't help matters much and if a new stadium was in the works, everyone would certainly know about it by now. All we have had is crickets. I still stand by my original post and my thoughts and conclusions remain unchanged. We shall see come January 2015.
The only thing that sounds reasonable, was mutigers angle...

Doesn't mean they don't move from St Louis though Retro....

I'm sure Kronke cringed when he saw the Forbes report.

Also with that, the owners could waffle as to blocking a move to LA because the greater value the Rams are allotted, the better the comps for their own teams. A move to LA, in a new state of the art stadium, would put the Rams value near the top of the league instead of the absolute bottom.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait!

Didn't 'The Cardinals' already leave St Louis?

I guess one out of two ain't bad! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait, you seriously deleted my post about the fanbase in St. Louis? My post was perfectly on point, and I actually live in St. Louis. Dd you delete my post because you disagree with me? That's the type of thing that led to the creation and popularity of this site in the first place.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait, you seriously deleted my post about the fanbase in St. Louis? My post was perfectly on point, and I actually live in St. Louis. Dd you delete my post because you disagree with me? That's the type of thing that led to the creation and popularity of this site in the first place.

I deleted your post because I am not going to have you come on this board and throw your weight around with a post that was borderline trolling. You do it again, I'll yank your backside. It had nothing to do with where you live. Capeeche?

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:bawling: i dont want bears coverage

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What was trollish? I stated that the Rams fanbase here is non-existent. I absolutely did pay $40 for 5 tickets to Rams-Seahawks last year. That's a fact. And yes, the Rams are way behind the Cardinals and Blues in terms of popularity. If you care about the franchise and you live here, you'd see it.

And I'm not sure why you are so pissy that I am giving my opinion on an issue I am totally qualified to talk about on a sports message board. You are censoring me, and I don't understand why. It's my opinion that the Rams would be best served to leave St. Louis. That's not a trollish or self-interested position. I love the fact that I can see my favorite NFL players for little money. I'm saying it because it's the truth.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:bawling: i dont want bears coverage

Right, a Bears fan in St. Louis can't make posts about the size of the Rams fan base in St. Louis, but a Rams fan in Phoenix can delete my (totally honest, on-topic) post because he is better qualified to discuss the size of the fanbase in St. Louis.

This is the most Disney thing that's ever happened to me in my 3+ years here on the Hoop. Thanks for the reminder why I came here in the first place.

Good Grief....

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, a Bears fan in St. Louis can't make posts about the size of the Rams fan base in St. Louis, but a Rams fan in Phoenix can delete my (totally honest, on-topic) post because he is better qualified to discuss the size of the fanbase in St. Louis.

This is the most Disney thing that's ever happened to me in my 3+ years here on the Hoop. Thanks for the reminder why I came here in the first place.

Good Grief....

You assume your post was deleted by the content response based on what you posted in response to my post. I told you the deletion had nothing to do with where you or I live. Now get that through your freakin' thick head!!

The deletion had far more to do with a troll quality of your post as it disregarded the context of my post in regards to multiple discussions and threads we, the Rams fans have had on this board previously. This has been an on-going narrative of which you obviously have had no knowledge of because of your newness to the SportsHoopla. These discussions have been going on for at least a year or more.

Then you come waltzing in here and shit all over the discussion with an out-of-the-blue troll quality post and expect me to just except it with respect and validity. I don't tolerate such crap and I don't give a flying flip who you think you are and what you deserve with the merits of your post because when you pull that shit anywhere on the SportsHoopla, you are going get reprimanded by a mod at some level and that is what happened here.

Then you have the temerity to come back here and whine some more about my validity of being a Rams fan when you know NOTHING about my Rams fan participation or where I have lived previously. Just so you know, I have been a Rams fan for over 50 years. Longer than you have been alive. So don't come around here stating you know what the hell you're talking about unless you bring some sense and civility to your posts style.

Now you have an Post ID that reads "Smart". Try living up to it or shut your mouth and stay off this board! Get it? If you can't do that, then I'll help you out.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing about my post was "troll quality" at all. It wasn't "out of the blue" either. This is a thread about keeping the Rams in St. Louis. The quality of the fan base in St. Louis is completely relevant to the thread. And I gave my thoughts on the matter. I guess you disagree with my view, but that doesn't make it trollish. A post that talks about the thread topic in plain English isn't a troll thread.

I'm not sure what you being a Rams fan has to do with anything. Did I say you were a bad Rams fan? No. I'm sure you are a good Rams fan. But if the topic is based on "keeping the Rams in St. Louis," then a key issue is "how well supported are the Rams in St. Louis." And the answer, from my point of view as a resident of St. Louis is that they aren't. If you disagree, fine. Say so, and tell me why. I'd love to hear it. But to delete my post because you disagree with the message? Not okay.

