• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kawhi wants out of San Antonio

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But doable.

They have expiring deals they could move.

It really does make a lot of sense.

So the Suns are going to move their expiring assets to free up cap space in order to trade for Lonzo and Ball so they can give them their 1st round pick next year?

Of course the Suns CAN do this if they want. But WHY would they want to do it? Why would they want to take on a horrible contract for the next 2 years?

I guess this is an improvement over the original claims that the Spurs would take Deng's contract as part of the trade.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW, I believe the Alan Williams contract is not guaranteed and Troy Daniels 3m could pretty easily be moved.

That gets you over 20m right there.

So they are going to make all these moves in order to have the privilege of taking on Deng's contract and the Ball Circus?

You guys are smoking crack.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think with Leonard's claim he's not signing anywhere but LA, brown is off the table.

When did Leonard claim he was not signing anywhere but LA? I must have missed that.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the Suns are going to move their expiring assets to free up cap space in order to trade for Lonzo and Ball so they can give them their 1st round pick next year?

Of course the Suns CAN do this if they want. But WHY would they want to do it? Why would they want to take on a horrible contract for the next 2 years?

I guess this is an improvement over the original claims that the Spurs would take Deng's contract as part of the trade.

Some teams had Ball #1 on their board last year.

If the suns are one of those teams, it's probably worth it.

Why are they giving up their 1st?

They could swap dudley for a guy making like 4 mil for the next 2 years, and basically get to the number they'd need to be at.

Maybe you lost a protected 2nd as well. Meh.

If you really like Ball, these trades are worth it.

Look at the Mozgov deal. Ball > Russell.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So they are going to make all these moves in order to have the privilege of taking on Deng's contract and the Ball Circus?

You guys are smoking crack.

If you ask me they should already be trying to move on from TJ Warren anyway.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some teams had Ball #1 on their board last year.

If the suns are one of those teams, it's probably worth it.

Why are they giving up their 1st?

They could swap dudley for a guy making like 4 mil for the next 2 years, and basically get to the number they'd need to be at.

Maybe you lost a protected 2nd as well. Meh.

If you really like Ball, these trades are worth it.

Look at the Mozgov deal. Ball > Russell.

Ball was a top 5 draft pick. But now he's played a year of basketball. If they were to redraft last year's class where would Ball go now? 8? 10? Maybe 6 at best?

I guess if the Suns believe that he is an elite PG waiting to happen and don't mind dealing with an almost certain to lose his mind Lavarr Ball, then they would be willing to make that deal. Seems like a pretty huge assumption though.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you ask me they should already be trying to move on from TJ Warren anyway.

Sure. The Suns should primarily focus on building their team into a competitor, whatever that entails. Taking on Deng's contract and giving up a 1st doesn't really help that.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ball was a top 5 draft pick. But now he's played a year of basketball. If they were to redraft last year's class where would Ball go now? 8? 10? Maybe 6 at best?

I guess if the Suns believe that he is an elite PG waiting to happen and don't mind dealing with an almost certain to lose his mind Lavarr Ball, then they would be willing to make that deal. Seems like a pretty huge assumption though.

btw. where are you seeing your numbers:

Phoenix Suns Team Payroll | Basketball-Reference.com

I see phoenix at 78 with an expected cap of 101.

Drop Alan Williams 5.5m and that drops you to 73.

If my math is right, that's 28m in space.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure. The Suns should primarily focus on building their team into a competitor, whatever that entails. Taking on Deng's contract and giving up a 1st doesn't really help that.

where is this giving up a first coming from? did i miss something?

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Disagree.

Other way to look at this.

You're basically getting ball on a 3/50 deal.

Not crazy at all depending on how you view him. But fact is kid was a plus 1.7 bpm as a rookie. Despite all his flaws. The ceiling is there.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
btw. where are you seeing your numbers:

Phoenix Suns Team Payroll | Basketball-Reference.com

I see phoenix at 78 with an expected cap of 101.

Drop Alan Williams 5.5m and that drops you to 73.

If my math is right, that's 28m in space.

Phoenix Suns 2017-18 Salary Cap

I was looking at their actual cap space which includes a cap hold for Payton which they are likely to renounce.

Again, making a bunch of moves to clear up cap space only to take on a guy who doesn't play AT ALL that will take most of that cap space for the next TWO years makes very little sense.

They need to believe that Lonzo Ball is going to be an elite PG.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
where is this giving up a first coming from? did i miss something?

This all started with Lance saying that the Lakers would get additional assets to give to the Spurs by dealing Ball and Deng to some other team and getting a protected first back in return.

Would the Suns take Deng if they got Ball as well? Yes. Or if not them then some other team looking for a young PG. But giving up a lottery pick, even a protected lottery pick, doesn't make a lot of sense.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,784.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think with Leonard's claim he's not signing anywhere but LA, brown is off the table.

Boston and Philly would be silly to offer much.....unless they talked to Leonard and got some type of guartantee he'd be willing to stay long term.....they could set back their franchise back in a bad way if they made an impulsive trade.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Spurs would rather have Kyrie than Horford, and the Celtics need Horford more than they need Kyrie. It makes sense from a fit standpoint, a financial standpoint and it mitigates their future injury risk too.

This is what I have been saying too.

And with nothing happening with Kawhi I think Lebron has to declare then sit it out a while

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,784.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phoenix Suns 2017-18 Salary Cap

I was looking at their actual cap space which includes a cap hold for Payton which they are likely to renounce.

Again, making a bunch of moves to clear up cap space only to take on a guy who doesn't play AT ALL that will take most of that cap space for the next TWO years makes very little sense.

They need to believe that Lonzo Ball is going to be an elite PG.

On that squad.....Ball doesn't have to be elite at all. Just what he is, a pass first that can run the offense. He's suited perfectly to what they need with Ayton, Booker, and Jackson.

Within 1 few seasons they'd be a legit team in the WC.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not even close.

If you had the choice between Terry Rozier and Lonzo Ball to be your point guard i take Rozier in a second. Guy kicked ass in the playoffs.

While Horford is not an elite talent, he is a very good player that is under contract. And the Sacramento and Memphis picks are much better picks than anything the Lakers can offer pick wise, and better pick wise than anything the Sixers can offer besides maybe that TOTALLY unprotected Miami pick.

I bet that type of offer- Rozier, Horford, and a solid first or two is EXACTLY the type of offer the Spurs are looking for rather than a marginal first rounder or two, and a couple high draft picks that have underperformed their draft slots.

Why would the Spurs want Horford and Rozier? Makes no sense.

And the Spurs don't want Ball, so it is moot. But Ball has more value because he is on his rookie deal 3 more years. Rozier is going to get paid next summer.

LogicMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. I think the Spurs can and will work with the Lakers if they have to. But to do that, they will need to have a way to save face.

Part of how they do that is by doing exactly what they are doing right now. Saying they think they can work things out with Kawhi, refusing to talk to the Lakers (or really any WC teams at this point), saying they're in no hurry and dragging it out for awhile.

If a 3rd team can be involved to take on Lonzo and the Deng contract...that's even better for them.

Then, they can say they looked under every rock, took the best offer available and didn't get saddled with the Deng contract.

Trojan I think Kawhi deal is imminent in the next few days with the Lakers. Magic wont let this moment get by him

LogicMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its all going down in the next few days boys................buckle up

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35