• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Keep on keepin on Brandon Belt

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gary Brown doing exactly as I tell him to: .130 ISO now. Question: Since I always hate it when people compare a Giants prospect to Posey (a guy who was a very high draft pick that we all knew would at the very least be a good ML catcher,) can Brown be the Brandon Belt of this year?
Gary Brown Stats, Bio, Photos, Highlights | MiLB.com Stats | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball

Man, I hope so. Andy Towers looks like he aged three years while sitting on the DL. If he wasn't hucking those cinder blocks in the off-season, he'd be Dave Roberts with better range and a giant bat.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gary Brown doing exactly as I tell him to: .130 ISO now. Question: Since I always hate it when people compare a Giants prospect to Posey (a guy who was a very high draft pick that we all knew would at the very least be a good ML catcher,) can Brown be the Brandon Belt of this year?
Gary Brown Stats, Bio, Photos, Highlights | MiLB.com Stats | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball

He will compete for the CF job next spring. When he's promoted to AA should be a pretty good indicator on whether he has a shot.

I would like to see him walk a little bit more and K a little bit less, but he is certainly doing better than expected in those areas than what was thought on draft day. I'm really excited about this kid though, almost more excited than Belt because he gives us something we haven't had in a long time, game-changing speed and athletecism in the OF.

Maybe a Belt-Brown-Torres outfield in 2012?

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will compete for the CF job next spring. When he's promoted to AA should be a pretty good indicator on whether he has a shot.

I would like to see him walk a little bit more and K a little bit less, but he is certainly doing better than expected in those areas than what was thought on draft day. I'm really excited about this kid though, almost more excited than Belt because he gives us something we haven't had in a long time, game-changing speed and athletecism in the OF.

That could be nice. Keep in mind, Cody is younger than Andy, though. Pitch Cody Ross middle-in, the Giants will win.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

2012 feels too soon for Brown but who knows?

Maybe 2013: Torres-Brown-Ross outfield and Belt at 1B?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Will Torres be around in 2013?

And who knows if we even re-sign Ross. He's a free agent this offseason. Though he has said how much he loves it here and he shouldn't command too much money.

But, yes that is a good possibility.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with best.. Not sure Andy OR Mr. Gellar will be with the G's come '13. I could see Peguero, Brown and Neal in there, though.

Heck, maybe even Nate navigates the minefield and is still competing for PT...

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Interesting comment made by Sabean on The Razor and Mr. T. Commenting on Belts AAA performance - still skeptical of the quality of AAA pitching and notes most of the pitchers are throwing him middle to away, while Belts outzone is inside. Basically implied that his AAA may not translate to the majors.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting comment made by Sabean on The Razor and Mr. T. Commenting on Belts AAA performance - still skeptical of the quality of AAA pitching and notes most of the pitchers are throwing him middle to away, while Belts outzone is inside. Basically implied that his AAA may not translate to the majors.

Lots of talk at DrB's about Belt the last month or so...

I have REAL concern over his aggressiveness. If he is going up there with his priority to look at pitches instead of swinging at pitches, than he IS what we saw the first month (a .210 hitter with a .310 OBP; AKA a AAAA player).

Bonds was looking to swing first, but he held off of the bad pitches. Belt looks like he is LOOKING for the bad pitches so he does not have to swing.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think what's clear (good posts those last two BTW) is that Belt should be able to come up and contribute, but anyone who thinks his AAA line will just be slightly less in the bigs will probably be disappointed.

Especially the first year, he's gotta learn like everyone else.

Think .250/.350/.425 maybe?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think what's clear (good posts those last two BTW) is that Belt should be able to come up and contribute, but anyone who thinks his AAA line will just be slightly less in the bigs will probably be disappointed.

Especially the first year, he's gotta learn like everyone else.

Think .250/.350/.425 maybe?

He'll do OK at first, and then other teams will have too much video on him and he'll suck.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Lots of talk at DrB's about Belt the last month or so...

I have REAL concern over his aggressiveness. If he is going up there with his priority to look at pitches instead of swinging at pitches, than he IS what we saw the first month (a .210 hitter with a .310 OBP; AKA a AAAA player).

Bonds was looking to swing first, but he held off of the bad pitches. Belt looks like he is LOOKING for the bad pitches so he does not have to swing.

Yep. When Bonds was at his ungodly peek ( :behindsofa: ) where he only saw one or two strikes a night, he was always ready to unload on them.

I think you've nicely framed the boundaries of Belt's expected performance though - somewhere between a 4A player and the greatest player ever.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. When Bonds was at his ungodly peek ( :behindsofa: ) where he only saw one or two strikes a night, he was always ready to unload on them.

I think you've nicely framed the boundaries of Belt's expected performance though - somewhere between a 4A player and the greatest player ever.

No one can accuse me of pussy-footing around.

When I take a stand, I take a stand!

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I see what you did there....:spy:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was reading today about Belt that he IS more aggressive in Fresburg...however, a minor worry is that his contact percentage (70) is down. Shortly put: he's swinging more, but not putting more balls in play.

I stress this is a MINOR worry.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sofa king close.

Torture!

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From ESPN in:

There were legitimate reasons to send Belt down after a poor start, given that he hadn't spent much time in Triple-A and the Giants could benefit from him having less service time. Belt's been destroying minor league pitchers since his demotion (.384/.525/.562 for Fresno in 99 plate appearances, which translates to .351/.475/.481) and with Pablo Sandoval out for at least another month -- and the Giants scoring the fewest runs in the NL -- the team can't afford to wait too much longer to get Belt back in the lineup.