• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

JvR

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
after year one what do we think of him? still as promising as a #2 pick? little down on him because you expected more?

what do you guys think? i'll post what i think later this evening

ProppRules

Flyers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hard to say yet. He looked great for a 21 year old up until December. THen he looke dfatigued for about 4 months. Hopefully that is a sign of his youth and the length of an NHL season, not his conditioning.

flyermaniaa90

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think he needs to get stronger in the offseason...he looked weak and tired... 20 to 30 goal scorer down the line...thats not bad but i dont see big numbers coming from him for the second pick in the draft...

anderwho2513

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has everything you could want in terms of offensive talent. When he's on, he can easily be one of the top players in the league with his size, speed, shot, and stickhandling.

The only thing lacking is the non-stop motor, and that's probably the most important piece.

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also think if he works on his conditioning/strength he'll be just fine. 20-30 goals sounds about right to me too.

scottflyers88

Lets Go Flyers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
he has tons of skill and speed. he needs to work on endurance. he also needs to work on his play in the corners. he was a point per game player through the first 20 games or something last year. i could see him as a 30 goal 70 point guy in a few years.

kevgar44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Who was picked Number 2 the year after JVR?

Drew Doughty. At the time I wanted us to trade JVR to LA for their number 2, as at that time we wanted more D and I knew Doughty was a can't miss.

I would much rather have Doughty (or damn ping pong balls, Kane) than JVR. That being said I think he can still be a solid player.

It is funny people are saying here they think he can be a 20 or 30 goal scorer. That is not what you should get from the 2nd pick in the draft - can you say Malkin?

People are crappin all over Jeff Carter (who was picked 11th) and he is in the top 10 in the league in goals scored the last 2 years.

Oh well, I think the goals for JVR have to be set higher as to where he was taken in the draft. Just my humble opinion.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expected a Teemu Selanne rookie season outta him. He couldnt get half of that. Dump him. :)
He was ok for a rookie. He'll get better.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ya to be honest i cant decide what to think.. i thought we'd get a little more from him.. thought he'd be a little more visible on the ice.. but for the most part, unless he scored (or was playing atrocious defense) i didnt notice him.. in other words, i thought he'd control the play more so i was a little disappointed.. but i guess giroux controlled the play while he was on the ice, i dno.. he did put up great numbers through the first half though.. i think he's gotta work on conditioning ALOT (i'm sure they all will be).. but i also think he needs to bulk up, and work on his defense

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd really like to see him get into a scrap or two to get his attitude for the NHL straight.

Seriously though --- he's got immense talent for days, but was very timid along the boards and in the corners.

Maybe if he spent some time with Carts and Briere learning how to deal with the rough stuff, his overall game will pick up.

...and that's my two cents worth on JvR.

Last edited by a moderator:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd really like to see him get into a scrap or two to get his attitude for the NHL straight.

Seriously though --- he's got immense talent for days, but was very timid along the boards and in the corners.

Maybe if spent some time with Carts and Briere learning how to deal with the rough stuff, his overall game will pick up.

...and that's my two cents worth on JvR.

eww.. i'd much rather him learn the rough stuff (controlling the puck when getting roughed up) from richards, giroux, or leino.. carter gives it up way too easy.. briere is a great choice though :)

scottflyers88

Lets Go Flyers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
jvr just had a learning year. you guys forget he is a power forward and went right from the ncaa to the nhl. tavares was picked first and was not very impressive and he had much more ice time and powerplay time.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had expected him to start in AHL and be a mid season call up, i.e. Giroux. He had some good streaks and disappeared at times. He had some good chances and did not finish. I think a big part of that was because he was not used to every goalie being so good. I think this was a good learning experience. That being said he need to get up to the 60 point range this year. I can see him being a 70-80 point player. Is that, however, enough out of the 2 pick? Probably not.:(

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes. Learning year. A crazy first year. Very long, bumpy season the Flyers had.

scottflyers88

Lets Go Flyers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I had expected him to start in AHL and be a mid season call up, i.e. Giroux. He had some good streaks and disappeared at times. He had some good chances and did not finish. I think a big part of that was because he was not used to every goalie being so good. I think this was a good learning experience. That being said he need to get up to the 60 point range this year. I can see him being a 70-80 point player. Is that, however, enough out of the 2 pick? Probably not.:(

i do not even think of him as a 2 pick. it really just depends on the draft class. it is not like he will be worse than projected. it is just that in another draft he would be a lower pick. that is like comparing every first pick to ovechkin.

anderwho2513

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jvr just had a learning year. you guys forget he is a power forward and went right from the ncaa to the nhl. tavares was picked first and was not very impressive and he had much more ice time and powerplay time.

Tavares shouldn't have been picked first. He has a wicked shot, but he's a horrible skater, stickhandler, and defensive player. Garth Snow strikes again!

You can't compare draft slots from year to year. It varies too much. There were a bunch guys from 2008 who probably would have went #1 overall in 2007 or 2009, but because they were all in the same draft, only one got the honor. Same thing with 2003, just an unbelievably deep draft. Then the next two drafts, outside of the first 2 picks, just blow horribly.

JvR could be elite, but I think he'll settle for good-great. At least he's not settling for 3rd line checking center like his predecessor in the #2 overall slot.

chy1127

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whenever you have the #2 overall pick, you need to get great value. Will Hall be as goosd as OV? Most likely not but I would expect to be a "special" player. Of course it doesn't always work that way, but he was the 2nd player drafted. Jordan Staal comes to mind. #2 over all in 2006. 49 points in each of the last 2 seasons and as a Selke nominee last year. Jvr should have a higher point production. He was highly touted and some had him as high as Kane. It is still early but I think I have seen the skill that you would expect for someone drafted that high. Maybe not next year, but I can always hope.:cool:

scottflyers88

Lets Go Flyers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i think jvr has more skill than kane. i just think kane is quicker. jvr has these bursts of speed when he flys. then he has these times where he looks slow.

chy1127

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then again there is always Alexie Yashin:D:D:D:D