• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kawhi to Toronto

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might it be the guy who washes his car that said this?

I don't believe it.

But, it's out there.

Never say never.

So Leonard will zip up his parka, play an obligatory season with the Raptors, respectfully decline their offer for a long-term supermax contract and bid adieu to the Great White North next summer … just as the Lakers, who conspicuously have been signing free agents to one-year contracts, clear salary cap space for him to join LeBron James.

Right?

That’s the off-the-rack take.

Here’s what someone who knows Leonard as well as anybody told me privately: “He’s going to fall in love with Toronto – it’s going to happen. He’s not going to leave, I’m telling you.”

Raptors might become rapture

Don't be surprised if Kawhi Leonard warms to Toronto

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When people said Toronto wanted to make Kawhi feel at home and that the City could compete with LA, this isn't what I had in mind.

I honestly thought the crime rate would be a selling point, if he ever decided to have kids.

R.I.P

Takes a real piece of shit to murder children....

Multiple people shot outside restaurant in Toronto, police say

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When it's a situation such as this - Kawhi doesn't speak - that is exactly what "camp" means. They are his representation. It's akin to a person having legal representation when facing prosecution.

Those guys are hardly seasoned professionals is my point. They lack the finesse or at least business sense of real agents.

Reactions: LAD

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It can be a multi million dollar loss for athletes.
yah it can be a very significant amount that is for sure--- especially if you compare, say Texas with no state income tax, to a place like California with a state income tax of fucking 12.3%.

You of course only pay that on games you play in California, so thats home games, plus games against -say if you are a Clipper- the Lakers, Kings, and Warriors. So it is probably about 8% or so after all is said and done.

8% on, say a $200M dollar contract is of course $16M dollars.

And people wonder why pro-athletes can go broke?

say 200M contract--- and thats a HUGE contract.

35% federal
5% agent
in this circumstance about 8% state after adjustment
2% local say

just after agents and tax- you are down to 100M right off the bat......not that 100M is by any means a small amount of money- but that 16M is all of a sudden a lot more significant portion.

say you are only signing for 50M

17M goes to federal
4M goes to state
1M goes to local
2.5M goes to agent

before spending a dime you are down to $25.5M

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yah it can be a very significant amount that is for sure--- especially if you compare, say Texas with no state income tax, to a place like California with a state income tax of fucking 12.3%.

You of course only pay that on games you play in California, so thats home games, plus games against -say if you are a Clipper- the Lakers, Kings, and Warriors. So it is probably about 8% or so after all is said and done.

8% on, say a $200M dollar contract is of course $16M dollars.

And people wonder why pro-athletes can go broke?

say 200M contract--- and thats a HUGE contract.

35% federal
5% agent
in this circumstance about 8% state after adjustment
2% local say

just after agents and tax- you are down to 100M right off the bat......not that 100M is by any means a small amount of money- but that 16M is all of a sudden a lot more significant portion.

say you are only signing for 50M

17M goes to federal
4M goes to state
1M goes to local
2.5M goes to agent

before spending a dime you are down to $25.5M

You haven’t even gotten into things like clubhouse dues either. Although not sure if NBA teams pay that like mlb.

Point is that the money you see on tv isn’t what they get.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You haven’t even gotten into things like clubhouse dues either. Although not sure if NBA teams pay that like mlb.

Point is that the money you see on tv isn’t what they get.
it is crazy that, after taxes, agent fees, etc....that before they spend A PENNY they are down to half of what their contracts were.

I thought Ohio had a bad max tax rate......

California at over 12% is freaking unbelievable at the top marginal rate. How is that state broke? lol. it makes no sense. Especially with all the tech companies, there, movie companies, etc.....the revenue is just bonkers. Its more than a lot of countries!

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it is crazy that, after taxes, agent fees, etc....that before they spend A PENNY they are down to half of what their contracts were.

California at over 12% is freaking unbelievable at the top marginal rate. How is that state broke? lol. it makes no sense. Especially with all the tech companies, there, movie companies, etc.....the revenue is just bonkers. Its more than a lot of countries!

Don’t even get me started on the jock tax. It’s pure theft.

Players get fined for missing practice, which means it’s part of their earning capacity, which means states should not be stealing a % of 1/41 if their paycheck. It should be far less as All league days count toward pay.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

State's not broke. Record surplus actually.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"California state government has so much money this year that it’s opening two new savings accounts so it can keep socking away even more cash for the rainy day that Gov. Jerry Brown says is just over the horizon.

That tactic — setting a course to pile up $16 billion in savings over the next 12 months — should reassure taxpayers that cuts to government services won’t be as severe as they were a decade ago when the state’s economy plummeted into the Great Recession."

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I didn't get why Kuzma was untouchable. He will be a solid pro but I don't see him ever being a star. If the Spurs were asking for Kuzma, I don't get why they wouldn't do it especially since all reports were Kawhi would resign if he got traded to LA.

Seriously?!? How many times does it have to be stated that it wasn't about which young guys were or were not "untouchable"?

It was about the Spurs reportedly wanting ALL of the young guys except Ball,
plus 2 future firsts and 2 "swaps".

It's going to be a deeper class, so the Lakers can still get Kawhi or another max guy and keep their young guys. Not sure what's so difficult to understand.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if Kawhi is for sure healthy that would be a mistake. He has over 3 years on KD. He has to show he can be a star bur he has the talent.

Meant to type AD, not KD. Taking AD over Kawhi would not be a mistake. But taking KD over him would be.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meant to type AD, not KD. Taking AD over Kawhi would not be a mistake. But taking KD over him would be.

You just need whoever will be the best for the next 3 years with bron.

You figure things out after that.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m just pointing out the story. Kawhi might resign like PG did. A lot of what kawhi didn’t like about SA can be addressed by Toronto. I could easily see him resigning in Toronto. I think that’s a better possibility at this point than him going to the Lakers.

lol.

Some people will believe anything.

What has Kawhi said that gives you any indication that he is already considering staying in Toronto?

I'm not saying he won't. But considering he probably hasn't even spoken to all of his new teammates yet, let alone, had a practice or game with them...I'd say it's just a minute or 2 too early to be talking about which way he's leaning.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol.

Some people will believe anything.

What has Kawhi said that gives you any indication that he is already considering staying in Toronto?

I'm not saying he won't. But considering he probably hasn't even spoken to all of his new teammates yet, let alone, had a practice or game with them...I'd say it's just a minute or 2 too early to be talking about which way he's leaning.
Yeah, it’s way too early to say he’s going to the Lakers next year. I agree. That was kind of my point. The story changes.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You just need whoever will be the best for the next 3 years with bron.

You figure things out after that.

Yes and no.

The idea is for the Lakers to be set up, not only for the time Lebron is here, but beyond that.

They definitely want to try to win while Lebron is here, but a big part of the reason that they didn't give San Antonio what they wanted was because they want to try to hang on to as many of the young guys as they can.

They may well end up having to trade some of the kids. But as of now, they look to have a good shot at signing a younger max guy next off-season to go with the young core.

So, I do agree to a point that they need to do what they need to do to get back to contending status while they have Lebron....but, if they can be contenders AND keep at least most of the young guys, then that's the best option.