If you want to insist my post was "troll quality," then tell me why. Seriously, send me a PM or something. Just insisting it is without any reason why isn't how moderators here should act.

And as for my "newness to SportsHoopla," you might want to check my join date. You should notice it is a full 20 months before yours. And I do read threads that are relevant to me, on all boards. This includes threads about the Rams in St. Louis. Again, I live here, and while I am not a Rams fan, I like being able to see NFL games in the city where I live.

Your last paragraph says it all. You tell me to stay off your board, but I have no idea why. This is a topic that is completely relevant to me. I gave my straightforward opinion. I've done this on thousands of posts in dozens of forums. This is the first post that has ever been deleted. If you are announcing some new SportsHoopla-wide rule that people who disagree with moderators can't talk, fine. But after thousands of posts over several years, I'm not going to "stay off" topics that matter to me because one overzealous mod disagrees with you. Sorry. If I wanted that, I never would have come to this site in the first place.

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good Grief....

dude i can't help it, Ive lived in southern illinois all my life. We don't get along with our relatives from the north.....

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing about my post was "troll quality" at all. It wasn't "out of the blue" either. This is a thread about keeping the Rams in St. Louis. The quality of the fan base in St. Louis is completely relevant to the thread. And I gave my thoughts on the matter. I guess you disagree with my view, but that doesn't make it trollish. A post that talks about the thread topic in plain English isn't a troll thread.

I'm not sure what you being a Rams fan has to do with anything. Did I say you were a bad Rams fan? No. I'm sure you are a good Rams fan. But if the topic is based on "keeping the Rams in St. Louis," then a key issue is "how well supported are the Rams in St. Louis." And the answer, from my point of view as a resident of St. Louis is that they aren't. If you disagree, fine. Say so, and tell me why. I'd love to hear it. But to delete my post because you disagree with the message? Not okay.

If you want to insist my post was "troll quality," then tell me why. Seriously, send me a PM or something. Just insisting it is without any reason why isn't how moderators here should act.

And as for my "newness to SportsHoopla," you might want to check my join date. You should notice it is a full 20 months before yours. And I do read threads that are relevant to me, on all boards. This includes threads about the Rams in St. Louis. Again, I live here, and while I am not a Rams fan, I like being able to see NFL games in the city where I live.

Your last paragraph says it all. You tell me to stay off your board, but I have no idea why. This is a topic that is completely relevant to me. I gave my straightforward opinion. I've done this on thousands of posts in dozens of forums. This is the first post that has ever been deleted. If you are announcing some new SportsHoopla-wide rule that people who disagree with moderators can't talk, fine. But after thousands of posts over several years, I'm not going to "stay off" topics that matter to me because one overzealous mod disagrees with you. Sorry. If I wanted that, I never would have come to this site in the first place.

You have a very limited conceptualization of what you do. Answer me two questions. Besides the post I deleted between posts 25 and 26 on this thread and several subsequent posts, when have you been on the Rams board in any of its threads since your inception of 2011? Name a post outside of this thread that establishes your regularity here on the Rams board that would eliminate my characterization as "out-of-the-blue"?

Rambunctious

9er hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Rams played on the moon I would still be a die hard fan...

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have a very limited conceptualization of what you do. Answer me two questions. Besides the post I deleted between posts 25 and 26 on this thread and several subsequent posts, when have you been on the Rams board in any of its threads since your inception of 2011? Name a post outside of this thread that establishes your regularity here on the Rams board that would eliminate my characterization as "out-of-the-blue"?

I had 6 prior posts on this board according to the search (where many old posts don't register), all of which were on topics that applied to me (ie STL travel, Rams games I went to, or the Bears-Rams game). Your implication that I came on here to troll is wrong. I post on topics that seem applicable to me when I see them on the front page. When it's clear that I have something to say, it's never "out of the blue" when I post.

And it was clear based on my deleted post that I had something to say. I live in St. Louis and the topic clearly matters to me. There was no reason to delete my post at all.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh that's rich. 6 posts out of the thousands of posts on this board and in your mind that qualifies you in the category as a regular and not "out of the blue". You're no more a regular on here than the pope and what you stated to my post and how you stated it definitely qualifies you as a troll.

I don't expect you to agree to any of the evidence presented here. This has been your pattern on other threads as well. This all about you and we are all supposed to accept your behavior especially when you waltz in here and crap all over the discussion. Now, since you're "smart", you figure out what you did and perhaps I'll rescind my instruction. Otherwise it still stands.